Sponsored by:

Which one's a keeper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:59 PM
knasman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which one's a keeper?

Frequent reader, but less frequent poster... Two months ago I posted about taking delivery of a 991.2 GT3 Touring. Weather has been rather inclement here over the winter and early spring, but I did manage to put 500 miles on it as of last week and got to open it up a bit. I love it so much! The 6-speed with that engine is just epic. Yes, I realize PDK is faster, but the manual is just so much fun that I don't care. The no-lift upshift and the rev match on downshift, both are intoxicating.

Originally I had my name on the GT2RS list, but I didn't manage to get an allocation. When I got the Touring, I was very sure I made the right decision. Hard to beat 9k of naturally aspirated screams. But... Yesterday I get a call, 2019 GT2RS coming in, good spec, and most importantly - at sticker. All black beast. This was too good of an opportunity to pass up, so now I've got that arriving in a little more than a month.

So here's the problem (which is the very definition of first world problems) - I don't intend to keep both of them. My plan is to enjoy both over the summer, then decide which one to is The Keeper. The GT3T is/was my "dead mans car". Can the GT2RS dethrone it? In terms of usage, mountain roads in the summer, some daily duties. I love to drive, and the more engaging the better. Occasional track time. I had a 991.1 C4S that I tracked quite a bit and had a BLAST doing that. If time permits, I'd like to do a bit more of that again.

Hope this all makes sense... I'm curious to hear from folks that are (or have) driven GT3 in a manual and the GT2RS.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Imo, only thing that matters is which one makes your hairs stand up on back of neck more after some time in each one.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, if you ever see a Viper Green GT3 tooling around SLC or the surrounding mountains, that's me. We should get a bunch of local people together and do some driving as the weather warms up!

As far as your dilemma, I am thinking the GT2RS will be the keeper, but that is my gut feeling. GT2s seem to be just a bit more special. However, I'd encourage you to make the decision after driving them both (as you plan on doing).
Old 03-23-2019, 04:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,732 Likes on 4,763 Posts

If you want a MT in a GT car, keep the GT3T.

If you want the fastest road going GT car from Porsche, keep the 2RS.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:20 PM
knasman
Instructor

True, both of you, the one that makes you feel special. Initially I didn't like the more rounded look of the GT2RS, but now I've gotten to the point where I actually thinks it's the most well proportioned of the GT lineup. Will have to wait a bit with the driving comparison! Which is why I'm trying to kill time with youtube videos and soliciting opinions of the experts in here.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:21 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1809
Hey, if you ever see a Viper Green GT3 tooling around SLC or the surrounding mountains, that's me. We should get a bunch of local people together and do some driving as the weather warms up!

As far as your dilemma, I am thinking the GT2RS will be the keeper, but that is my gut feeling. GT2s seem to be just a bit more special. However, I'd encourage you to make the decision after driving them both (as you plan on doing).
I'm leaning that way too... Haven't seen your viper green GT3 around here! But I'm definitely up for a drive as the weather warms up. I don't need a lot of excuses. Just now, it's 40F and everything around me is melting, feels like warm enough to take it out again :-)
Old 03-23-2019, 04:21 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the fact that you can keep both over the summer is already an advantage and you’ll have your answer then.
They’re both very very fast... but only one is manual. (Unless you track it of course)
Old 03-23-2019, 04:22 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

You will know when you drive both.

Only way I would keep a 2RS is with a 6MT swap.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:26 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1809

I will be bringing my chalk 991.2 GT3 up to PC this summer. Count me in.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:28 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by SB27
I will be bringing my chalk 991.2 GT3 up to PC this summer. Count me in.
Two chalks then, should make a decent balance for a viper green!
Old 03-23-2019, 04:59 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

I recently learned that I’m actually more addicted to the sounds of the engine and enjoyment of manual transmission than speed itself (but it does take a proper exhaust set up to fully appreciate). The GT2RS is king performance wise, but I also feel there will be many more high hp turbo options in the future like it and the 600LT, Pista, etc. I’ve driven the 600LT. Fast and light, but didn’t engage things I love about the GT3 or the ideal things I now look for in a sports car.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3
I recently learned that I’m actually more addicted to the sounds of the engine and enjoyment of manual transmission than speed itself (but it does take a proper exhaust set up to fully appreciate). The GT2RS is king performance wise, but I also feel there will be many more high hp turbo options in the future like it and the 600LT, Pista, etc. I’ve driven the 600LT. Fast and light, but didn’t engage things I love about the GT3 or the ideal things I now look for in a sports car.
Well said, something I've been thinking/assuming as well. The .2 GT3 engine is just epic in every which way, and especially so in conjunction with the manual (for me). Sure, the GT2RS is faster, but does it matter? For all intents and purposes, the GT3 is waaaay fast enough for spirited mountain road driving, and the long RPM range just adds to that. Will the fact that you now have to hold even more back when driving on the street take away from the enjoyment? These are some of the questions I hope to get an answer to when driving the 2RS, thanks for you input.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:42 PM
knasman
Instructor

Also curious as to what folks think in terms of economic value longer term. Looks like the 992 GT3 will retain the NA engine, and I'm assuming they will be doing a manual in that one too. If the GT3 went forced induction, I think the answer would be clear here. At the moment I'm not a 992 fan at all, I think the rear is hideous, it's heavier, and too much of a spaceship inside. But maybe mine (and others) perception of that will change over time, none of these feeling or reactions seem exclusive to the 992, I bet the exact same happened when the 991 was announced.

They made a lot of 2RS's after all, not the initial 1000 announced. We got that in NA almost... Touring is "rarer" in that regard, though if you include winged GT3 manuals, then that's not true.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:45 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

GT3 = great car
GT2RS = epic car
Old 03-23-2019, 06:08 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

GT3= great car
GT3RS= mo better great car