993 Forum 1995-1998

993 ECU Performance Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:57 AM
Swiss_movement
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 ECU Performance Upgrade

Hello everyone. I’m sure this question has been asked and answered but I just cannot find it under search.

I bought a 1998 Carrera Cab Tiptronic last year. The car was all stock and I installed Fister II and Fabspeed X-pipe sport cats. It sounds great now.

Now I’m looking into ECU upgrades for a little more power and torque. Any recommendations? Have you been successful in getting more power with a performance ECU?

I see that some some companies are selling these ECU upgrades including one from Fabspeed which requires you to send in the ECU (I prefer not to have to do that).

Your thougut, suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

look att www.911chips.com !
Old 02-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

discussion of RS Cams/ECU upgrade: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-road-car.html
power increase : https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ine-build.html

What do you mean by "a little more power and torque" Most people interpret that to mean an increase in the peak value, which in a 993 is expensive to do.

alternatively, while not increasing the peak HP/Torque significantly, there ARE things that will add mid range, i.e. alter the shape of the curve, including flashing the ECU/chip.
Also expensive, is re-gearing the transmission, which will not increase horsepower, but will have a definite effect. LWF will add a touch of throttle response
You can also remove weight from the car, and there are lots of threads on that.

Are you tracking the car, or just looking for a bit more when you step on the loud pedal? How much do you intend on spending?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:28 PM
Swiss_movement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
discussion of RS Cams/ECU upgrade: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-road-car.html
power increase : https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ine-build.html

What do you mean by "a little more power and torque" Most people interpret that to mean an increase in the peak value, which in a 993 is expensive to do.

alternatively, while not increasing the peak HP/Torque significantly, there ARE things that will add mid range, i.e. alter the shape of the curve, including flashing the ECU/chip.
Also expensive, is re-gearing the transmission, which will not increase horsepower, but will have a definite effect. LWF will add a touch of throttle response
You can also remove weight from the car, and there are lots of threads on that.

Are you tracking the car, or just looking for a bit more when you step on the loud pedal? How much do you intend on spending?
I mean a higher hp number and higher torque number on the dyno. I upgraded the ECU on a Benz and after receiving the modified ECU the increase in power and torque were completely noticeable.

I don’t want to track the car and don’t want to alter the car too much from its stock. I upgraded to Fister II and Fabspeed X-pipe but have kept all the original parts just in case I put the car back to stock.

I was thinking of spending around $1000 for an performance ECU upgrade.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:47 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiss_movement
I was thinking of spending around $1000 for an performance ECU upgrade.
The ECU upgrade will cost at least $1000. The '97 ECU is the easiest to flash, they are about $2000 or more used.

The performance gains will be very minimal, maybe 5-7hp and torque and you may/may not feel them from your butt dyno.

As said previous, there are no cheap power upgrades on a 993. The more you wanna feel the power, the more you're gonna feel it in your wallet.

Cheapest big power gain is a supercharger, about $13K or so, and 100 horses or so. It comes with it's own drawbacks.

My suggestion is enjoy what the 993 is, and if you feel yourself wanting for power, save your money and get a 993 Turbo.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:49 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I mean a higher hp number and higher torque number on the dyno.
I was thinking of spending around $1000 for a performance ECU upgrade.
Save your money as a chip upgrade is a slight and incremental change on a non-turbo car.
Some find regearing the transmission gives more pep to our cars but the cash price is a good bit more than $1000 to do this.
I have a C2 coupe and although I find the first gear rather short I do like the tall second & third gears as they make in-traffic driving easier.
A 993 is a vintage sports car where the balance and feedback it gives you while driving is the joy in it. If you want the best bang for the buck on a slap-you-in-the-seat experience consider a 996 Turbo.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 06-09-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

And the reality:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-the-myth.html
Old 02-20-2019, 04:39 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

OP has a tip and many talks of regearing. Supercharge it.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:21 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Save your money as a chip upgrade is a slight and incremental change on a non-turbo car.
Some find regearing the transmission gives more pep to our cars but the cash price is a good bit more than $1000 to do this.
I have a C2 coup and although I find first gear rather short I do like the tall and long second & third gears as they are so for me I have let enough alone and just enjoy the ride as it is.
A 993 is a vintage sports car where the balance and feedback it gives you while driving is the joy in it. If you want the best bang for the buck on a slap you in the seat experience consider a 996 Turbo.
Andy
I totally agree with this statement. Just enjoy the car. The 993 is a joy to drive and is what it is, not more. I have increased by 993 race car (now sold) quite a bit of horse power through a lot of money and while it was faster in the end it is still a fun 993 to drive and will never be the fastest car out there. Make sure your car looks good, sounds good and handles well, forget about the horsepower......
Old 02-20-2019, 06:07 PM
Swiss_movement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kary993
I totally agree with this statement. Just enjoy the car. The 993 is a joy to drive and is what it is, not more. I have increased by 993 race car (now sold) quite a bit of horse power through a lot of money and while it was faster in the end it is still a fun 993 to drive and will never be the fastest car out there. Make sure your car looks good, sounds good and handles well, forget about the horsepower......
Well, thanks for all the comments. I was going to send in my ECU to Fabspeed for a $1000 remapping but now I’m thinking it is not worth it. Particularly because my car is a tiptronic.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:22 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I have a C2 coup and although I find first gear rather short I do like the tall and long second & third gears as they are so for me I have let enough alone and just enjoy the ride as it is. have let enough alone and just enjoy the ride as it is.
A 993 is a vintage sports car where the balance and feedback it gives you while driving is the joy in it. If you want the best bang for the buck on a slap you in the seat experience consider a 996 Turbo.
Andy
Andy, the bold text in your statement is precisely why some 993 owners re-gear their trans to shorten up the rev and power robbing spacing between the gears you mentioned.

All you can buy for $1000 is the programming flash, which does not include the 97 ECM, which is NLA from Porsche.

Since the 97 ECM is NLA, one will pay a pretty penny for a used unit for its programability.

Today, the most economical horsepower and torque boost is via a supercharger, as goofballdelux mentioned; which is about the same price as a 97 ECM and flash. The supercharger will provide 50 horsepower across the rpm range from 2500 to 6500. Whereas the ECM upgrade will provide maybe 10 to 15 horsepower. The math is simple.

Last edited by nine9six; 02-21-2019 at 02:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (06-09-2023)
Old 02-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

As a counterpoint, I did an ecu flash last year and am happy I did. The difference is not huge, but it is a noticeable improvement. Power comes on a little sooner, the engine feels more eager, and there are no flat spots anywhere in the RPM range, it just pulls smoothly to the top.

It won’t blow you away, but its a little extra oomph and smoothness to the acceleration that for me made the flash worthwhile. At the same time you can remove immobilizer, which was the motivation for my flash to begin with. I found the immobilizer extremely annoying and was willing to flash just to get rid of that. The power increase was gravy.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Swiss_movement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
As a counterpoint, I did an ecu flash last year and am happy I did. The difference is not huge, but it is a noticeable improvement. Power comes on a little sooner, the engine feels more eager, and there are no flat spots anywhere in the RPM range, it just pulls smoothly to the top.

It won’t blow you away, but its a little extra oomph and smoothness to the acceleration that for me made the flash worthwhile. At the same time you can remove immobilizer, which was the motivation for my flash to begin with. I found the immobilizer extremely annoying and was willing to flash just to get rid of that. The power increase was gravy.
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me who or what company you used to flash the ECU? Did you have to take out the ECU and mail it in? And how much did it cost.

Fabspeed says eats send in the ECU. I don’t even know how to take it out!

Also what do you mean by immobilized? Are you referring to car not starting unles you lock and unlock first?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me who or what company you used to flash the ECU? Did you have to take out the ECU and mail it in? And how much did it cost.

Fabspeed says eats send in the ECU. I don’t even know how to take it out!

Also what do you mean by immobilized? Are you referring to car not starting unles you lock and unlock first?
I used FVD. It had to be taken out and mailed, yes. I sent to Florida, they sent to their technicians in Germany. I think they charge around 1k, but I got it as a special offer as part of a parts purchase. Taking it out is not that hard, remove seat, pull the ecu. If you aren’t handy, a shop could do it in less than an hour. But your car is not going to drive until you get the ECU back.

Yes, the immobilizer is what keeps the car from starting unless you cycle the locks. Now I can just get in and drive. Its great! Also don’t have to worry about the immobilizer stranding me, which was always in the back of my mind, even if it’s unlikely. The immobilizer removal also requires a fuel relay bypass in the frunk (simply plug it in) and the removal of a warning light in the clock. Otherwise it blinks because it’s missing the immobilizer signal. Not as complicated as it sounds, and well worth it. You can also remove the SAI fault, so that the ECU acts like a 95 and ignores SAI failures. I think that’s worth doing as well, if it’s legal for where you live.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Today, the most economical horsepower and torque boost is via a supercharger, which is about the same price as a 97 ECM and flash. The supercharger will provide 50 horsepower across the rpm range from 2500 to 6500. Whereas the ECM upgrade will provide maybe 10 to 15 horsepower. The math is simple.
Not exactly.

Used ECU is around $2K, add another $1K or so for the flash. You won't see a 15 horse power increase, probably about half that.

Supercharger kit and installation done right by a pro will cost well over $10K and add about 100 horses.

Quick Reply: 993 ECU Performance Upgrade