993 Forum 1995-1998

Need specific advice on replacing flexible seat adjuster shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Need specific advice on replacing flexible seat adjuster shaft

Swapping back my old seats and 2 flexible shafts not working and frayed. Bought two replacements. First one popped right in so i didnt think much of it but second i thought was in but wasnt completely so spun just a few second - but enough to ruin it!

so buying number 3: for those whove done this a lot- any tricks. Followed the p-car DIY but not a tremendous help. Is it best to ensure the center motor side is in securely first then to the side screw adjuster? The difficulty is sinking the square end fully and being sure its seated before activating as the black protector cover the areas of interest. And if I use the switch to rotate the motor the opposite side adjuster is also moving so they will be out of alignment.

Appreciate any advice on what i can do better here
Old 05-17-2019, 03:07 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive done the same and burned through a couple over the years.. i HATE the design of these (window switches too) you really need to make sure they are all the way in before you test them.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Thx. Anyone else with suggestions on this?
Old 05-25-2019, 05:06 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

will finish this off myself for future searchers. I found the safest way is to put the new shaft (without plastic shield to start) into the motor (front center seat) and be sure fully seated. Then bend and thread the shaft through the metal guide hole, then toward the gear attachment outboard. If you look carefully with a light you'll see how the shaft is oriented (its square or diamond shaped) and see how it lines up with the receptacle. If lucky it lines up perfectly! but more than likely it will be off be some degrees. Other threads have suggested tapping the switch to spin the motor, but it spins way more than a few turns and will also shift the opposite seat adjuster at the same time so you won't be lined up. Instead, use one end of the old shaft you are replacing (one end should still be good), insert into the receptacle on the gears and twist a few degrees to orient it to match the new shaft. Then place the plastic shroud on and reinsert the replacement shaft. It should slip right in - if not, some pliers to very gently twist the seat adjuster mechanism until it slides in. When fitted correctly it will fit in solidly and far enough that the plastic shroud nearly completely covers the piece.
Do NOT use the seat switch thinking you can twist it just a tiny bit to make it line up and drop in. It only takes a few seconds and the new shaft ($70 a pop) is toast.

hope its useful to someone

Quick Reply: Need specific advice on replacing flexible seat adjuster shaft