Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is Burmeister worth the extra 7 grand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:12 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Is Burmeister worth the extra 7 grand?

Hi all,
Trying to decide if I should ad the Burmeister Sound system to my Cayenne S? I love + love music and am an audiophile so wanted to hear some thoughts about the difference between
this system and the Bose which I've configured now? I'm leaning definitely toward adding it but want some opinions.
Thanks guys!!
Old 03-15-2019, 06:43 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

I wish I'd gotten it in my 911 (I ended up doing the Musicar Northwest tweeter upgrade and it helped tremendously) but I'm extremely happy with the Bose in my Cayenne. I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't heard the Burmester but I can't imagine it'd be worth the extra cost unless you just really, really want the best.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:53 PM
jsclarke
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm an audiophile too (at home)... and I bet if you compared Burmeister to Bose in a Cayenne with the engine off in a dealer showroom you'd notice a substantial difference.

But, on the road, with a marginal source like satellite radio, would it be worth the price of very serious home gear? I mean, think of what kind of home gear you could get for that price. I'm getting Bose...

John
Old 03-15-2019, 07:33 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts

My wife has the Bose in her Panamera, and I am not impressed. However, in my BMW 7, I have the $5000 upgraded Bang & Olufsen, so anything less, just sounds less. The Bose, in comparison, sounds like I am hearing music through a tin can, but if you don't know the difference, save the money and relax. I am getting the Burmester.

Last edited by SilverSteel; 04-08-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:50 PM
DevLep
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the Bose in the new Cayenne sounds very good. I have a 2019 Cayenne S with the thermal glass as well, it just sounds..weak. Interestingly, I am comparing it to the Bose in my 2016 Panamera GTS, and in that car the Bose system is phenomenal. I don't know if the system was changed when the Panamera switched to the 971 model as I have not heard it in that. I bought my Cayenne off the lot so I didn't quite go through your dilemma but I'd never get this Bose system again. You might have to go listen for yourself...
Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I had Bose in my 2015 Panamera and elected to not upgrade at all in my 2018 Panamera, and I'm very happy. I'm an audiophile and musician also. I think it's a waste of money, personally, to get anything above the base audio, which I find to be plenty good. It's a car, not a house; there are sound limits in a car, beyond which it gets kinda ridiculous, and I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:05 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I love my Burmester in my 958.1 and wouldn't want the car without it. I purchased preowned so it didn't cost me.

For $7,000 I'd go aftermarket and save some cash. It's a great and balanced system but 7k, I'd get aftermarket and save the cash. You never recoup that Bur on resale.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:19 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

You mentioned you’re an audiophile. To me, that seals the deal right there. Buy the Burmeister or you’ll probably regret it. We are NOT audiophiles and think the Bose in our Turbo is fine.

We happen to be speed freaks who get off on massive V8 power. If we’d bought the S we’d originally spec’d, I guarantee you we’d feel more than a little let down. Priorities matter in a car like this.

I had a few coworkers in our car last week, and drilled the SOB to 120 mph in a heartbeat on a safe, wide, empty industrial road, then slammed on the PCCBs and hauled us to 20 mph like I’d tossed out an anchor into wet concrete. They were laughing and scared ****less at the same time.

I get the impression you might do whatever the Burmeister sound-equivalent is. If the Bose is an S and the Burm is the Turbo... dude, listen to your heart and get the big dog.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:25 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 413 Posts

$7K is a lot for a sound system.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

For what it’s worth found the Bose sounded a lot better when i turned on the linear mode or whatever the mode is that turns off all that midrange hump they tune into the system. This is 958.1.

Of you you obsess about this stuff get the more expensive system. As mentioned above I’m not sure you really hear a massive difference on the road and with compressed audio sources.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 AM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts

Go listen to the Bose, if you're happy, buy it.

I've heard it and it sounds "ok", and I AM AN AUDIOPHILE. Just one Mcintosh amp (MAC7200) I have cost $7,500, not including the other equipment. If you like quality music, and you want it in your car, buy it. If you really don't care that much while you're driving, buy the Bose.

I'm just saying that I have never regretted upgrading the stereos in my cars. For me, it really wasn't an option, but I wrestled with swallowing the "pill", the price. Have a drink and know you got the best. Now, if there were a Burmester owner here trashing the equipment, well then I would probably have gone the other direction. But everything I've read and heard (see youtube), was enough for me.

This help:

The standard Sound Package Plus is a 10-speaker system with 150 watts of power. Next up is a Bose surround sound system with 710 watts and 14 speakers including a subwoofer. Sitting at the top of the audio lineup is a Burmester 3D surround sound system with 1,455 watts and 21 speakers. This includes an active subwoofer and tweeters all designed to reduce distortion and provide the best sound quality possible.

https://nuvomagazine.com/transport/n...d-sound-system

Last edited by SilverSteel; 03-18-2019 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Links
Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 AM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with a Bose in my 991 Turbo since it was a sports car and regretted it soon afterwards. My wife is fine with Bose in her Macan but I wanted the Burmester in our Cayenne. But agree that 7K is a lot - it was a little less for the CTT ($5.8K).
Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 AM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I appreciate everyone who's chimed in!! In talking with my wife and listening to comments here she feels I should go compare the systems Bose and Bumester to see if there really is a huge difference because she feels 7,000 is o lot of money for a sound system in a car! Now my home systems is expensive Bang and Olufsen etc so I'm going to dealer tomorrow to compare and then make a final decision. Already well over the so called budget for the Cayenne S!!! Somehow I can't stop adding options to this gosh darn thing!! Anyway I'll report back my feelings tomorrow if anyone is curious to know and thanks again for the input!!
Old 03-18-2019, 02:51 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

The Burm is definitely better then the Bose. Is it $7K good? To me yes, to others no.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I listened to both in a Cayenne (before getting a Panamera with the Bose) and though I appreciated the difference, it didn't suit my needs. I listen to at least as much news/sports/talk radio and audio books as I do music when I drive. For my use case, it definitely wasn't worth the money.

Quick Reply: Is Burmeister worth the extra 7 grand?