Sponsored by:

1st track car vs DE in 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts
Default 1st track car vs DE in 991.2 GTS

I am in my second year of DEs and have 1 solo event under my belt. I am still new and have a lot to learn. However, I am getting better/faster and hope to continue that path. Safety, cost of potential repairs, consumables and wear on my Targa GTS are a concern. I would like to continue this sport, but feel like I need a harness, seat, cage, etc. to move much further forward. I am not willing to do this to my street car. So, I am considering either moving on from this hobby or getting a track car. I actually learned how to drive a stick in a 944 20 years ago. However, I have never driven a track only car or a 944 on a track. The 3 cars I have done DE with are a ‘16 ATS-V, a 16 Z06 and a 17 GTS. All are high power cars and turbo or super charged. Obviously I could learn a lot driving a low power car and losing electronic assistance with nannies. If I got a 944 track ready car then... Will I enjoy it as much? Will there be enough power for me? Will the experience be thrilling? Will I be satisfied or want to just track my street car? Should I look at a different car? Wife probably wont go for much over 15-20k so....
Old 04-21-2019, 08:30 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

You might rent a race car for a local event and see, try before you buy. Some prefer to do that for extended periods anyways. No hassle, arrive and drive - there’s a lot to be said for that.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:37 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ace37
You might rent a race car for a local event and see, try before you buy. Some prefer to do that for extended periods anyways. No hassle, arrive and drive - there’s a lot to be said for that.
I had contemplated this as well. This is probably a good option for sure. I will try to do some more research on this. I have a DE set for this coming weekend at Barber and June 1-2 at Barber. Maybe I can find one to rent for the June event.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:50 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

My very first DE event years ago was in my E60 BMW M5, the 500hp V10 beast. Despite 20+ years of street driving experience, I was obviously a complete newbie on the track. On that day my first few laps on track in the M5 were amazing—I had never experienced that kind of speed and cornering. And then my instructor took me out in his E46 M3 track car. I was simply blown away. It was the difference between a jumbo jet (powerful but huge) and a jet fighter (less powerful but much much lighter, faster and more maneuverable). That track-prepped M3, with “only” 340-360hp, but stripped down to probably 2800lb, was a revelation. So brutally quick, especially in cornering and braking.

A properly set-up, dedicated track car is worlds apart from even a very competent, but necessarily compromised, street car.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

It really depends on your end goal. Getting a fully caged car with all safety equipment is really a great idea but be prepared to get a trailer and tow vehicle too.

If it is about mastering the skills required to drive a manual low hp car to record lap times, you will find the 944 a very rewarding experience. It will make you a better driver. I'm always impressed by how much fun the 944 classes have in PCA Club Racing.

If your goal is to progress through the DE ranks to Black group, you will find the lowest hp Porsche frustrating at times because your passing prestige will be low and higher hp cars will pass you in the straights and park it in the corners right in front of you.

Best to try one out. 944s are not easy to rent outside Club Races but there are several places that rent Miatas or Spec Boxsters. Get a coach to help you and see how that suits you.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:41 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
It really depends on your end goal. Getting a fully caged car with all safety equipment is really a great idea but be prepared to get a trailer and tow vehicle too.

If it is about mastering the skills required to drive a manual low hp car to record lap times, you will find the 944 a very rewarding experience. It will make you a better driver. I'm always impressed by how much fun the 944 classes have in PCA Club Racing.

If your goal is to progress through the DE ranks to Black group, you will find the lowest hp Porsche frustrating at times because your passing prestige will be low and higher hp cars will pass you in the straights and park it in the corners right in front of you.

Best to try one out. 944s are not easy to rent outside Club Races but there are several places that rent Miatas or Spec Boxsters. Get a coach to help you and see how that suits you.
Goal would simply be to have a car that I can enjoy, learn and be happy with on track for a few years. I a not interested in racing at the moment, just moving up in DE. I do have a truck, but would need a trailer. Miatas are out as an option, my sister died when hers flipped 8 years ago. This plays into feeling need to be safer with cage and harness for my family and I. I would prefer a 987 cayman or 996 911. Just think will need to spend more to get to this. So wanted to entertain the 944.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:47 PM
na94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend buying a used spec miata for track days. You can flog it all day long and not get into too much trouble. The porsche... not so much.

The fact that you are on here asking about what to do is a good sign. A lot of people show up with too much car for them, ball it up, then never come back. Happens way too often.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:51 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Usually by the time I see one of these threads with the thought of getting a 944 to use as a tool to learn racecraft the thread is bombarded with suggestions to get other cars. Rennlist is a Porsche based forum I am a Porsche guy I will tell you that once I got rid of the other Porsches and had a proper 944 built that car has taught be more about driving and racecraft and now I have a PCA race license. I am so proud of myself to ditch the ego and work hard and now have a license that with my car can race anywhere that PCA has a club race.
I am very lucky to work thru my business with one of the top race engineers in the business Greg Fordahl. He earns his money coaching and engineering for the top teams in IMSA and then returns to his own shop which specializes in 944s.
944s don't get much love as they are mostly judged by the lack of proper build and maintanance. When you look at the price to build a Spec 911 ($100K) or a spec boxter ($45K) the price for a proper 944 is a deal. Your budget of $15-20K will get you a great car that will make you a great driver if you stay on the gas and don't over brake.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:54 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by na94
I highly recommend buying a used spec miata for track days. You can flog it all day long and not get into too much trouble. The porsche... not so much.

The fact that you are on here asking about what to do is a good sign. A lot of people show up with too much car for them, ball it up, then never come back. Happens way too often.

OP just said no Miata
Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98

A properly set-up, dedicated track car is worlds apart from even a very competent, but necessarily compromised, street car.
+1
Old 04-22-2019, 12:44 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Old 04-22-2019, 06:57 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

When you are referring to 944s, are you speaking turbos, or NA? Several 944 turbos at our local track, but I kind of like the idea of a NA, momentum type car personally.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
Goal would simply be to have a car that I can enjoy, learn and be happy with on track for a few years. I a not interested in racing at the moment, just moving up in DE. I do have a truck, but would need a trailer. Miatas are out as an option, my sister died when hers flipped 8 years ago. This plays into feeling need to be safer with cage and harness for my family and I. I would prefer a 987 cayman or 996 911. Just think will need to spend more to get to this. So wanted to entertain the 944.
I think you would love a 944. Boxster and Cayman track cars are much more expensive than your budget. Agreed on the Miata as they are quite small inside and it’s easy to hit your helmet on the cage. If you were closer I’d lend you my 944 for a Track day at NJMP.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:36 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I did my DE career in a 944 NA. I think it is the best move you can make. You will learn to extract the most out of the car, especially being surrounded by more powerful cars. However, you must resist the urge to join in the "arms race". Just stick to your program. Hopefully there will be somebody else there in a similar car that you can play with. It will be annoying to have to give point by's on the straights to cars that have 3x your power. For the most part, you will get no respect from the instructor group, because you will always be viewed as slow. Again, stick to your program.

As to your questions:
Will I enjoy it as much?

I guess this depends on the individual. If you get your enjoyment from getting thrown back in your seat on acceleration, then no. If you enjoy extracting the most out of a car, then yes.

Will there be enough power for me?

Again, up to the individual. If you compare yourself to the other cars that usually show up, there will not be enough power. If you're there to learn to drive, then yes, it's enough power. Just wait till it rains, and the 944 will show how good it is.

Will the experience be thrilling?

Acceleration-wise. No way. If you like driving on the edge of what the car can do, then yes.

Will I be satisfied or want to just track my street car?

Like others have said. You can try one out and see if you like it. You will have to change your mindset going from a powerful car to a "momentum" car. I can almost guarantee you will hate it at first. "This thing has no power!" "I'm so slow!"

Should I look at a different car?

If you want a more modern car that is still momentum, then get a spec boxster. Don't know your budget or mechanical skills to work on cars to answer that question. 944's are cheap to maintain at the track. I think I got a whole season out of a set of tires. Same with brakes and rotors. Try that with a modern 911.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:49 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
A Cayman race car, purchased used, usually starts in the neighborhood of $50k. A new SPB build is usually in the $40s and can get into the $50s.

A used Spec996 or fully/shop built used SPB might be in the $30k ballpark, and basic build SPBs often change hands in the $20s. SPB engines and transmissions are cheaper but the 996 or Cayman would be a lot of fun.

I don’t know 944 prices but those that race them seem to like them. The BMW options are also worth a look. I wanted the mid-engine experience so it was SPB or a Cayman for me. I went SPB because of the lower costs (entry and running) and larger fields, but the Cayman is a cooler car IMO.

If you are pretty sure you won’t want to race I’d watch the classifieds for a track prepped car that you think would be a lot of fun to drive.

Last edited by ace37; 04-22-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st track car vs DE in 991.2 GTS