Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Anyone else struggling with the Turbo S engine noise?

Old 01-22-2019, 03:25 AM
catpat8000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else struggling with the Turbo S engine noise?

I went on my first long trip today with my 2019 Turbo S and I am pretty unhappy at the end of the day. We all know the Turbo engine sounds like butt but I wasn't prepared for the loud boomy, droning noises it makes between 60-70mph and especially when accelerating very gradually, which is what driving on the highway in traffic usually entails. It's very loud and after a while, really exhausting.

It thoroughly wore me out after several hours, not to mention supplying a doosy of a headache. And it gets worse in Sport mode.

I bought this car to take a lot of highway trips and after today I am not sure I can stand driving it for more than a couple hours at a stretch. Very unhappy this evening. Really Porsche?
Old 01-22-2019, 01:26 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Never noticed it, turn up the Burmeister
Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 729 Posts

Engine or road noise? I have the Europipe exhaust and I do not find the car has any drone at all.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:48 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Engine or road noise? I have the Europipe exhaust and I do not find the car has any drone at all.
While the car is loud and there is a ton of road noise, which by itself is surprising for a GT car this expensive, it is the boomy and droning horrible engine note while cruising around 2000 rpm which irritates me the most.
Clearly it is the engine note because it seems to instantly get louder if you switch from Normal to Sport.

Sure you could turn up the sound system but that's a dumb reply - the car shouldn't have a flaw this annoying. If others don't have it, maybe it is a 2019 thing?

It's super unfortunate because the car's performance is breathtaking but it's quite unpleasant to drive on longer trips. My passenger even complained yesterday about merely having to ride in the car for several hours.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:54 PM
TTSPete
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Must be a 2019 thing then, my 2017 doesn't drone. Also, as the car breaks in with more miles the exhaust tone changes. Maybe you need more miles.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:02 PM
rbrotmd
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

2017 TTS Cabriolet here, so the engine is even louder, but drone? No drone at all. I put on the Europipe exhaust because the engine wasn't loud enough! I often turn off the Burmester so I can enjoy the beautiful engine sound. Are you really a high performance car enthusiast? Perhaps a Rolls or Maybach would be more to your liking.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:17 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No drone on my 2014 TTS. Like was said above, loud road noise though.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by catpat8000
I went on my first long trip today with my 2019 Turbo S and I am pretty unhappy at the end of the day. We all know the Turbo engine sounds like butt but I wasn't prepared for the loud boomy, droning noises it makes between 60-70mph and especially when accelerating very gradually, which is what driving on the highway in traffic usually entails. It's very loud and after a while, really exhausting.

It thoroughly wore me out after several hours, not to mention supplying a doosy of a headache. And it gets worse in Sport mode.

I bought this car to take a lot of highway trips and after today I am not sure I can stand driving it for more than a couple hours at a stretch. Very unhappy this evening. Really Porsche?
I have a 997.2 TTS, so different car, but before you get too discouraged, the tires and road surface really have an affect. There are some rough chip seal surfaces where my car is quite loud. Also, the car came with Pirelli PZero tires, but I changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and they are quieter. In particular, the Pirelli's make a sound kind of like a basketball being bounced when hitting even small seams in the road; the Michelin's do not make that sound.

My wife and I took the car on a week plus road trip through the southern Utah desert and we were both really pleased with the car. Both of us thought it was really the perfect road trip car. The only time we discussed the noise was when we were also discussing the speed
Old 01-22-2019, 02:31 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by rbrotmd
2017 TTS Cabriolet here, so the engine is even louder, but drone? No drone at all. I put on the Europipe exhaust because the engine wasn't loud enough! I often turn off the Burmester so I can enjoy the beautiful engine sound. Are you really a high performance car enthusiast? Perhaps a Rolls or Maybach would be more to your liking.
Well that's a pretty condescending and unhelpful reply, thank you.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Road noise for sure but nothing that would case me to not be happy driving it. I've had a 2014 TT, 14TTS and 17TTS and drive them year round. It's not a quiet car but I don't find it exhausting at all. I drive a lot and the TTS is always the go to. Maybe give it some time. What are your tire pressures?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:30 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Could the piped in engine noise be your problem? If so, you could block it off.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:37 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Could the piped in engine noise be your problem? If so, you could block it off.
And if you are not familiar with "piped in engine noise", here is a reference and how to reduce the noise: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...poser-mod.html
Old 01-22-2019, 03:49 PM
catpat8000
Advanced

Originally Posted by paulfdunn
And if you are not familiar with "piped in engine noise", here is a reference and how to reduce the noise: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...poser-mod.html
This is an excellent suggestion, thank you! I will try this out and report back.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:19 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

My all stock 17 TTS has the "drone sound" in all modes and louder in the sport modes while cruising.......also my Pirellis POs are extremely noisy and can't wait to go Michelin P4S.........perhaps plugging the symposer tube per the thread mentioned will help.......

Keep us posted if you take that step........

I would think the 17-19 cars would all have the same drone and some of us are probably more sensitive to it than others.......

Frankly I was surprised at the drone sound..........I did just turn up the radio and that at least makes it bearable..............

Last edited by abiazis; 01-23-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

as others have said, maybe disconnect the piped in sound and try new tires

for me, these cars are definitely noisy, I prefer the S class for highway road trips

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else struggling with the Turbo S engine noise?