Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is everyone using as a window sunshade/reflector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 PM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is everyone using as a window sunshade/reflector?

Car is a 951. Having trouble locating one that already has the cut out for the rear view mirror, and the one that I did find, appears not to go all the way to the top of the windshield.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 951 came with a sunscreen from Aviation Covers Inc and the fit and quality are awesome.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:21 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Look into solar window tints which you can actually get without a tint while they still stop over 3/4 of the heat and all the UV. Obviously another good thing about them is they also work while you’re driving. I have solar on the front windscreen of one of my street cars and also on my track car here in Florida, happy with the results.
The following users liked this post:
jtedgar (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 01:25 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 111 Posts

Get these

https://www.autogeek.net/heatshield-2.html

Fits well, doesn't disintegrate, works.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

WalMart. The collapsible circles. Easy to stow. Easy to use. Easy to pay. About $8.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by George Boss
...not to go all the way to the top of the windshield.
After fitting, fold down the sun visors. That's what I do
Old 07-12-2019, 04:01 PM
No.15
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Get these

https://www.autogeek.net/heatshield-2.html

Fits well, doesn't disintegrate, works.
I have the covercraft one as well and I like it. If you shop around you can find them much cheaper. I payed less than half the price at autogeek on Amazon, but it was only for the green one. I don't care about the color so I got it.. EDIT: NM I think the autogeek link is for qty 2 my bad

1 left
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-15-2019, 10:31 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Advance Auto used to sell one specifically for our cars, it had to be order from the manufacturer though... might be worth a shot.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's an awesome supplier:

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-...sche-944-coupe

They make one for the windshield and the rear hatch glass.

If you sign up with your email address, they have 10% off and free shipping with purchase of two items frequently.
And they ship very quickly.
And I have no affiliation with their company other than being a happy customer!
Old 07-16-2019, 04:56 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Paul, do you have photos of them fitted please? Do they fully cover front and rear, no gaps?

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Look into solar window tints which you can actually get without a tint while they still stop over 3/4 of the heat and all the UV. Obviously another good thing about them is they also work while you’re driving. I have solar on the front windscreen of one of my street cars and also on my track car here in Florida, happy with the results.
I'm a big fan of ceramic tint and really need to get my 944 done since I have no A/C. Only problem is I can't legally tint the front windscreen here so only the sides and hatch glass can be done (legal max of 30%). Summers here are intense and high UV so I'm disappointed I can't completely enclose my interior.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by J1NX3D
I'm a big fan of ceramic tint and really need to get my 944 done since I have no A/C. Only problem is I can't legally tint the front windscreen here so only the sides and hatch glass can be done (legal max of 30%). Summers here are intense and high UV so I'm disappointed I can't completely enclose my interior.
You can get clear, UV-blocking tint that will cut down on heat transfer into the cabin while not reducing the transmission of visible light.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I park in my yard by my trees..
Old 07-17-2019, 12:56 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BReif61
You can get clear, UV-blocking tint that will cut down on heat transfer into the cabin while not reducing the transmission of visible light.
Unfortunately that is still applying something to the front windscreen, even if clear. Sorry I misled by saying I can't 'tint' the front windscreen. That was one of my first questions when I got my daily wagon done. They wont allow anything applied to the front windscreen except a banner and that is only allowed to come down so far.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:42 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Just got done making myself 2 of these for my 944 and 968. Total cost was $40 for the material and there's enough to do 3 more so $8 a piece. Not completely finished as I need to find a binding foot for my sewing machine so I can bind the edges in fabric but they fit perfectly with no gaps at all. They stand up on their own just fine but a proper binding will help them stay a bit more rigid. Total time is about 20 minutes to make one. This is all I did:

First was making a pattern. Laid out some newspapers and taped them together to make a piece big enough to cover the windshield. I used a few pieces of tape to hold it onto the car. Once you get the paper laid out, use a Sharpie to trace around the outside seal to get an idea of where the windshield line is. From there you need to trace about 1/2" inside of that line as that is how big your sun screen needs to be. This is super easy on the sides and top. The bottom line however isn't so clear cut. To get the bottom line I folded the paper up to where the black paint on the glass stops to get an idea of where the bottom of the shade needed to be. This line does not need an inside line drawn as the shade will slide under there inside between the glass and dash. From here you basically connect the lines so to speak. This is your pattern. While you're here, also note where your mirror is on the pattern.

Cut out your pattern. From here, I also folded my pattern in half to make sure both sides were identical. If they aren't, trim them to make them the same.

This is what I used to make the shade. Reflectix insulation from Menards. Home Depot doesn't carry it where I live and not sure about Lowes but you can also order it online. It is the exact same stuff every other sun shade is made of. It's basically double thick bubble wrap with mylar on both sides. You need to get the 48" wide stuff as our windshields measure 27" tall. Yes, there is a lot of waste here but I didn't want to mess with trying to seam it to save a few bucks.

Unroll a length of the insulation and lay out your pattern. For reference, the shade ends up being about 27" by 54" wide. Trace around the pattern with a Sharpie and cut it out with a pair of sharp scissors. Don't try to use kitchen shears as it won't cut this stuff. Use good scissors. Even a cheap pair of new scissors is better than trying to cut it with dull ones. Also, fold your pattern in half and crease it. Use this center fold to line it up with a row of bubbles on the Reflectix to make sure the shade will be straight and even. This will help it fold up nicely when it's done.

You also want to cut out the mirror hole. Each car will be different especially if your windshield has ever been replaced. I found out the hard way that my 944 mirror sits about an inch lower than my 968 mirror. This is why the mirror hole is so big. I also rounded the corners here just to make it look nicer.

From here, you can leave it as-is or you can try to bind the edges. It fits and works perfectly fine without the binding but it would be more rigid with it. When I find a binding foot for my ancient sewing machine I'll bind them but for now, this will do.

So there you go, how to make a custom fitted sun shade for $8. Not hard, takes longer to go to the store to get the Reflectix than it does to make a pattern and cut it out. Hope it helps.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 PM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you gentlemen. Great info here!

Quick Reply: What is everyone using as a window sunshade/reflector?