Sponsored by:

Sharkwerks install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:08 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Sharkwerks install

Anyone in or next to freehold with a lift wanna help a fellow member install my new exhaust..... would greatly appreciate it and don’t mind paying for your time!
Old 02-22-2019, 12:54 AM
ubtrippin
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Where are you located
Old 02-22-2019, 01:57 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

delete
Old 02-22-2019, 02:31 AM
Gasman85
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

No lift is needed if you take the bumper off
Old 02-22-2019, 04:54 AM
ubtrippin
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

The member might not have tools or be mechanically inclined thus probably may be his reason asking for help. If you live in Houston I can help you.

Last edited by ubtrippin; 02-22-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Freehold, NJ? Agree that lift is not necessary if removing bumper.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

freehold Nj
Old 02-22-2019, 09:47 AM
audiophilitis
Racer

I did it on my 997 with just ramps in my small garage but rear bumper was removed and Akrapovic had very detailed instructions. I don’t mind helping out with your install as i’m doing the same on my RS in the spring. I have the necessary tools but instructions on 991 bumper removal would be helpful.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:29 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No lift needed and no need to take bumper off. Takes about an hour.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 AM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

I recently installed mine on drive on ramps.

If you are installing the 100mm tips, I would highly recommend picking up a can of high temp matte black spray paint (from Lowes or Home Depot) to paint the front of the bypass (the portion you can see - where the tips are installed). It looks 100 times better.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 AM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
No lift needed and no need to take bumper off. Takes about an hour.
Yep. I jacked up the back about 8 inches and put blocks under the rear tires. Took an hour taking my time. No salt no rain 4700 mile car though.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:29 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Ramps and a few hand tools.
Sharkwerks provides excellent instructions, as well YouTube is your friend.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:05 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

- No need for lift

- No need to remove bumper either

1) Buy a set of $40 ramps at any parts store like 1Gunner's Porsche 911 Touring with the GT3 badge. Reverse over the ramps, use two jack stands as extra precaution, put a block on the front tires, handbrake and parking applied, key off ignition, place a King size bed comforter folded in 2 or 3, get all the underneath lightning you can, have your professional car technician (PCT from here on) wear safety glasses because there is a lot of debris under these cars.

2) Have the PCT loosen up the two flanges attaching the cats to the side mufflers (if you still enjoy having them there, they should not exist).

3) Have the PCT remove (10) 13mm nuts attaching the upper pipes (2 nuts) and lower pipes (3 nuts) into the center muffler.

4) Have the PCT remove the two bands retaining the center muffler. #2 and #4 are done with an allen key (I don't recall the number), everything is hand tight, the muffler parts don't require heavy torque, just small tightening, except the headers where exact torque in a cross-tightening pattern must be followed.

5) There are (6) 13mm nuts supporting the side mufflers, have the PCT remove them so he has some play between a side muffler and the center muffler.

6) Have the PCT push the center muffler to one side and the side muffler to the opposite side, so they be disconnected, then pull the center muffler out.

7) Have the PCT put back the 4 flanges that were attached to the stock center muffler and the 10 nuts back to it, take pictures and sell on ebay, or add to office, attic, basement.

8) Have the PCT connect the Sharkwerks, then tighten the side mufflers (6 bolts), tighten the headers/cats flange with the side muffler.

9) Have the PCT make sure your Sharkwerks is centered so move it left and right, install clamps, tighten the clamps.

10) Have the PCT exchange tips from old Center to Sharkwerks.

Enjoy one of the best sounding GT3 for the money. I had them and they made a great sound with the valves open, but with valves closed the car was just mute (because of side anchors), and I always want the lightest and best sound from all my cars.

It's an easy DIY project for a PCT.

Disclaimer: The tips and recommendations written here are for reference-only and must not be followed by non-certified car technicians. As always, refer these installations to a professional car technician (PCT) or Porsche dealers. Tampering with exhaust systems might be a State or Federal law violation. If done as a DIY project, the installer assumes any and all risks. In no way the recommendations above imply forcing an individual to follow them, there are just recommendations and not instructions. These recommendations to an installation thread question do not represent actual instructions, proper instructions are documented by Porsche in the workshop manual. Interpretation of these recommendations as instructions is the sole responsibility of the installer...
Old 02-22-2019, 02:11 PM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

AS valuable write up
Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Originally Posted by A/S
- No need for lift

- No need to remove bumper either

1) Buy a set of $40 ramps at any parts store like 1Gunner's Porsche 911 Touring with the GT3 badge. Reverse over the ramps, use two jack stands as extra precaution, put a block on the front tires, handbrake and parking applied, key off ignition, place a King size bed comforter folded in 2 or 3, get all the underneath lightning you can, have your professional car technician (PCT from here on) wear safety glasses because there is a lot of debris under these cars.

2) Have the PCT loosen up the two flanges attaching the cats to the side mufflers (if you still enjoy having them there, they should not exist).

3) Have the PCT remove (10) 13mm nuts attaching the upper pipes (2 nuts) and lower pipes (3 nuts) into the center muffler.

4) Have the PCT remove the two bands retaining the center muffler. #2 and #4 are done with an allen key (I don't recall the number), everything is hand tight, the muffler parts don't require heavy torque, just small tightening, except the headers where exact torque in a cross-tightening pattern must be followed.

5) There are (6) 13mm nuts supporting the side mufflers, have the PCT remove them so he has some play between a side muffler and the center muffler.

6) Have the PCT push the center muffler to one side and the side muffler to the opposite side, so they be disconnected, then pull the center muffler out.

7) Have the PCT put back the 4 flanges that were attached to the stock center muffler and the 10 nuts back to it, take pictures and sell on ebay, or add to office, attic, basement.

8) Have the PCT connect the Sharkwerks, then tighten the side mufflers (6 bolts), tighten the headers/cats flange with the side muffler.

9) Have the PCT make sure your Sharkwerks is centered so move it left and right, install clamps, tighten the clamps.

10) Have the PCT exchange tips from old Center to Sharkwerks.

Enjoy one of the best sounding GT3 for the money. I had them and they made a great sound with the valves open, but with valves closed the car was just mute (because of side anchors), and I always want the lightest and best sound from all my cars.

It's an easy DIY project for a PCT.

Disclaimer: The tips and recommendations written here are for reference-only and must not be followed by non-certified car technicians. As always, refer these installations to a professional car technician (PCT) or Porsche dealers. Tampering with exhaust systems might be a State or Federal law violation. If done as a DIY project, the installer assumes any and all risks. In no way the recommendations above imply forcing an individual to follow them, there are just recommendations and not instructions. These recommendations to an installation thread question do not represent actual instructions, proper instructions are documented by Porsche in the workshop manual. Interpretation of these recommendations as instructions is the sole responsibility of the installer...
Would one be able to install JCR valved racepipes w/o bumper removal?

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks install