Bore Scoring

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:08 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Bore Scoring

When did all this "Bore Scoring" start?
Is it just a Porsche problem....I had never heard of this a few years ago...
Did this just start with the introduction of the water cooled engines?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:32 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
There are many reasons for it. It’s all explains in the Flat6Innovations bore scoring series on YouTube. Do a search it’ll come up...
Old 07-14-2019, 11:15 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Subscribe to Jakes Rennvision video series on YouTube an get all the info one could ask for.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:37 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

And it’s not just a Porsche thing. Someone here experienced the same with a Hyundai their daughter owned. I’m sure there are other marques plagued with it as well.

Last edited by jllphan; 07-14-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan
And it’s not just a Porsche thing. Someone here experienced the same with a Hyundai their daughter owned. I’m sure there are other Marques plagued with it as well.
that was me, it's funny when I see Hyundai elantras go by I listen to them and many of them have the ticking noise.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:48 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Seems like I've read from Jake that he states that the bore scoring problem is the #1 and oldest mode of failure. It's just now that our cars have hit the 20 year mark that more are showing their asses. As others have said, check out "Rennvision" on YouTube and search for bore scoring. Jake spells it out better than anyone. This problem no only affects the M96, but M97 and 9A1 cars too. Yep, that means even the 991 with Alusil can suffer from bore scoring.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:48 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

....I had never heard of this a few years ago...
That's in large part due to the aftermarket vendors recently learning they can make big money by hyping this "problem" a la the IM$ business model.
The following 3 users liked this post by DreamCarrera:
dak911 (07-15-2019), HenryPcar (07-16-2019), User 63031 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
That's in large part due to the aftermarket vendors recently learning they can make big money by hyping this "problem" a la the IM$ business model.
Nobody "hyped" me...This is a problem that can be diagnosed. I've never heard of anyone saying let's rebuild your engine to "prevent" scoring from occurring. Maybe I'm listening to different people.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:32 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Nobody "hyped" me...This is a problem that can be diagnosed. I've never heard of anyone saying let's rebuild your engine to "prevent" scoring from occurring. Maybe I'm listening to different people.
Billy,

Your listening, lot better than most do like finding fault in how its diagnosis or symptoms are presented.
Sorry to read this earlier, but good to hear that your going to address it properly.

I don't think anyone "hyped" you into this problem, but with Jake's help you were able to diagnose it properly.
whether you used his shop or not is to me irrelevant. though I do think he is a honest and trust worthy vendor..

Mke
Old 07-15-2019, 09:49 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

^^^Thanks Mike.

I guess it upsets me when somebody "insinuates" scoring is not a problem just a sales technique and if it does occur it's still not a problem. Scoring is a problem in any engine when/if it occurs. My previous profession was a manager with a major railroad supervising the maintenance/repair/overhaul of diesel locomotives. I cannot tell you how many power assemblies we changed due to scoring. If it was all just "hype" we could have saved millions in material/labor/downtime. It is NOT hype! I've seen what scored liners can do to large engines in my work career as well as smaller engines in my racing endeavors. I wouldn't want that to happen to any car I own.

I know there are people who have run scored liner engines for long periods of time by just adding oil. To me that's rolling the dice and creating more internal damage. If that is what they want it is their car/pocket book. To each their own and more power to them if it works out.

End of Rant
Old 07-15-2019, 10:17 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Who exactly are you referring to when you say aftermarket vendors that "hype" the problem? Millennium Technologies? LN Engineering? Hartech? Flat 6 Innovations?

Which one are you referring to?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
^^^Thanks Mike.

I guess it upsets me when somebody "insinuates" scoring is not a problem just a sales technique and if it does occur it's still not a problem. Scoring is a problem in any engine when/if it occurs. My previous profession was a manager with a major railroad supervising the maintenance/repair/overhaul of diesel locomotives. I cannot tell you how many power assemblies we changed due to scoring. If it was all just "hype" we could have saved millions in material/labor/downtime. It is NOT hype! I've seen what scored liners can do to large engines in my work career as well as smaller engines in my racing endeavors. I wouldn't want that to happen to any car I own.

I know there are people who have run scored liner engines for long periods of time by just adding oil. To me that's rolling the dice and creating more internal damage. If that is what they want it is their car/pocket book. To each their own and more power to them if it works out.

End of Rant
Exactly! Well said.

I guess if we start talking about head cracks and intermix, it's all fair game to troll Len Hoffman and make him out as an opportunist? He doesn't even fool with forums and I'm sure someone would accuse him of over-hyping the problem.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Just seems "new" to me...
Every engine/transmission has it's problems....
The first I remember was back in the 70's with the BMW 2800 engines, Bavaria/3.0's)..they had an overheating problem (solved by having a larger/ more core radiator made) , and a cam problem on one of the cylinders....
Next I remember the early 911's had to have Hydraulic oil lines for the lifters added and a "pop off valve"for backfires
As far as transmissions go...THEY seem to be much improved and "bulletproof"
Now its IMS and Bore Scoring...whats next?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:40 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

That's it, just bury your head in the sand and pretend it's not making that "lifter noise"... Oh did I roll my eyes yet?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Now its IMS and Bore Scoring...whats next?
The sky is not falling. These are great cars. Yes, they have their problems, but if you use good situation awareness and sound preventive measures, you'll get years of reliable use. I don't have time to get wrapped up in forum/vendor drama, but still wise enough to listen to trustworthy sources of information. After much research, I recognized that the plain bearing IMS design of the Mezger engine was superior to the sealed ball bearing that Porsche used in the M96/M97 engines. Therefore, I didn't mess around and had it changed out with the IMS Solution along with the RMS and AOS. I plan to do the same about the other known wear parts that could lead to serious engine problems.

Quick Reply: Bore Scoring