Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Certified 2017 Cayenne - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:33 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Certified 2017 Cayenne - Thoughts?

Hi all, new here.

Ran across a 2017 certified Cayenne (Platinum edition) with 20k miles listed for $50k while taking my Audi in for service next door to a Porsche dealer.

Any issues or concerns with this model year Cayenne?

What is the current pricing on a 2017 certified Cayenne? Should we expect to get 40%, 50%, or 60% off of original MSRP?

Thanks, and greatly appreciate any inputs and feedback.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:05 AM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

It's a base 3.6? It should be pretty good, reliability-wise but you'll be getting extended warranty anyway. The only problem was the transfer case but that's been fixed in 2017s, as far as I know. Not sure on the pricing.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 107 Posts

The base Cayenne is certainly nice. More engine is always desirable for the enthusiast, but as a daily driver the base model engine does a decent job. What other options does it have? I know the Platinum edition bundled a number of things. But I believe it was possible to order that and then add on other options.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:17 AM
thehaviet
Track Day

Originally Posted by dbv1
It's a base 3.6? It should be pretty good, reliability-wise but you'll be getting extended warranty anyway. The only problem was the transfer case but that's been fixed in 2017s, as far as I know. Not sure on the pricing.
Yes, it's the base 3.6 engine.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:22 AM
thehaviet
Track Day

Originally Posted by wkearney99
The base Cayenne is certainly nice. More engine is always desirable for the enthusiast, but as a daily driver the base model engine does a decent job. What other options does it have? I know the Platinum edition bundled a number of things. But I believe it was possible to order that and then add on other options.
Yes, we're looking for a daily driver. Not looking to take it to the track or twisty mountain roads.

I don't believe there's any other options added. The platinum edition included these key options:

Panoramic roof
20" RS Spyder wheels
Premium package

Prod date was 2016-10, and original MSRP was $73k.

Any suggestion on fair pricing?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:48 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

I think you could get it in to the 40s but I wouldn't think they wouldn't have much movement on a 2 year old vehicle that is already 68% of msrp. Id think maybe 47 ish. But I could be wrong and others may have more experience here than I.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:26 AM
thehaviet
Track Day

Thanks. Looking to go in with a 45-46k offer and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:31 AM
Oneday997
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 133 Posts

Run a quick search for similar specs on Autotrader and see what comes back. I'd also think you could get it in the upper 40s. I've been told (but haven't really verified) that CPO adds about $3K to the price. The year seems to make a bigger difference than the mileage. 2015s are basically the same aside from the PCM and perhaps the transfer case (again, not sure there), and you can find those under $40k now if you search around. Great vehicles, good luck!
Old 05-24-2019, 12:18 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

Originally Posted by Oneday997
Run a quick search for similar specs on Autotrader and see what comes back. I'd also think you could get it in the upper 40s. I've been told (but haven't really verified) that CPO adds about $3K to the price. The year seems to make a bigger difference than the mileage. 2015s are basically the same aside from the PCM and perhaps the transfer case (again, not sure there), and you can find those under $40k now if you search around. Great vehicles, good luck!

You're saying a 2015 is the same as a 2017 Cayenne? No significant upgrades over a 2 years period?

And yes, I did search Autotrader. It tells you listing prices, no insights on the actual buying/paid prices.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:21 PM
Oneday997
Pro

Originally Posted by thehaviet
You're saying a 2015 is the same as a 2017 Cayenne? No significant upgrades over a 2 years period?
More or less, yes. There are a few differences, but the body, motors, overall powertrain, etc. are all basically the same. Someone mentioned the transfer case may be different and I'm not sure on that. I think adage that you should buy the newest one you can afford generally holds true, but I decided to go with a '15 S for about what a '17 base with similar miles would have cost me.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:31 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

More or less, yes. There are a few differences, but the body, motors, overall powertrain, etc. are all basically the same. Someone mentioned the transfer case may be different and I'm not sure on that. I think adage that you should buy the newest one you can afford generally holds true, but I decided to go with a '15 S for about what a '17 base with similar miles would have cost me.
I see.

How do you like your Cayenne S? What did you pay? What was the MSRP? When was the purchase?
Old 05-24-2019, 12:38 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

We just bought a 2016 GTS....which is beside the point, but...

last 2 cars I've searched nationally on autotrader, cars.com, carguru.com...and you can find exactly what you want for the best price. It is simple to pay for a third party PPI and ship the car to yourself. If we only looked at the couple P dealers close to us, we'd get taken to the cleaners.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Oneday997
Pro

Originally Posted by thehaviet
I see.

How do you like your Cayenne S? What did you pay? What was the MSRP? When was the purchase?
I love it! Probably the best all around vehicle I've ever owned. I have an '06 911 and while the Cayenne isn't a 911, it is still a hoot to drive and the 420hp S is plenty quick for my daily commute and enjoying the back roads while carrying the family around. I found one with air suspension which was a big plus for me. Original MSRP was a bit over $97K if I recall correctly - it was a high spec with the air suspension, 18 way sport seats, wheel upgrades, premium plus package, blacked out trim, exhaust etc. I got it with 42K miles for $47K. Bought it about 3 weeks ago and very happy. Also came with brand new summer tires and an almost new set of winter wheels/tires, PPF on the entire front of the vehicle, tinted glass all around and a built in Passport 8500ci. I looked for a year for the one I really wanted.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:58 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

I love it! Probably the best all around vehicle I've ever owned. I have an '06 911 and while the Cayenne isn't a 911, it is still a hoot to drive and the 420hp S is plenty quick for my daily commute and enjoying the back roads while carrying the family around. I found one with air suspension which was a big plus for me. Original MSRP was a bit over $97K if I recall correctly - it was a high spec with the air suspension, 18 way sport seats, wheel upgrades, premium plus package, blacked out trim, exhaust etc. I got it with 42K miles for $47K. Bought it about 3 weeks ago and very happy. Also came with brand new summer tires and an almost new set of winter wheels/tires, PPF on the entire front of the vehicle, tinted glass all around and a built in Passport 8500ci. I looked for a year for the one I really wanted.

Sounds like a great car, and a great deal. Thanks for sharing the details.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:00 PM
thehaviet
Track Day

Originally Posted by jpru2001
We just bought a 2016 GTS....which is beside the point, but...

last 2 cars I've searched nationally on autotrader, cars.com, carguru.com...and you can find exactly what you want for the best price. It is simple to pay for a third party PPI and ship the car to yourself. If we only looked at the couple P dealers close to us, we'd get taken to the cleaners.

That's a great point. Certainly, once you search nationally or even regionally; there will be better deals to be had. I am on the fence about purchasing a used car, sight unseen.

You had no concerns or issues purchasing a used vehicle without seeing it in person or test driving it?

Quick Reply: Certified 2017 Cayenne - Thoughts?