Sponsored by:

997.2 TTS Upgrade Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM
rgp123
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 TTS Upgrade Suggestions?

Newish owner, just purchased wheels and tires. What are some inexpensive upgrades? Tunes/power gains? Any great suggestions out there? Fast/amazing car already but I’m curious to see what you all think. Cheers 👊
Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

You will undoubtedly get all kinds of input on this forum. All comes down to how you plan to use the car I think. Traditional street enthusiast set=up usually includes an exhaust for sure! These cars sound like a vacuum cleaner without one. Lots of options, I went with a Europipe ($4,000ish). Fairly pricey but sounds awesome and extremely well made. Lots of guys lower their cars - I did with TechArt springs ($500 plus install and alignment). Lots of guys love a suspension control unit called a DSC ($1,200 ish). I have one and love it for mountain roads etc. From a horsepower perspective you can go from mild to wild depending on your budget and goals. Pure ECU tunes come in many reliable flavors by several site sponsors. Kevin at UMW seems to be one of the favorites as well as Sam. I had my car tuned by my local indi speed shop here in Atlanta using a Cobb for the engine and PDK tune. Ramps power up by about 90-100 WHP/Tq. (So 570/590 to the wheels on my 2012 S). ($2,500-$3,500) done right. There are cheaper routes for preloaded tunes - I would highly recommend getting support from someone and dial in your car safely.

Other guys go deep and get into new Turbos, IC's, internals etc and make these cars insanely fast.
The following users liked this post:
RockyTop (02-01-2022)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
You will undoubtedly get all kinds of input on this forum. All comes down to how you plan to use the car I think. Traditional street enthusiast set=up usually includes an exhaust for sure! These cars sound like a vacuum cleaner without one. Lots of options, I went with a Europipe ($4,000ish). Fairly pricey but sounds awesome and extremely well made. Lots of guys lower their cars - I did with TechArt springs ($500 plus install and alignment). Lots of guys love a suspension control unit called a DSC ($1,200 ish). I have one and love it for mountain roads etc. From a horsepower perspective you can go from mild to wild depending on your budget and goals. Pure ECU tunes come in many reliable flavors by several site sponsors. Kevin at UMW seems to be one of the favorites as well as Sam. I had my car tuned by my local indi speed shop here in Atlanta using a Cobb for the engine and PDK tune. Ramps power up by about 90-100 WHP/Tq. (So 570/590 to the wheels on my 2012 S). ($2,500-$3,500) done right. There are cheaper routes for preloaded tunes - I would highly recommend getting support from someone and dial in your car safely.

Other guys go deep and get into new Turbos, IC's, internals etc and make these cars insanely fast.
!00% accurate and spot-on. I've lowed my TTS with Eibach springs and installed a DSC. I also use a BMC air filter ($200.00) but IMO the factory filter is fine so don't waste your money. No other mods and probably won't as I'm thinking it may be time to move-on to something else so I want to keep it stock.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:29 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rgp123
Newish owner, just purchased wheels and tires. What are some inexpensive upgrades? Tunes/power gains? Any great suggestions out there? Fast/amazing car already but I’m curious to see what you all think. Cheers 👊
A post like yours is so common everywhere on car forums... I am alllmost at the get off my lawn level....

-What is your budget?
-What is important to you? Speed, comfort, handling, etc?
-How often will the car be driven?
-Auto or manual?
Old 02-20-2019, 05:44 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
A post like yours is so common everywhere on car forums... I am alllmost at the get off my lawn level....

-What is your budget?
-What is important to you? Speed, comfort, handling, etc?
-How often will the car be driven?
-Auto or manual?

Way to welcome a new Porsche owner after his first post. I'm sure he feels nice and welcome on Rennlist now.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Way to welcome a new Porsche owner after his first post. I'm sure he feels nice and welcome on Rennlist now.
Then maybe a mod should sticky the most common mods, or a forum curated stage x,z,y thread. Because just blankly asking to me says there has been no effort to search first. The question is very open ended as the amount of 'cheap mods' are endless for any car. Call me a jerk for wanting to see more effort, but it does not mean I wont help.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:38 PM
rgp123
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks shatter, it’s ok I get it. I know your personality type. I have done plenty of research and this is actually my second Porsche but first turbo. I am merely a student asking advice of the more experienced professors of the group. Please be cognizant that this is a forum to share ideas, thoughts and to collaborate. I was simply asking for ideas, not for a snarky attitude. Some things are better left unsaid. Ya know what I’m saying?

To the others I really do appreciate your time in making recommendations. They read out like a great story and add a ton of value for someone that’s starting to seriously look into building a better car. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

lower it
push the wheels out
exhaust
Cobb tune.

done.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:20 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Turbo S Floor Mats and for the trunk too, black on black if you have a black interior. Subtle and special. They just say Turbo S, from Lloyds. Not a great pic but you get the idea.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Thanks shatter, it’s ok I get it. I know your personality type. I have done plenty of research and this is actually my second Porsche but first turbo. I am merely a student asking advice of the more experienced professors of the group. Please be cognizant that this is a forum to share ideas, thoughts and to collaborate. I was simply asking for ideas, not for a snarky attitude. Some things are better left unsaid. Ya know what I’m saying?

To the others I really do appreciate your time in making recommendations. They read out like a great story and add a ton of value for someone that’s starting to seriously look into building a better car. Thanks!
If you have done research you have not represented it at all. So thats hard to believe. You did not answer my questions, so we still don't know what you want other than to be cheap... This is a forum to share ideas, ask less open ended questions, or answer mine and maybe we can collaborate. Or should I assume your personality trait(s)?
Old 02-21-2019, 12:21 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Agreed!!

Then maybe a mod should sticky the most common mods, or a forum curated stage x,z,y thread. Because just blankly asking to me says there has been no effort to search first. The question is very open ended as the amount of 'cheap mods' are endless for any car. Call me a jerk for wanting to see more effort, but it does not mean I wont help.

Dude!! Sometimes people just want to get involved and type the OWN thread... Let members know they're here and maybe make some friends.

Fact is, you went Out of your way to not only Read his thread but type a reply that wasn't nice or warm in any way. You simply could have just Moved Along and kept your negative opinion to yourself.

If you have a problem with the site and the moderators not making a "Sticky", take it up with them. Not this new Porsche owner that is excited to get involved.

SMDH
Old 02-21-2019, 12:23 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

If you have done research you have not represented it at all. So thats hard to believe. You did not answer my questions, so we still don't know what you want other than to be cheap... This is a forum to share ideas, ask less open ended questions, or answer mine and maybe we can collaborate. Or should I assume your personality trait(s)?

ARE YOU STILL HERE????
Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Turbo S Floor Mats and for the trunk too, black on black if you have a black interior. Subtle and special. They just say Turbo S, from Lloyds. Not a great pic but you get the idea.

The colour difference there would frustrate the hell out of me.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Anyway....OP... I have a 2012 TTS and have the basics and I LOVE IT!!!

Like Bogey said above. I LOVE my Europipe Exhaust. I also bought a TPC DSC and LOVE what it did for the ride.

I bought a used Cobb AP and for now am running just the OTS (off the shelf) Stage 2 - 92 octane tune it came with. Nice bump in power. But I intend on either using the same tuner here in ATL that Bogey used or one of the popular remote tuners for a Custom tune to get as much as the car has to offer in a safe custom tune. 575WHP and 590 WTQ seems to be close to where that is for safe WHP with just tune / exhaust.

Here are a few vids I'm made showing the Exhaust note and my DSC install vid showing how easy it is to install on your own. Just order it and within 10 mins., you're driving a much nicer ride.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:42 AM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Agreed!!

Dude!! Sometimes people just want to get involved and type the OWN thread... Let members know they're here and maybe make some friends.

Fact is, you went Out of your way to not only Read his thread but type a reply that wasn't nice or warm in any way. You simply could have just Moved Along and kept your negative opinion to yourself.

If you have a problem with the site and the moderators not making a "Sticky", take it up with them. Not this new Porsche owner that is excited to get involved.

SMDH
Nice to see you just want to be mad and not read things. It is not a negative opinion to have in that when people ask for help or advise they should do some research first. Next I do not have a problem with the site and the moderators. Stop projecting your own issues on that. I stated what I did as a recommendation / idea re: a sticky so that people asking the question as the OP did could be better served and have a central location to find the general answers they are looking for. Starting your own thread for the sake of having a new fresh thread for the same question is silly. In the mean time when the OP answers beyond "cheap mods" we can give him more than the standard:
-lower
-exhaust
-tune

That is incredibly generic because the same can be said for any car, and in my opinion is not helpful especially to someone who might have done their own research.

Quick Reply: 997.2 TTS Upgrade Suggestions?