Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Old 04-12-2019, 11:04 AM
gt9729b
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New (Mid-Engine) Corvette

Assuming that most of y'all have seen the news about the new Corvette announcement. https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

Basically, it appears the new, mid-engine Corvette is going to be a real thing. Reveal is currently slated for 7/18/19. Personally, I've not been a huge fan of Corvettes but they are great cars. ...and they make some great race cars. Will be exciting and curious to see where the new mid-engine platform takes them. There could definitely be a monster in the making here.

Anybody going to make the jump or add one to the stable? Of course, it's really early seeing as there aren't any official specs yet, but still...
The following users liked this post:
Tommy913 (08-05-2019)

Popular Reply

07-19-2019, 01:04 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by n d
Any mid engine supercar ...... like if China made a cheap Ferrari!
Corvette’s should have stayed front engine muscle/sports cars/ supercar.
Sounds like you're threatened by it.

I think they hit a home run and the sportscar industry will be all the better because of it.

When the z06 version comes out in a year with 650+ hp, mid engine and 3550... It will be a true force to be reckoned with on the track.

While I will miss the nasty big front engine hp, you can't deny the handling benefits of mid engine!

Cheers to good competition!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 04-12-2019, 11:29 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

I bought a 1992 when it hit 300HP, up from the 1991's 245HP.
It was a very reliable car until I caused it to catch on fire.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm thinking of getting one. I've become more value-based in my buying over the past several years. Lower level cars such as Corvettes and my old 14 GT500 have gotten so much faster and better, while Porsches, specifically 911s, have priced through the roof, and everyone seems to be right on their butt in performance, for a whole lot less $. The 981 Spyder was a relative bargain. The Grand Sport is a heck of a value. Just picked up a Factory Five Roadster that is a Raucous little heathen for $40,000. If the C8 really starts at $65,000 it's going to be a giant killer......but only if it's a MT. I truly hope they don't F that up.
JBsZ06 (10-04-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I'm thinking of getting one. I've become more value-based in my buying over the past several years. Lower level cars such as Corvettes and my old 14 GT500 have gotten so much faster and better, while Porsches, specifically 911s, have priced through the roof, and everyone seems to be right on their butt in performance, for a whole lot less $. The 981 Spyder was a relative bargain. The Grand Sport is a heck of a value. Just picked up a Factory Five Roadster that is a Raucous little heathen for $40,000. If the C8 really starts at $65,000 it's going to be a giant killer......but only if it's a MT. I truly hope they don't F that up.
I've been following the C8, everything points to it being DCT only unfortunately.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:06 AM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans
I've been following the C8, everything points to it being DCT only unfortunately.
Yea, the C7 Z06 sold something like 90% or 80% automatic in the latter years. I was surprised how low the manual sales were on the Z06 when I saw it a while back. So, not surprising they won't offer stick on this car.

I did see that GM has a patent pending on a clutch by wire system, which could allow a clutch pedal as well as full automatic on the same car. Not sure how pedal feel would be on that, but maybe that's a real possibility for bringing stick back to the Corvettes
Old 04-13-2019, 12:35 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

if the 718 gt4 is stupid expensive then I might consider it. A Z06 track ready version would be awesome. As long as they've figured out how to cool the car.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:43 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I might consider it. Mid-engine, power, heritage, and perhaps getting away from the bore-scoring plague.
carlvs (07-27-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 01:45 AM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll be curious to see how the electrical systems perform in the first year. Supposedly the launch was delayed when the development team determined that the wiring harness was inadequate to meet the needs of all of the systems on the car. It's a cliche not to buy the first year of a new model, but sometimes cliche's have valid bases in fact.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:48 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 516 Likes on 194 Posts

I owned a C7 and it was one of my top 2 or 3 favourite cars that I've owned. I had no issues with it and it was stupid fast on a track.

The C7 Grand Sport, with only 466HP, puts up incredible track numbers, sounds good and has pretty decent technology. Fit/finish isn't up to Porsche standards but it is not that far off... or not as far off as people think. The C8 is going to be an absolute monster with the base model coming in over 500HP. It will be a car that starts well under $100,000 (they are saying $62,000 in the US) that will instantly compete at a GT3 or better level. When the Z06/ZR1 versions come out, I bet they will be setting performance benchmarks everywhere.

Chev made progress with the C7 on areas that previous Corvettes failed in. Too much is riding on the C8 for them to not do that again and in an even more meaningful way. They now have a mid-engine platform to support this. Unless someone simply needs a Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo badge, it will be hard to ignore the C8 or not at least look at it. I definitely will be.

Hard to say what it will really look like uncovered (people believe there is still a lot of trickery and things changed over production) but no doubt it will be a monster even in base form.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Viperguy324
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

They still overheat...And that's with the motor up front.. Until people track the hell out of this MR setup, i'll pass and let the other solve the problems.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:09 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 516 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperguy324
They still overheat...And that's with the motor up front.. Until people track the hell out of this MR setup, i'll pass and let the other solve the problems.
The Z06 overheated. The NA cars had no problems at all. I had none in my car with tons of track hours. Name a car without an issue... the GT4 has the transmission and strut tower problem, the GT3 had engine issues, etc. Wouldn't stop me from buying the GT4 and an issue a past generation Corvette had wouldn't stop me from buying a new one. Besides, GM developed this car from scratch so, knowing all of the heat issues the Z06 had, I'm pretty sure they will have sorted that in this car. Regardless, the car will likely have an issue... just like most every other car.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:00 AM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure if the scoop on the door is a add on to fool us while the balance of scoop on qtr is truly part of the design ????
Old 04-13-2019, 09:49 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by chapmans
I've read same articles, just finding it difficult to believe that zero variants of Corvette will be offered with MT. Huge mistake IMO.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:01 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
For the serious track guy the Corvette offers a car for those who don't have unlimited budgets. The base car will have 500 HP, and there will be a smaller 4.2-liter turbocharged DOHC V8 that will pump out around 650 horsepower. At the top of the range will a twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter DOHC V8 that could generate in excess of 800 horsepower. My guess is that the mid HP Vette will sticker for a little over $100K, and blow away any car anywhere near that price range. I'll certainly take a look at the C8, since I'm getting tired of Porsche's pricing and sky high ADMs on their GT cars. For example a local dealer had a 991 GT3RS with a sticker around $200K, and a ADM of $30K. So the ADM is around half the price of a base C8.
carlvs (07-27-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 10:40 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The Corvette really is a great car, and most of all, a great bang for the buck. However, I don't care how good it is, with or without a mid-eninge, because I could never see myself driving one. The stigma that comes with owning a Vette is just so tainted IMO. It just screams mid life crisis, old man, redneck, douche or whatever. I'm sorry! I honestly wish it wasn't so and I hate that it is like that, but I just don't think I could get over it. About the only way I could see myself in a Vette is with a used, dedicated track car. The second reason I would most likely never buy a new one, is that their resale sucks. Just the other day I read an article that the Grand Sport was discounted by $15k of MSRP. See here:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26945/...-falling-sales

Just think what that does to the value of those that bought one before Chevy decided to dump these. A buddy of mine bought one a couple of years ago and he probably lost $30k on it already, if not more, no thanks.

All that being said, kudos to Chevy for what they have done, maybe over time the reputation will change with this car, but stuff like that usually takes a long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?