Sponsored by:

Do you dyno in sport or sport plus-**dyno results inside**

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 04:58 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts
Default Do you dyno in sport or sport plus-**dyno results inside**

Good morning-taking the 911t for a dyno run tomorrow afternoon and have a few questions:
Which gear do you use for the 7 speed? My guess is 4th but 5th may also be an option since it seems closest to 1:1.

Do yo dyno in sport or sport plus? I know sport plus is supposed to unlock all the responsiveness from the motor and chassis, but on the street sport seems to have the most “kick” driving around town. I can actually feel a difference in throttle response when switching from normal to sport and sport to sport plus...maybe it’s in my mind? Looking forward to what everyone else has done.

Last edited by polobai; 03-20-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:22 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Good morning-taking the 911t for a dyno run tomorrow afternoon and have a few questions:
Which gear do you use for the 7 speed? My guess is 4th but 5th may also be an option since it seems closest to 1:1.

Do yo dyno in sport or sport plus? I know sport plus is supposed to unlock all the responsiveness from the motor and chassis, but on the street sport seems to have the most “kick” driving around town. I can actually feel a difference in throttle response when switching from normal to sport and sport to sport plus...maybe it’s in my mind? Looking forward to what everyone else has done.
4th and Sport are "by the book." But it's okay to do a few runs to play. I didn't see any difference between sport and sport plus. Not many have actually dynoed.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 218 Posts

Ray, you going to do a baseline and then dyno again to realize the benefits of the mods?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:26 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Hope you are taking it to a place that will make sure the front wheels are free to "spin". I took my 2013 S in for a dyno the other day and they strapped the car down by the front wheels. They thought this would be ok given it is rear wheel drive... but what they did not know (and I did not either) was that the computers would restrict output since all 4 wheel were not rotating. No easy place to strap other than the wheels with the belly panels in place as they could not get to any suspension members ..... at that point it was gonna take another couple of hours to get a lift available and remove the panels so I just cancelled the whole deal......

I bring this up since a lot of late model Porsches have not been on a dyno and while my place was well established / recommended they had never done a late model Porsche before and weren't set up to do it right !
Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 AM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Ray, you going to do a baseline and then dyno again to realize the benefits of the mods?
Correct. Tomorrow will be a baseline vs Cobb stage 1 OTS tune. Once I get the protune and bypass pipes in I will dyno again to compare stage 2, stage 1 with bypass pipes as well as the protune.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Hope you are taking it to a place that will make sure the front wheels are free to "spin". I took my 2013 S in for a dyno the other day and they strapped the car down by the front wheels. They thought this would be ok given it is rear wheel drive... but what they did not know (and I did not either) was that the computers would restrict output since all 4 wheel were not rotating. No easy place to strap other than the wheels with the belly panels in place as they could not get to any suspension members ..... at that point it was gonna take another couple of hours to get a lift available and remove the panels so I just cancelled the whole deal......

I bring this up since a lot of late model Porsches have not been on a dyno and while my place was well established / recommended they had never done a late model Porsche before and weren't set up to do it right !
You have to go into the ECU and put the car into Dyno Mode. Only a PIWIZ2 or Autel can do this.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:30 AM
polobai
Drifting

When I dyno’d the gt4 I turned off the traction control and it did the trick. Once done I did get an abs light but driving the car for 5 mins it self cleared. Hoping it’s the same with the t
Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 AM
garfunkle
Banned

When I dyno’d the gt4 I turned off the traction control and it did the trick. Once done I did get an abs light but driving the car for 5 mins it self cleared. Hoping it’s the same with the t
It's not... on the 991.1 forward and 718 forward you must go into the computer and put the car into dyno mode. 4WD dyno won't matter (unless a 4S).
Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM
polobai
Drifting

Well that stinks-how does everyone else dyno their 991’s? I’m sure most don’t have the tools to put it into dyno mode...
Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Well that stinks-how does everyone else dyno their 991’s? I’m sure most don’t have the tools to put it into dyno mode...
Most higher end shops will have these tools as they aren't just Porsche specific. The 997 and 981 are nice because the cars automatically go into dyno mode when they figure out what's happening.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:04 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Hope you are taking it to a place that will make sure the front wheels are free to "spin". I took my 2013 S in for a dyno the other day and they strapped the car down by the front wheels. They thought this would be ok given it is rear wheel drive... but what they did not know (and I did not either) was that the computers would restrict output since all 4 wheel were not rotating.
Reminds me of when The Fast Lane Car put an M2 on the dyno when it first came out. They claimed it was putting down something like 280 horsepower (rather than 330-340 whp).

Turns out they not only used crap 91 fuel, but also strapped down the front wheels so the car cut power. Morons.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

4S dynoes fine on a linked-Mustang, but that's pretty expensive and harder to find.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:36 PM
polobai
Drifting

Dyno is done! Results are pretty impressive imo...stay tuned for results!!!

On the rollers

Old 03-20-2019, 06:06 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
It's not... on the 991.1 forward and 718 forward you must go into the computer and put the car into dyno mode. 4WD dyno won't matter (unless a 4S).
This is interesting - are you sure it’s not just for PDK? Where did you get this info? I asked Flat 6/BGB Motorsports (honestly I can’t remember which as I have spoken to both - don’t want to misquote so I’ll make that disclaimer), whichever it was said that this was only PDK (“dyno-mode”).
Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 PM
polobai
Drifting

I believe it is for pdk. I did the dyno today on a 2wd dyno with no issues-just turned off traction control and went to town (held button down for about 5 seconds). There were lots of errors and codes that came up though-everything from abs lights to rear wheel steering errors to airbag lights...however they all self cleared within 5 mins of street driving and had no impact on the numbers that I could tell. This was the same experience I had with my gt4.

Quick Reply: Do you dyno in sport or sport plus-**dyno results inside**