Sponsored by:

Porsche Connect and Car Connect Plus 2018+

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 01:03 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Porsche Connect and Car Connect Plus 2018+

I am going to keep this short and simple.

Plenty of info on the forum about it. Many of us have been confused about it. This is to simplify for those who just want to get this setup quickly.
I have not picked up my car yet but I set them up already. All you need is a VIN number, you don’t need sim id etc. for 2018+ cars.

For Car Connect:
You can sign up for the service here: https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/login.do

Just follow instructions, you will get a code. Send it to your dealer or take it with you, they will use the code to activate it. After which you can add services etc. pretty simple. Dealer needs to put the code in the car. So do it at pickup or visit later.

For Car Connect Plus:
You can sign up for the service here: https://myvehicle.att.com/#/porsche/learn-page?country=US&language=en

Just follow instructions, use your VIN number, you get 3 month free. You can choose a plan as you wish. I already added it to my att shared account.

that is it. No need to get confused about setup or call att or porsche.

this was a public service post to make it easy for fellow members.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:09 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I looked at car connect and did not see any value and did not set it up. What do you like about car connect?

plus - does it only add WiFi hot spot? What uses the data connect? You phone already has the same data connection so it does not make sense to connect your phone to the WiFi. What uses the data connection?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:20 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

^agreed. I don't get it....
Old 01-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
I looked at car connect and did not see any value and did not set it up. What do you like about car connect?

plus - does it only add WiFi hot spot? What uses the data connect? You phone already has the same data connection so it does not make sense to connect your phone to the WiFi. What uses the data connection?
car connect is free for a year, you can view and control certain functions via an app. Since its free no harm in trying. For additional cost you can add vehicle tracking and some other functions. You also get climate control. If interested you can look up what you get.
in my MBs, I got 5 years free. The functions I use most is vehicle tracking, in case I want to know where my wife is shopping. Or remote start. Unfortunately remote start is not available in 991.2

connect plus, you get live traffic and google maps plus hot spots. I only care about live traffic and google maps only.

Originally Posted by 911boy
^agreed. I don't get it....
don’t have to

this was meant to help those who are interested in getting it. Not to start another thread on pros and cons, plenty already on the forum
Old 01-18-2019, 12:03 PM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks, Cyberbug for the simple clarification and links. I am still debating if I want either of them or just stick with CarPlay only.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:12 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I also think your phone and service need to have "hotspot" enabled as well, anybody verify this?
ATT charges extra to be hotspot enabled.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:05 PM
Stanley Park
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
Out of curiosity, I activated Porsche Connect on my ’17 C4S last week. Using the car’s wireless connection I was able to download and install an update to the PCM’s North America navigation database (640 MB). This was a pleasant and unexpected benefit as I had previously asked my dealer if any updates were available for the PCM in my car and was always told that there were none.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:34 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks Cyberbug. You will find that about 30 seconds after setting everything up, you'll stop using it .... it's useless, provides no value and is a waste of time and money, especially when you leverage Apple CarPlay.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty sure you need some form of car connect subscription if you have to use vehicle tracking. Which my insurance company demands.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:59 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Agree completely waste of time. Seems like a afterthought.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by T3X4S
Thanks, Cyberbug for the simple clarification and links. I am still debating if I want either of them or just stick with CarPlay only.
I set it up in my C2S that I bought last January. Just traded that on a GT3 and I didn't bother to set it up this time. After a year of not using it, I figured why bother.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:18 PM
craig.martell
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two things about the Connect / Car Connect bundle that are valuable to me, but I am still not sure they are worth the cost:

1. The ability to click on a calendar event and have it pass the address to navigation. I know I can do this on my phone, but in car navigation works even when there is no cell service (unlike Carplay);
2. Automatic crash notification if the airbags go off. This one is probably invaluable, since this is my daily driver and my kids often ride with me.

Craig
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, Cyberbug! Was planning on looking into all of it this weekend, so this was a great start. Wish I knew about the dealer part because I was there today. Oh well -- road trip!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:00 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

I think it is bizarre that I can lock the car form my phone...but I can't unlock it. I see more need to unlock. Am I missing something?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
I also think your phone and service need to have "hotspot" enabled as well, anybody verify this?
ATT charges extra to be hotspot enabled.
That is built into the special AT&T/Porsche plan that uses the phone number assigned to your car (although it is a data-only number). It does not require anything special on your personal phone.

Quick Reply: Porsche Connect and Car Connect Plus 2018+