Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did TWO GT3RS.2 really have engine failures at Watkins Glen??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 AM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did TWO GT3RS.2 really have engine failures at Watkins Glen??

From a friend who was at Watkins Glen this past week; he reports that two .2 GT3RS had engine failures in a series of a couple days.

One had the engine pop down the back straight and the engine caught fire from the oil blowing everywhere. And the other, apparently popped between turns 7 and 8, sending motor parts and oil all over the track.

Does anyone else have anymore details about these failures? Or can they refute them, maybe/hopefully? Are there other motor failures that have been happening with the .2 RS engines?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:37 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vtxdrew
From a friend who was at Watkins Glen this past week; he reports that two .2 GT3RS had engine failures in a series of a couple days.

One had the engine pop down the back straight and the engine caught fire from the oil blowing everywhere. And the other, apparently popped between turns 7 and 8, sending motor parts and oil all over the track.

Does anyone else have anymore details about these failures? Or can they refute them, maybe/hopefully? Are there other motor failures that have been happening with the .2 RS engines?
True or not, it's the oil catch cans that break. Just check yours for any small leak or tiny crack. A bunch died already from this.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:41 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
True or not, it's the oil catch cans that break. Just check yours for any small leak or tiny crack. A bunch died already from this.
Can you give a description or picture where these are located and what they look like?
Old 06-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Is this just the RS or is it the same for the regular .2 4.0?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:11 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
Is this just the RS or is it the same for the regular .2 4.0?
It's the same engine. There's been several folks with the GT3 that have had the tank replaced.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:03 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Is this the thing with the bad weld? A few GT3s have reportedly had engine replacements due to the bad seem. Check for any drops of oil on the inside of the diffuser/engine cover.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Is this the thing with the bad weld? A few GT3s have reportedly had engine replacements due to the bad seem. Check for any drops of oil on the inside of the diffuser/engine cover.
That's the main oil supply tank. That's quite different from a catch can, unless someone is being very loose with terminology. I'm not sure these cars have a catch can, so maybe that's what was meant...

But you certainly wouldn't need an engine replacement to replace the oil supply tank - totally external to the motor (what makes this a true dry sump engine). I can't see this tank rupturing catastrophically (which would be necessary for an engine failure) - the leaky tanks that have been reported just had a minor drip...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...miles-odo.html
Old 06-15-2019, 03:58 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As a reference, here's the picture of the only plastic 'catch-can' looking like device (circled in red). It's not a catch can. Primarily it's an engine case vacuum regulator valve with air/oil separation capabilities. PET calls it 'oil separator' part number: 918.107.031.01
I've taken it apart, it's a fairly simple design. There are 3 plastic tabs-like clips that hold the top lid in place. If these breaks and the lid pops open, hot vapor-air/oil will splatter.

This plastic engine vacuum regulator valve and the external oil tank are the only two ancillary things that would contain oil on the top part of the engine. They are connected by various hoses, so if these hoses slip off or break (some are the stiff nylon type) I can see how oil could leak out.

Edit: There is also the unique oil line that is connected to the front of the crank. If that somehow breaks or leaks high-pressure oil will spill.

Under the plastic intake plenum, you'll find the starter, vacuum canisters, intake flapper valves, and smog/emission air pump. They placed the oil/water cooler on the bottom of the engine.

Another interesting side note, this engine is the only 9A1 that does not use an electronically controlled variable oil pump.

Last edited by sl951; 06-16-2019 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I guess it’s not possible to inspect this part without dropping the engine?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:32 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, most likely drop the motor to inspect the entire thing. Or peak from the under the car, on the driver side...

Or go buy an $35-40 WiFi endoscope from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/KZYEE-Semi-Rigid-Inspection-Waterproof-Tablet-33FT/dp/B07CWQGNNR/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2HAM3VPABNYH7&keywords=endoscope+camera&qid=1560627011&s=gateway&sprefix=endo%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-6 https://www.amazon.com/KZYEE-Semi-Rigid-Inspection-Waterproof-Tablet-33FT/dp/B07CWQGNNR/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2HAM3VPABNYH7&keywords=endoscope+camera&qid=1560627011&s=gateway&sprefix=endo%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-6
Old 06-15-2019, 05:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

If anyone has further info about these alleged incidents and their cause, I’m sure the board would appreciate any updates.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:04 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The first failure happened on Wednesday afternoon on a 991.2. RS.The car puked oil from turn 2 all the way to the bus stop, lots of smoke, I looked at the car, no damage except a melted lic plate frame, and lots of oil covering the back bumper....no one knows what happened to it ,but the driver had power and kept driving until they red flagged all of us.
The second failure happened on Friday afternoon to a 991.1 RS with many many track miles. The car lost power and puked oil and coolant at turn 2. The driver pulled off quickly because the car was dead, no engine parts or any metal was ejected.
That is all the information that is available for now.
I know one of the drivers very well, so if he does provide more information and doesn’t mind it being published, I would follow up here.
l am baffled at the new RS catastrophic failure ....
Old 06-15-2019, 07:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malmasri
The first failure happened on Wednesday afternoon on a 991.2. RS.The car puked oil from turn 2 all the way to the bus stop, lots of smoke, I looked at the car, no damage except a melted lic plate frame, and lots of oil covering the back bumper....no one knows what happened to it ,but the driver had power and kept driving until they red flagged all of us.
The second failure happened on Friday afternoon to a 991.1 RS with many many track miles. The car lost power and puked oil and coolant at turn 2. The driver pulled off quickly because the car was dead, no engine parts or any metal was ejected.
I know one of the drivers very well, so if he does provide more information and doesn’t mind it being published, I would follow up here.
Thanks for the info - I think the .2 RS is one of very few I’ve heard of too. Don’t think this necessarily has implications for the rest, unless we learn more that points in that direction. Thanks for keeping us updated to the extent possible.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:28 PM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Thank you for the added information. RennList served it's purpose again!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:07 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

@malmasri Would like to hear more details on the .2RS incident if owner cares to share on here

Quick Reply: Did TWO GT3RS.2 really have engine failures at Watkins Glen??