125,000 mile "tune up"

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts
Default 125,000 mile "tune up"

Haven't even had a chance to get a good look at the car. Will get it on the lift today.

Decided to start collecting parts...
Here's what I ordered today:
10 ! Bosch spark plugs (10 were cheaper than 6)
6 Delphi coils
Contitech belt drive component kit
Gates water pump
Remy rebuilt alternator
Rein thermostat (includes housing and gasket)
2 Rein engine mounts
2 Mahle oil filters
Hastings air filter
Mahle fuel filter
6 liters of Liqui Moly 75W-90 gear lube
10 liters Liqui Moly 5W-40 engine oil
3 gallons of Zerex G-40 anti-freeze

Car is a 2001 C4
What am I missing?

Expect the list to grow as I get a good look at suspension, brakes, drivetrain and steering.
Have an ignition switch to install.
Had no front parking lights last night - possible ignition switch issue?
Don't know if the cruise is working. Got the little green indicator to come on - but couldn't get it to engage. Any ideas? Don't have an owner's manual yet. May not have found the secret, though I pushed, pulled and pressed pretty much every possible way.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 01-25-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I suck at the spelling
Old 01-25-2019, 03:20 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw your post in OT that you recently purchased a 996C4. Your list above sounds like a great place to start. Have you driven the C4 yet? Are you going to rally it? Lots of good info on this site.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barn996
Saw your post in OT that you recently purchased a 996C4. Your list above sounds like a great place to start. Have you driven the C4 yet? Are you going to rally it? Lots of good info on this site.
I drove it home last night, in a snow storm. A little over 100 miles. Started my list of stuff to fix - much of it is included above. Other items need investigation and diagnosis. Nothing major, as far as I can tell.

Have not decided on rallying it. High likelihood of TSD rallies, definitely not stage rally. May use it occasionally for RallyCross. Will want to increase ride height a little first, and find suitable wheels and tires. I think I can fit 17" wheels - don't even know for sure. If I could fit 16s, it would be very cool.

I'm counting on the good information.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 01-30-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:50 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

That is exactly what I did when I bought the car last May (filters, liquids and plugs)

I have only pending the water pump and serpentine belt.

Are you going to flush all the coolant or only the amount needed for the water pump replacement?

I am going to do water pump next month, and even the coolant is supposed to be "lifetime" and my indy also indicates going only for the amount needed, I will request to flush everything.

I have also read about people recomending to change MAF sensor and Lambda sensors (pre and post) but I am not going to do it by now, as the car runs quite smooth and has only 50K Miles

ps: the brand is Liqui Moly
Old 01-25-2019, 04:41 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

17" wheels were standard on the C2(at least MY99), don't know about the C4.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by parris
The water pump is not a bad job if you can move the engine mount plate enough to get the water pump out.
I had to remove my cats in order to remove the plate so I could get the pump out.
That added a lot of extra time to the job.
The belt is simple.
Are you going to flush all the coolant or only the amount needed for the water pump replacement?
I am going to do water pump next month, and even the coolant is supposed to be "lifetime" and my indy also indicates going only for the amount needed, I will request to flush everything.
I bought 2 gallons of Porsche concentrate.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...05-75-M100.htm
I mixed them with RO water in a 5 gallon bucket and used an OEMtools Coolant refill kit that uses vacuum similar to an UView Airlift but cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24444-Cooling-System-Refiller/dp/B01BW39HJS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548449742&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24444-Cooling-System-Refiller/dp/B01BW39HJS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548449742&sr=8-3
I used all of the 4 gallons.
Luckily I had an extra pre-mixed 1 gallon of Porsche coolant from when I installed my center radiator.
At $40 a gallon, it's a bit expensive to replace all the coolant, but when compared to replacing an engine due to cooling issues, it's chump change!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:00 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I typically drive a car about 3-6 months before fully investing into a overhaul tuneup. I need to make sure that the car is in good shape before investing into it. I do it incrementally, simple things, then grow my list over time as the car earns my trust.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:09 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

If your replacing the tstat and pump, I’d def add to the list:

-coolant flush (and replacement)
-check rubber hoses and replace as needed
-new coolant tank and cap

nothing more frustrating than replacing cooling parts and then have other bits fail and having to start over (draining coolant, fill, bleed, etc).
Old 01-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Most Gates water pumps have a metal impeller. Plastic/composite is suggested. The clearance between the pump and the block is minimal. If the metal impeller water pump fails the impeller can grind a hole thru the block. The plastic impeller versions will break up instead of damaging the engine. The factory pump is a plastic impeller. Just a thought.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:36 PM
GH996
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe the MY99 C4 came standard with 17” wheels as well. Looked at one before buying my current car.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Surprised no mention of the low temp t-stat and spin-on oil filter adapter.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:25 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

...and DT40 engine oil.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Old 01-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by parris
That is exactly what I did when I bought the car last May (filters, liquids and plugs)
I have also read about people recomending to change MAF sensor and Lambda sensors (pre and post) but I am not going to do it by now, as the car runs quite smooth and has only 50K Miles
ps: the brand is Liqui Moly
Yes - I knew that.

No, really.

Full flush. Lifetime should be fine if you check it periodically. I'm just going to start fresh. 50/50 Zerex and distilled water.
I've seen mention of the MAF sensor, will keep it in mind. Right - O2 sensors are a good idea. I got the CEL after getting home. Might be a two-trip MIL. Usually an air/fuel code. Will check codes as I go.

Originally Posted by professorman
I typically drive a car about 3-6 months before fully investing into a overhaul tuneup. I need to make sure that the car is in good shape before investing into it. I do it incrementally, simple things, then grow my list over time as the car earns my trust.
Good plan. I'm not far off from yours. I am confident the car is in good enough shape to spend a bit on the basics. There will be more things that will crop up. Already found a couple of little issues.

Originally Posted by jllphan
If your replacing the tstat and pump, I’d def add to the list:
-coolant flush (and replacement)
-check rubber hoses and replace as needed
-new coolant tank and cap
nothing more frustrating than replacing cooling parts and then have other bits fail and having to start over (draining coolant, fill, bleed, etc).

Good advice all around. Don't have the tank and cap on the list yet. I was waiting to see who would bring up hoses. That is in the plan. I am just now aware of how many hoses there are. Have the car on the lift, as I type.

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Most Gates water pumps have a metal impeller. Plastic/composite is suggested. The clearance between the pump and the block is minimal. If the metal impeller water pump fails the impeller can grind a hole thru the block. The plastic impeller versions will break up instead of damaging the engine. The factory pump is a plastic impeller. Just a thought.
Yes, I believe this one has a metal impeller, as well. I have seen the recommendation to go with composite. Fully onboard with the reasoning. Trying to keep costs in check, made the choice.

Originally Posted by GH996
I believe the MY99 C4 came standard with 17” wheels as well. Looked at one before buying my current car.

Yeah, I think the car came originally with 17s. I have a fair amount of optimism I can fit 16" wheels on this car. As long as the calipers don't extend outward (axially) more than the spokes of my D90s, I may be in luck.

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Surprised no mention of the low temp t-stat and spin-on oil filter adapter.

Saw that stuff. I like both. Maybe upgrades after the car gets the Team Harco seal of approval.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 01-30-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:41 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Yes, I believe this one has a metal impeller, as well. I have seen the recommendation to go with composite. Fully onboard with the reasoning. Trying to keep costs in check, made the choice.
just my thought and I'm sure others will agree. Porsche's are not a car to be cutting corner with cheap parts. Most of the time if you use cheap parts like alternators, starters, MAF, and water pumps it will cost you tons more in the long run than putting the right part the first time. Factory parts or using the same OEM manufacturer is typically not much more than the cheap aftermarket. I really don't understand the logic of a cheaper metal impeller water pump to save money when the potential damage/risk is tens of thousand of dollars. Not to mention you won't know there is a problem untill its too late

I say this respectfully, cheap parts are fine on a honda or chevrolet. European cars are much more **** about parts put on them. But too each his own.

Quick Reply: 125,000 mile "tune up"