Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Guilty as charged.....starting to sniff around the 718

Old 05-20-2019, 03:30 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 874 Likes on 397 Posts
Default Guilty as charged.....starting to sniff around the 718

Although I still haven't put the NSX up for sale and I haven't test driven the 718, in my daily daydream search for a 981 Cayman I've started expanding my search after seeing the 718's at the dealerships that I've visited while looking at CPO 981C's in person....was surprised to see some very low milers with in the same price ranges as the 981's on the car websites....Although I really like the growl of the 981 I do slightly prefer the look of the 718 with its sharper, more aggressive front end and larger intakes with those clean tail lights, not to mention the added power and torque along with more tech and standard features .... having a warranty thru 2024 on a 2018 CPO is also very tempting to say the least. Looks like I might have to test drive one of these now too.....

kinda wish I had the funds ready to go today, I might be very tempted by this one right here that is priced less than some 981's with more miles.

Probably still I'll end up going with a less expensive 981 6 speed, but can't say I wouldn't consider a 718 especially if the price is right

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 05-21-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:42 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that over time, the 981s will sell for more on the used market than the 718s purely because of the engine size. There are a lot of people who just don't want a 4cyl Porsche, and it's going to show in the pricing. The debate has been covered from every single angle, so all I'll say is this...drive each and decide what's most important for you.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:53 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

If my experience with the 981 Spyder is any indicator, warranty should be the least of your considerations. The 981 is Lexus level reliable.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Yeah, I don't think you want to trade your NSX for one of those, at least not until the rumors surrounding the "Touring/6" Boxsters and Caymans settle down. If they switch back to 6-cylinder engines, you will take the mother of all depreciation baths.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Forget depreciation... they are such different cars that you should decide on preference. Owning either gen is a stupid financial decision.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

There are tons of rumors and speculation floating around about the future of the 718 (will they even call it that anymore?), and seems like there have been for ages. Thing is though, if cost is an issue, even if the 718 gets a 6 cylinder, at a minimum you're looking at a brand new car that's likely going to spec well into the six-figures because it's highly unlikely that Porsche will introduce a new variant that costs less than the one they're selling now... ALTHOUGH it's worth noting that there is the slightest bit of precedent with the M2 Competition. BMW kind of reversed course and gave the M2 a "proper" M engine with the S55 and only charged a few thousand more (although it is still I-6T vs I-6T). Food for thought, but again, it's just speculation. We come to this board and can't stop doing that, myself included. While we're all trying to give good "advice", I would also caution putting your life on hold because of things that people think might happen.

Also while we're on the topic, we like to discuss depreciation and the highly volatile market that is used car values... people (particularly current or potential 981 owners) really like to try to predict that the 981 values will eventually appreciate because of the 6 cylinder... but wouldn't that fly out the window if Porsche puts a 6 in the 718? Worth spending a few brain cycles on. I don't disagree that the 718 may take an even harder value hit if that happens, but ultimately that may lead to you getting a solid deal on one, which you're already discovering from the used 718 pricing. Personally I think Porsche just charged too damn much for the 718 and I think the market will balance that out. The car itself is astonishingly good though, don't sell yourself short by not considering one.

Which brings me to back on topic with the original post in this thread- you absolutely should drive a 718. It will blow your mind. They drive SO GOOD. Markedly better than a 981. If the sound doesn't actively bother you then it's a better car across the board than the 981.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Which brings me to back on topic with the original post in this thread- you absolutely should drive a 718. It will blow your mind. They drive SO GOOD. Markedly better than a 981. If the sound doesn't actively bother you then it's a better car across the board than the 981.
Absolutely agree. If one doesn't care about the difference in exhaust note between the H6 and the H4T, then the 718 is a better car. I've driven a 718 S. It is faster and handles better than my 981 GTS.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by manifold danger
There are tons of rumors and speculation floating around about the future of the 718 (will they even call it that anymore?), and seems like there have been for ages. Thing is though, if cost is an issue, even if the 718 gets a 6 cylinder, at a minimum you're looking at a brand new car that's likely going to spec well into the six-figures because it's highly unlikely that Porsche will introduce a new variant that costs less than the one they're selling now... ALTHOUGH it's worth noting that there is the slightest bit of precedent with the M2 Competition. BMW kind of reversed course and gave the M2 a "proper" M engine with the S55 and only charged a few thousand more (although it is still I-6T vs I-6T). Food for thought, but again, it's just speculation. We come to this board and can't stop doing that, myself included. While we're all trying to give good "advice", I would also caution putting your life on hold because of things that people think might happen.

Also while we're on the topic, we like to discuss depreciation and the highly volatile market that is used car values... people (particularly current or potential 981 owners) really like to try to predict that the 981 values will eventually appreciate because of the 6 cylinder... but wouldn't that fly out the window if Porsche puts a 6 in the 718? Worth spending a few brain cycles on. I don't disagree that the 718 may take an even harder value hit if that happens, but ultimately that may lead to you getting a solid deal on one, which you're already discovering from the used 718 pricing. Personally I think Porsche just charged too damn much for the 718 and I think the market will balance that out. The car itself is astonishingly good though, don't sell yourself short by not considering one.

Thanks...good stuff.

Yeah, from everything I've read or seen on YouTube is that the 718 is a gem, but for the noise complaints .....I've seen a video with aftermarket exhaust that sounded pretty good. I have a 4 banger twin turbo in my 428i and absolutely love how quick the throttle response is in that tank, I can imagine how well it would respond in a lightweight Cayman.

there are definitely pros and cons for each car at the end of the day that I will have to weigh......if and when I sale the NSX

Didn't want to turn this into another 718 vs 981 debate.....thanks for the great reply
Old 05-20-2019, 02:40 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Thanks...good stuff.

Yeah, from everything I've read or seen on YouTube is that the 718 is a gem, but for the noise complaints .....I've seen a video with aftermarket exhaust that sounded pretty good. I have a 4 banger twin turbo in my 428i and absolutely love how quick the throttle response is in that tank, I can imagine how well it would respond in a lightweight Cayman.

there are definitely pros and cons for each car at the end of the day that I will have to weigh......if and when I sale the NSX

Didn't want to turn this into another 718 vs 981 debate.....thanks for the great reply
No problem. I think I'm perpetually on the fence as far as whether I prefer the 718 or 981... what ultimately decided it for me was value. I got an almost perfectly optioned (looking at you, lack of backup camera) 981 BGTS for about 2/3 of the price of a new 718 GTS, with a CPO warranty through next November. These values are starting to level out, so now it's getting closer to just picking the better car. I love my 981, but I have to say that the 718 gives the better driving experience, hands down. I think that's the overall consensus- everything is better except noise. $90k+ for a 4 cylinder sports car is a tough pill to swallow, but as time marches on these cars are going to become amazing values as far as what you get. The gentleman above mentioned the 718 S is faster than the 981 GTS- I think it's been proven that it's actually faster than the 981 GT4. I can't understate how good the 718 is; it has to be experienced.

They also do sound quite good with aftermarket exhaust, and apparently there's been some changes to the PSE on the 2018+ cars? Maybe just the GTS. But I think over time if I had one, I would probably forget that the 981 sounded "better", and just enjoy the all around superiority of the 718.

As for rumors of fl
Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks...good stuff.

Having briefly owned a 718 GTS, I can tell you it takes just as much effort to go fast as a 981. BTW, torque curves don't measure throttle response. If you just look at the power curves between the 2 you'd think the 718 would run all over the 981. Really the driver willing to make the most effort wins. If you like to drive around in top gear and have some pull at low rpms, then you'll probably like it. Although it surges at its own will as you come on and off the throttle. l also like the X73 suspension option for which the 718 never got. So find a 987 or 981 Cayman S/GTS with X73 and compare that to a 718 S/GTS and I bet you'll find the 987/981 the better car for those who can tell the difference in how a sports car should behave. If you want power then skip the Cayman altogether and find a nice 997.2 S/GTS, preferably with low miles and PCCB.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:57 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I have a 4 banger twin turbo in my 428i...
You have a single (twin scroll) turbo in your 428i. The 718 is also single turbo.

The 911s are twin turbo.

(Sorry. It's the internet. Someone has to be pedantic.)
Old 05-20-2019, 04:43 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Having briefly owned a 718 GTS, I can tell you it takes just as much effort to go fast as a 981. BTW, torque curves don't measure throttle response. If you just look at the power curves between the 2 you'd think the 718 would run all over the 981. Really the driver willing to make the most effort wins. If you like to drive around in top gear and have some pull at low rpms, then you'll probably like it. Although it surges at its own will as you come on and off the throttle. l also like the X73 suspension option for which the 718 never got. So find a 987 or 981 Cayman S/GTS with X73 and compare that to a 718 S/GTS and I bet you'll find the 987/981 the better car for those who can tell the difference in how a sports car should behave. If you want power then skip the Cayman altogether and find a nice 997.2 S/GTS, preferably with low miles and PCCB.
if it was power I was looking for I'd be looking at used C7's....
I'm more into the balance that only a mid engine gives you, like your screen name says...Mid Engine Rules!
just from a value standpoint that the one I posted about it would seem like the right choice....the standard features on the 718 were options on 981 and the fact that it has more warranty left and less miles.
The one I posted a picture of had like 7,000 miles and was only asking $47,500....white on black with 6 speed manual (perfect for me)
looks are subjective, but to me I kinda prefer the looks of the 718 mostly just the front end and more aggressive side intakes.... but still love the 981 and would be more then happy with one(although I'd be on the hunt for one with the Sports Design front fascia option) there are actually three currently on Autotrader with that option.....wish I had the funds ready to go.

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
You have a single (twin scroll) turbo in your 428i. The 718 is also single turbo.

The 911s are twin turbo.

(Sorry. It's the internet. Someone has to be pedantic.)
Yes you are correct....just trynna make it sound cooler .... basically just comparing to the 718 4 banger twin scroll turbo.
The low end torque is noticeably different then all of my NA 6's I have
Old 05-20-2019, 05:38 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

if it was power I was looking for I'd be looking at used C7's....
And that's yet another factor... what if the C8 turns out not to suck? The 718s and 981s will both see some downward competitive pressure.

Those who boil down the spirit of these cars to exhaust sound and 0-60 times are missing the boat. Sound is only one drawback to the four, a relatively minor one IMHO. Lag, reliability, lag, depreciation, lag, heritage, and also lag are worth considering even if the noise doesn't bother you.

That being said, the return-of-the-flat-six rumors and the upcoming C8 are two reasons not to expect any of the non-GT mid-engine Porsches to do well, financially. We are all going to take the same bath. I'm fine with that personally but as pointed out in the other thread, you're in the somewhat-unusual position of trading a car that's actually going UP in value.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:57 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
And that's yet another factor... what if the C8 turns out not to suck? The 718s and 981s will both see some downward competitive pressure.

Those who boil down the spirit of these cars to exhaust sound and 0-60 times are missing the boat. Sound is only one drawback to the four, a relatively minor one IMHO. Lag, reliability, lag, depreciation, lag, heritage, and also lag are worth considering even if the noise doesn't bother you.

That being said, the return-of-the-flat-six rumors and the upcoming C8 are two reasons not to expect any of the non-GT mid-engine Porsches to do well, financially. We are all going to take the same bath. I'm fine with that personally but as pointed out in the other thread, you're in the somewhat-unusual position of trading a car that's actually going UP in value.
Rumor has it that the the C8 will start at @$90K for the base model..... that's over $30k more than the base Cayman.
thats up there in the GT4 range, so it might actually make the Cayman look like a bargain, which used ones already look like....although I'm anxiously awaiting the actual numbers, specs and looks of the C8
yes, my car is doing nothing but going up in value and that's the big trade off I have to weigh and the hardest part in justifying moving into the Cayman, but I think I'm just ready to move on and a 981/718 is such a great car it's very tempting...
Old 05-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

What I've been hearing is more like $70K. That will be interesting.

Yet another factor to consider is if the misguided missile in the White House decides that we need to be paying 25% more for our Porsches. The used 718s and 981s will both benefit from that. It's unfortunate, but the political situation can't be ignored in this context. Interesting times ahead.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guilty as charged.....starting to sniff around the 718