Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are TPMS sensors so damn expensive???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:29 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts
Default Why are TPMS sensors so damn expensive???

Was just shocked by my local dealer to be quoted at $220 a sensor, and that they have irreplaceable batteries that apparently wear out every 4-7 years.

A literal 3 second google for TPMS sensor porsche 981 yields about a dozen different brands all ranging in cost from $38 for random generic to $159 for Suncoast OEM.

So I have to ask, what the hell is the difference? (tried searching, several threads but no definitive answer) My first thought was that the dealer is fleecing me and I should just go somewhere else, but apparently this is how Porsche rolls for the OEM sensors (although the 25+% markup from Suncoast still pisses me off). I'm considering just ordering the sensors online and asking the dealer to install, and taking my car elsewhere if they refuse; there's only about 8 other dealers within a 30 mile radius to choose from... but I need to know if there's a substantial penalty for cheaping out on the sensors; e.g., they're incompatible, or don't list PSI just warn when they're "low", etc.

Also, should I just wait until I have problems? The "4-7 years" thing has come up in other threads; that's a pretty significant amount of variance, maybe I just cross that bridge when I get there?

I've owned a Porsche for 4 years now, owned 2 Porsches for over a year and paid exorbitant amounts for dealer maintenance, but this is the first time I've truly felt the sticker shock. Mostly because it just seems stupid, like Porsche owners are just too oblivious to question why the hell they're asking so much for something that historically on every other car I've ever owned is about 1/4 the cost.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 494 Likes on 362 Posts

Try titantpms. I've bought two sets from them. Had them replaced with new tires. First time by dealer and second by Tire Rack installer.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:45 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Rockauto.com May have the sensors at a uuggge discount
Old 03-18-2019, 11:31 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I replaced a tpms sensor in my Cayman R about a year ago. Did a lot of research and ordered a replacement tpms sensor from tpms.com. Cost was $35 and it arrived within a couple days. Still working great.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:45 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 494 Likes on 362 Posts

Just one? While the batteries last based on usage, my experience is when one goes the rest are not to far behind. When I'm getting new tire I replace the sensors if they are 4-5 years old.

09 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 03-18-2019, 11:53 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll always keep real TPMS in my Porsche, but I'm pretty sold on the BT sensors. For the Miata and my truck, the set of 4 was $35 and has proven to be super-accurate so far. Love seeing the exact measurement at a glance, and definitely gives fair warning if/when something is going wrong to avoid catastrophic issue.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:57 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I’m fairly certain usage plays a bigger role than time, I’m at 9 years and still on my originals and they (knock on wood) are working fine. I know I’m on borrowed time though.

Dealer prices are always ridiculous. Sunset Porsche has decent parts prices if you want OE, otherwise there are some other options that have already been mentioned.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered a second set of TPMS sensors from Tirerack when I ordered tires for my new wheels. At the time they were $71 each. Looks like they are now $69. I did a lot of research. Near as I can find these are the OE sensors from the OEM supplier. As far as I can recall the same sensor works in base, S, and GTS.

https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/result...6&autoModClar=
Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

I got the ones that are $130/4 and it works fine.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:32 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I got the ones that are $130/4 and it works fine.
Which ones are those? That's half the price of the TireRack ones.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:40 AM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Was just shocked by my local dealer to be quoted at $220 a sensor, and that they have irreplaceable batteries that apparently wear out every 4-7 years.

A literal 3 second google for TPMS sensor porsche 981 yields about a dozen different brands all ranging in cost from $38 for random generic to $159 for Suncoast OEM.

So I have to ask, what the hell is the difference? (tried searching, several threads but no definitive answer) My first thought was that the dealer is fleecing me and I should just go somewhere else, but apparently this is how Porsche rolls for the OEM sensors (although the 25+% markup from Suncoast still pisses me off). I'm considering just ordering the sensors online and asking the dealer to install, and taking my car elsewhere if they refuse; there's only about 8 other dealers within a 30 mile radius to choose from... but I need to know if there's a substantial penalty for cheaping out on the sensors; e.g., they're incompatible, or don't list PSI just warn when they're "low", etc.

Also, should I just wait until I have problems? The "4-7 years" thing has come up in other threads; that's a pretty significant amount of variance, maybe I just cross that bridge when I get there?

I've owned a Porsche for 4 years now, owned 2 Porsches for over a year and paid exorbitant amounts for dealer maintenance, but this is the first time I've truly felt the sticker shock. Mostly because it just seems stupid, like Porsche owners are just too oblivious to question why the hell they're asking so much for something that historically on every other car I've ever owned is about 1/4 the cost.
Me too! I have a Porsche invoice for this the Porsche tech notes 0 months remaining in TPMS and recommends replacement of all 4. $1520.

I understand why the battery isn't replaceable, though. Consider the loads the unit has to endure, being inside a rotating wheel. If it were a physically removable and replaceable battery the problem of keeping the battery solidly connected, not rattling around, would be a tough one.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:54 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by professsorz
Which ones are those? That's half the price of the TireRack ones.
https://www.tpms.com/Huf_IntelliSens...0811vagset.htm
Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by professsorz
Me too! I have a Porsche invoice for this the Porsche tech notes 0 months remaining in TPMS and recommends replacement of all 4. $1520.
Wait, so the current sensors are working fine and they're recommending you replace them because theoretically they should've stopped working by now? Do they think your tire deflates once the battery dies?

At 10 years old, I'm not sure if I still have the original ones but since I'll likely be ordering a new wheel & tire combo from Tire Rack in the next year or 2, I'll just have them install new ones so I can swap the wheels myself without needing to visit a shop.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Wish I had found this last year. Those are the exact same sensors Tirerack is selling for twice the price. What I received were Huf units.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:05 PM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

are all those aftermarket tpms pre-programmed?

Quick Reply: Why are TPMS sensors so damn expensive???