Sponsored by:

Jack points?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Jack points?

I checked the threads I could find but didn't find an answer. I am having my wheels Powder Coated and went to the place that is doing the job. When I walked in I saw that my car was setting on 4 conventional jack stands. In searching the forum I read that some people use a cross member in the rear to place their stands, but what about the front. I was going to ask that question when I was there but we started talking about other things (like when will it be ready) and I got side tracked. Is there a CM in the front also?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
I checked the threads I could find but didn't find an answer. I am having my wheels Powder Coated and went to the place that is doing the job. When I walked in I saw that my car was setting on 4 conventional jack stands. In searching the forum I read that some people use a cross member in the rear to place their stands, but what about the front. I was going to ask that question when I was there but we started talking about other things (like when will it be ready) and I got side tracked. Is there a CM in the front also?
I jack my car from the rear first and since the car is stiff, you can place the stand under the front with the rear jacked up. I then used a bottle jack to place under the rear cross member as close to the jacked side as possible and release my floor jack in order to place my second stand. Rinse and repeat for the other side. I use the Esco shorter jack stands but a lot of members use the Jack Point jack stands, which are very easy to use as you don't need two jacks but they are expensive and a bit lower than I would like. If you don't mind spending the extra money, they seem like a very good product. I know that one member jacks from the center of the cross member so that you can easily place your two rear jack stands but that scares me. I am not brave enough to place than much pressure on it.

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone jack just the front up via anything other than a jack point.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I jack my car from the rear first and since the car is stiff, you can place the stand under the front with the rear jacked up. I then used a bottle jack to place under the rear cross member as close to the jacked side as possible and release my floor jack in order to place my second stand. Rinse and repeat for the other side. I use the Esco shorter jack stands but a lot of members use the Jack Point jack stands, which are very easy to use as you don't need two jacks but they are expensive and a bit lower than I would like. If you don't mind spending the extra money, they seem like a very good product. I know that one member jacks from the center of the cross member so that you can easily place your two rear jack stands but that scares me. I am not brave enough to place than much pressure on it.

I don't believe I've ever seen anyone jack just the front up via anything other than a jack point.
I’m just wondering how they put the front jack stands under the jack points.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

I’m just wondering how they put the front jack stands under the jack points.
Jacking from the rear will raise the front up enough to place the stands. The car is stiff...like my back.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 259 Posts

Jacking from the rear will raise the front up enough to place the stands. The car is stiff...like my back.
How high are you lifting the rear to place the rear jack stands AND the front stands?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:23 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I can see how that would work.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
How high are you lifting the rear to place the rear jack stands AND the front stands?
Maybe 12” when I include the jack pad.. See the attached pic-feels like a big deal when you do it, but works fine for many people. If you look far into the background, you can see that I have Rennlist up on my computer. I just followed directions 😉
Old 05-23-2019, 07:32 PM
IMPorsche
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe 12” when I include the jack pad.. See the attached pic-feels like a big deal when you do it, but works fine for many people. If you look far into the background, you can see that I have Rennlist up on my computer. I just followed directions
Sorry for being off topic, but I can't help noticing you lost a big chunk from your rear tire?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:36 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IMPorsche
Sorry for being off topic, but I can't help noticing you lost a big chunk from your rear tire?
Yes, I’ve abused my Pirelli‘s. New tires are on the car but I was honestly a little concerned about making it to the shop to get the tires changed. They were all torn up pretty badly.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 259 Posts

Maybe 12” when I include the jack pad.. See the attached pic-feels like a big deal when you do it, but works fine for many people. If you look far into the background, you can see that I have Rennlist up on my computer. I just followed directions 😉
Sorry, I misunderstood your response as the OP was asking about jacking up the rear of the car from the REAR cross member, and I could not fathom how HIGH you would have to jack the car up from the rear (centre) and be able to place front jack stands. I envisioned the car being 3-5 feet high in the rear with the front spoiler on the ground. hahahaha

Yes, the way you are jacking up the car from the side rear makes sense when placing front stands. That is how I jack up my Subaru and RX-7 as well.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:23 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Still might be worth asking the shop how they did it. All too easy for a careless "mechanic" to slide the floor jack under the car at random and just start pumping.

And you might want to look under your car for evidence.

Quick Reply: Jack points?