Sponsored by:

Audi ED Cancelled - Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts
Default Audi ED Cancelled - Porsche?

Just saw a blog post that Audi ED is permanently cancelled.

Any rumours about Porsche?

I haven't done one but would like to. Seems like a shame.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/04/...livery-option/

Last edited by SToronto; 01-22-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I would not have ordered my last two new Porsches, if not for the opportunity to do ED...
Old 01-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Oh no, changes were bound to happen with the recent corporate shake up.

I hope this trend does not continue on to Porsche where driving is center to their goals and the trips posted on RennList are always dream inspiring drives. Removing that just takes away something special to do with your car!

I look forward to Euro trip reports like OrthoJoe's and Sam Pellegrino's (although Sam's was a bit light on photos...jab jab)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Most likely because they did a **** poor job of marketing (did anybody even know they offered it?), and because their best selling model (Q5) is now made in Mexico.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:03 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

We did an Audi ED on a Q5 back in 2010. 5% off and the ED was free. I doubt Porsche's program would go away since they basically make the dealer pay for it or pass it on to the customer.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Most likely because they did a **** poor job of marketing (did anybody even know they offered it?), and because their best selling model (Q5) is now made in Mexico.
Part of that **** poor job lies with the dealers - and is pretty deliberate! All dealers prefer to sell you a car on the lot than go through the paperwork and logistics which from where they stand is just headache. So ED for many ppl has been a very well kept secret.

Sad to see that program shut - the take rates were admittedly lower than say what BMW offers (and BMW discount used to be 7%, has come down since). Having done ED, it is definitely an experience of a lifetime and a bucket list item (coupled with 2 F1 races, Nurburgring experience, 5 countries visited, etc.) The ED discount (N/A on Porsches) on the car essentially pays for the trip itself (and for example BMW used to have a BOGOF airfare with Lufthansa).

Would have done ED with my GT3 but sadly PTS is what ended up screwing it all up (production was delayed for 8 months with no final production date till pretty much ED logistics were impossible to finalize). Seems many PNA dealers are pushing the cost to the customer (~3K).

The dealer 'incentive' (once again - N/A for Porsche) is that often ED cars would not count towards existing allocations, allowing dealers to put some of their clients into desired cars (e.g. ///Ms / RSs) while still having existing # of allocations in tact.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:13 PM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Is it possible because of emissions?
Different EU regs. vs ROW
Old 01-22-2019, 05:34 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

I might do a MD if provided a secure location.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:36 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Here's an article to read up on it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/04/...livery-option/
Old 01-22-2019, 05:38 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default MEXICAN DELIVERY

Oh my, Pepsi just came out my nose onto keyboard
Hilarious!
Originally Posted by SToronto
I might do a MD if provided a secure location.

Audi N Scottsdale gave 7% off MSRP on all ED when we looked into it 4 years ago

Last edited by Perimeter; 01-22-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
The dealer 'incentive' (once again - N/A for Porsche) is that often ED cars would not count towards existing allocations, allowing dealers to put some of their clients into desired cars (e.g. ///Ms / RSs) while still having existing # of allocations in tact.
Actually Porsche dealers do get another allocation (supposedly to cover the ED charge back - but we all know that some stealers want to double dip and try to hide that fact from buyers) from which to profit but it may not be the exact model. In the case of a GT car they may get a std model.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

My RS was built in December and will be picked up March 29 for April May and June in Europe.

Last I looked, Porsche now is limited to 3 months, Mercedes still 6-12 months and BMW reduced it to 5 months maximum.
In this economy they don't need to, but I guess it comes back when they want US dollars again in recession markets.

I've only bought new cars because ED, if not possibly, Ill buy used.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Actually Porsche dealers do get another allocation (supposedly to cover the ED charge back - but we all know that some stealers want to double dip and try to hide that fact from buyers) from which to profit but it may not be the exact model. In the case of a GT car they may get a std model.
Yup, I meant it for the GT - they won't get like-for-like (i.e. a GT ED counts towards/against their existing GT allocation, but they do get a chance at a non-GT model as 'comp')

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Last I looked, Porsche now is limited to 3 months, Mercedes still 6-12 months and BMW reduced it to 5 months maximum. In this economy they don't need to, but I guess it comes back when they want US dollars again in recession markets.
There have been some cases where dealers have been (or so they claim) hurt by cars staying longer than the max (e.g. >12 mos). Allegedly, the car is considered sold in Germany after a certain timeframe, and as such VAT is due. Which is why PNA charges you that amount (held in escrow) and returned to you upon car hitting our shores. BMW doesn't impose that (which is why I've heard of some dealers complain in some of those instances where allegedly they have had to foot the VAT bill).
Old 01-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Part of that **** poor job lies with the dealers - and is pretty deliberate! All dealers prefer to sell you a car on the lot than go through the paperwork and logistics which from where they stand is just headache. So ED for many ppl has been a very well kept secret.
I was referring to the website. Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen anything about ED on Audi's website; Porsche, MB, BMW, Volvo, etc. all have ED information.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I was referring to the website. Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen anything about ED on Audi's website; Porsche, MB, BMW, Volvo, etc. all have ED information.
Audi did have info on the website and was one of better packages (Benz has best terms)

Quick Reply: Audi ED Cancelled - Porsche?