How to own a 993 for decades W/O an Accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts
Default How to own a 993 for decades W/O an Accident

Many of the driving habits I use in my 993 I developed riding a motorcycle as they seem to apply to my 993.

1) Assume you can’t be seen; A 993 has a low roofline falling below the window sills of many vehicles, this makes a 993 all but invisible to many other drivers;
2) Assume the drivers around you are oblivious or incompetent, or both; Situational awareness and obeying traffic control devices seem optional these days for many drivers;
3) Use your brain continually to update the scene unfolding before you, and plan escape routes anticipating common driving errors by others; Situational awareness is king!
4) Relinquish your right-of-way at a second’s notice; There is little value in asserting your rights on public roads when others are unaware of the rules of driving or don't respect them;
5) Provide for leaving space IN ALL DIRECTIONS;
6) Constantly change your positional relationship to the cars that surround you in traffic so they continue to see you;
7) Practice emergency maneuvers with your vehicle in an empty parking lot: know your cars handling characteristics;

I encourage others to add to my list in reply below
Andy
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (06-23-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Great tips from a fellow biker.
Biking teaches you be much more aware as you are so vulnerable.
On the freeway from Detroit international to Ann Arbor I was once followed by a woman on her phone, adjusting her hair and steering with her knees at aound 70 mph
Look at preceeding drives manouvers, road positioning, unneccesary braking, lane changes without indication, get them in your rear view asap.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 AM
Oberst
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Many of the driving habits I use in my 993 I developed riding a motorcycle as they seem to apply to my 993.

1) Assume you can’t be seen; A 993 has a low roofline falling below the window sills of many vehicles, this makes a 993 all but invisible to many other drivers;
2) Assume the drivers around you are oblivious or incompetent, or both; Situational awareness and obeying traffic control devices seem optional these days for many drivers;
3) Use your brain continually to update the scene unfolding before you, and plan escape routes anticipating common driving errors by others; Situational awareness is king!
4) Relinquish your right-of-way at a second’s notice; There is little value in asserting your rights on public roads when others are unaware of the rules of driving or don't respect them;
6) Constantly change your positional relationship to the cars that surround you in traffic so they continue to see you;
7) Practice emergency maneuvers with your vehicle in an empty parking lot: know your cars handling characteristics;

Andy
This is a very informative and practical post. I agree with everything you said and practice the same points in my daily driving. I would also add something I read elsewhere. The OP said that when you go out for a drive in your sports car/ toy/ motorcycle that you should "not have anything else" on your mind. For example work, family issues, financial issues, etc. You should be fully committed to driving and practicing the points you listed above.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi Andy:

You know you just jinxed yourself, right? Haha.

--Michael
Old 06-19-2019, 11:29 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
Hi Andy:

You know you just jinxed yourself, right? Haha.

--Michael
I'll let you know what happens!
Andy
Old 06-19-2019, 11:58 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Well articulated, important,. Thanks Andy. This thread might rival tires and oil!...
Problem is that given the truths you and others relate, which are essential to both occupants and our cars being safe and accident free, that having to be on such vigilant guard nearly every second, and we need to, that such reality often impedes some of the pleasure and rewards in driving. our great cars.
It' often nigh impossible to maintain safe distances between ourselves and other vehicles, in front or behind. If there is such space, which we deliberately create and maintain, some fool will fill it, and usually w/o signaling, and often doing so too closely in their knee-jerk maneuver. Looking in a rear mirror and seeing someone quickly pulling in behind, not more than a foot or two from my bumper, at speed, is frequent.. Any false or other sudden move, and it's bing bang.
We are poorly seen in parking lots, especially as crew cabs and bigger higher SUV's rule America.. Their length and breadth impede our visibility, and demand ever more driving skills and vigilance.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:21 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

DRL can’t hurt. My mod (link in my sig) lets 993 fog lights work independent of headlights- if you leave your fog light switch pulled out, your fogs will come automatically when you start the car.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM
993pbug
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Andy
Well stated and almost identical to my habits that were also formed while riding motorcycles. Unfortunately, you could be the best and most cautious rider, but all it takes is 1 idiotic / inattentive driver to ruin it all.

I like to think that the above points would help make us all idiot-proof - the only problem is that they keep making smarter idiots!
Old 06-19-2019, 12:54 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

I keep my LED 'turbo fog lights' on all the time. Rears light as well, and I've added additional Tore LED's to the unused rear fog assemblies in our rear center plastic piece.
Technically illegal, never been stopped. I also have a copy of a comprehensive study in Australia a few years ago showing dark cars are substantially more likely to be involved in accidents, especially at night. Will show in traffic court, if necessary!
Absent side marker/directionals on our U.S. spec cars, aiding in being been in lane changing, is a dumb omission by the Feds here decades ago.Not all agree.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:18 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Very well stated - excellent information and I always appreciate such reminders to be vigilant.

It is my assumption other drivers are not only completely unaware of my presence on the road, but they wouldn't alter their actions in any way f they were.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:55 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

Andy
Well said Andy! I also as mentioned earlier turn my lights on at dusk......a white car also gets lost sometimes in the bright light and the lights come on for what that is worth.......have had good luck for over 20 years and counting.........have owned 4 911s and agree with your list wholeheartedly, as I have never had an accident in a Porsche......we get out of the way fast
Old 06-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

-Drive in a manner such that no other driver has to react to what you're doing.
-Drive as if your horn doesn't work.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:13 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I've owned my 993 for nearly 14 years. During that time, a Rennlist member opened their door into my driver's side rear wheel arch (leaving a dent), and another Rennlist member smacked into the rear of my 993 (damaging my bumper).

Friendly fire is painful.

Andreas
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (06-23-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

You can do all this and more and still get hit. There are no guarantees in 'Merica 2019, brought to you (usually) by texting, etc.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
-Drive in a manner such that no other driver has to react to what you're doing.
-Drive as if your horn doesn't work.
+1 very good!

Quick Reply: How to own a 993 for decades W/O an Accident