Sponsored by:

Need advice with 992 GT3 purchase strategy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts
Default Need advice with 992 GT3 purchase strategy

I'm looking for a 992 GT3 allocation which I expect to be available in about 2 years (maybe order-able in 18 months) at MSRP + European Delivery. ED has a cost of ~3k to the dealership despite being advertised by PCNA since 2012 as a zero cost option. So this cuts into the dealers profit's by 3k even though they get another allocation from PCNA as compensation (not necessarily a GT3 though). On the other hand, it is going to be well optioned including PTS Gulf Blue, PCCBs and LWBS and of course a manual.

My problem is that I recently moved in the past year from Delaware to NOLA. As most of us are aware, PCNA has put a lot of pressure on dealerships to discourage flipping of GT cars so most dealerships are giving preferential treatment to locals as they should. After all, they are more likely to service their cars at their dealerships anyway. They are also giving preferential treatment for allocations to repeat buyers. I had a fantastic relationship with Porsche of the Mainline in PA and bought two cars from them - both ED. I participated in all of their events and my wife and I appeared in one of their TV commercials advocating for the dealership....but then I moved. I have no real relationship with Porsche NOLA other than going to a couple of events and servicing my other two Porsches there.

So a month ago, I went into Porsche NOLA and put money down on a 992 GT3. I got a signed agreement etc. Everything seems cool. In my limited contact with them, I have always been friendly and up front. I also informed them that I intended to put money down with another dealership. Maybe this was a mistake on my part but I always prefer to be upfront and honest. I have no history or relationship with them.

A week after visiting Porsche NOLA I flew back to Philly and met with my previous SA. Again, I put money down on a 992 GT3 and took him out to lunch (because I actually enjoy his company). My wife and I have become personal friends with him over the years. What I like about him is that he has always been totally up front and honest with us. A straight shooter but at the same time a business man. He is also a Porsche fanatic like me so we get each other. He said that I am not guaranteed an allocation. They sell some GT cars at MSRP to high valued repeat customers and the rest at market value. They give preferential treatment to locals, repeat buyers and buyers that they know will give them the car back in a year or two. Porsche of the Mainline is squared away. They cashed my check the next day. I have high confidence in their competence since my first engagement 7 years ago. They have their **** together.

Bottom line is that I have no guarantee from Porsche NOLA or Mainline on a GT3 allocation. Should I engage Sonnen Porsche (the sponsor of this forum)? ....or CJ who hangs out here and seems like he has his **** together?

Don't take this post as whiny; maybe take it as I am over thinking this issue. I just cant stand it that I can't walk into a dealership and give them a check at MSRP for a car that I want. Instead I have to play a F****king game.

To be clear, I am not a hedge fund manager so I have no trump card. I grew up heating my house with wood because we were so poor but I made something of myself and can now write checks for cars. That is all I want to do.....and I intend to actually drive them.

Last edited by subshooter; 06-13-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

You put a deposit for a car that hasn’t been announced and doesn’t exist?!?!

why not just buy a Gt3 now from inventory from a dealer and drive it in the meanwhile.

lifes too short to wait two years for a car you may or may not get.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yippiekiaye:
Freddie Two Bs (02-01-2020), tcirillo (02-01-2020)
Old 06-13-2019, 12:24 AM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

This seems pretty simple; keep a deposit with the dealership that you have a good relationship with, pull the deposit from NOLA, start calling other US based dealerships, and put your 2nd deposit down at a dealership you get the best vibes from.

If you got the cash, put deposits down at multiple dealerships across the US; for allocations of highly sought after vehicles, spray and pray should be your motto.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 AM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

why not just buy a Gt3 now from inventory from a dealer and drive it in the meanwhile.

Its a small refundable holding deposit; that is the only way you'll get an allocation @ MSRP. If you wait till it hits the lots, you'll pay over. I had to do the same thing with my 991.2 GT3; I put a holding deposit down (just to keep my name in the line) approx. 2 years in advance of the car being released.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

I can only buy new. These cars are very personal to me so I have to spec them out myself and pick them up from the factory. My wife said I can buy as many cars as I want as long as they are ED. First world problems I know.

BTW - The car does exist and it will be announced. Plenty of spy footage of it screaming around the ring.

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Its a small refundable holding deposit; that is the only way you'll get an allocation @ MSRP. If you wait till it hits the lots, you'll pay over. I had to do the same thing with my 991.2 GT3; I put a holding deposit down (just to keep my name in the line) approx. 2 years in advance of the car being released.
Exactly. You totally get it.

This seems pretty simple; keep a deposit with the dealership that you have a good relationship with, pull the deposit from NOLA, start calling other US based dealerships, and put your 2nd deposit down at a dealership you get the best vibes from.

If you got the cash, put deposits down at multiple dealerships across the US; for allocations of highly sought after vehicles, spray and pray should be your motto.
That is good advice. Thank you.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I will say PoTML are straight shooters (pun intended with your name) and I have no experience with NOLA. I also suspect Fresno and Sonnen will tell you that you are too far down the list to get an allocation (locals and repeat etc.), but it does not hurt to ask. What do the agreements say? Do they guarantee an allocation and at Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (not market price)? Read the fine print on the back. I can almost assure having read a bunch of the order forms that you that you don’t have a binding contract that guarantees that unless it is added to the front. Also, dealers often don’t cash deposit checks. We can debate why, but one reason is if they don’t they can argue the contract is not binding. Next time bring cash and ask for a receipt. If it were me, I would leave them both out there, see who comes through, and worst case you lose a deposit when you cancel one (check state laws on whether deposits are refundable). As far as Nola and the hedge fund guy, if he bought a 918 new, he’s a VIP and that’s why he got the speedster allocation. It’s his, not the dealer’s.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I moved 7 years ago, I went to my dealer, with no relationship, put down a deposit in 2015, on a Rumor of a manual gt3, He kinda laughed! We had a great conversation, he is a really great guy, and I told him why the deposit and why now. I wanted a manual, not a car, a manual car, and would not be interested in a PDK even if i got a chance at an allocation. Years later, he called, said "Hey Doug, guess yon know, PCAR announced a manual .2 gt3" I said "yes, are you going to mail my deposit back or do i need to come pick it up and sign something?" He said "We have more deposits than cars, but if you want one, we have one for you!" I asked why, and it was simple. I didn't want a 2nd car or 5th car or another car to add to my list of cars and they have some control of who gets a car! So, Easy to say, the dealer does have some control over who they sell the cars to and how much. I don't think you are making a poor decision, as long as the deposit is not large, and its refundable. Mine was 1k. I also did not pay any markup just sticker. I have had a great experience with Hendrick Porsche. I understand that VIP owners get first dibs, but I also think a lot of the VIP owners have an abundant amount of cars, and the lower level cars become flipped before they hit 1000 miles. Not saying thats wrong or an unfair practice. I do think the dealers want to build a larger network of enthusiasts and loyal buyers to buy more cars, other models etc etc

I would be interested in the next RS only if a manual comes back. I may put down another deposit on the Rumor, they may!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

My spidey sense predicts it won’t be hard to get a 992 GT3 when they are actually available to order and buy because of macroeconomic upheaval.

I’m not an expert and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I’ve been around the blocks a few times. This gravy train is slowing down from what I’ve seen. When and where it stops no one knows, but when it does this begging the dealer to spend six figures on a sports car will be over.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Not all dealers take deposits ..........I’ve never put a deposit on a GT car at MSRP. I buy from one dealer, and not first to get a car but get a car. I also wouldn’t deposit on a car that doesn’t exist too many cars to drive now.

Last edited by Maverick787; 06-13-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
My spidey sense predicts it won’t be hard to get a 992 GT3 when they are actually available to order and buy because of macroeconomic upheaval.

I’m not an expert and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I’ve been around the blocks a few times. This gravy train is slowing down from what I’ve seen. When and where it stops no one knows, but when it does this begging the dealer to spend six figures on a sports car will be over.
I would not bet against the economy but I do agree i think they will be easier to get but because of over saturation in the market place the last few years and there will not be enough of a differentiator to drive many with the .2 to jump to the 992. I for one have no interest in the 992. I am sure it will be slightly better but 25 hp and a new color is not going to drive me to do it.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

^You know I say the same thing every time but I always end up wanting the new one lol. Back on topic, I don't think it will be too hard to get the 992 gt3. Probably easier is my guess. Seems as though they are making more and more of these cars, and I thought I read somewhere that they want to expand the whole GT lineup/division. As for OP's situation, I am looking to move here shortly myself. I have a great relationship with my dealer and would hate to lose it. I'm lucky that Michigan isn't a huge market for these cars so I just asked and got on a list and at msrp. Didn't give a deposit either. Just had to wait my turn was all. And that was for my first GT car. Wasn't too difficult at all. Now when I move to Seattle in the coming months, probably going to be way harder. I figured the key to keeping that relationship is just not telling my dealer I am moving lol.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Should be easier this time around unless they just kill it with the new model. Put your deposit down. Get MSRP price in writing. Repeat. Get MSRP pricing agreement IN WRITING. Anything sales tells you won't mean anything. Then just hold on and wait.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:40 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Try deposit with Champion Autosport?
Old 06-13-2019, 03:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

I wouldn't want MSRP in writing.

There's a good chance you may be able to get the 992 generation GT cars below MSRP.

Why foreclose the possibility.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:13 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Deposits for non existent non allocated cars mean nothing....did it once, never again....

Quick Reply: Need advice with 992 GT3 purchase strategy