Sponsored by:

This could be the best kept secret for extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts
Default This could be the best kept secret for extended warranty

I'm starting this new thread as I don't want anyone to possibly miss out from what appears to be one of the "best" extended warranty deals I've seen. A thread posted yesterday (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1124...-warranty.html ) had some brief details on Geico's offering of mechanical breakdown coverage or MBI. I read it and brushed it off as a gimmick until I decided to both read more on this topic as well as speak to several Geico representatives. I typically first look at the list of exclusions and if still interested, I'll continue to read on. Let me begin to provide some basic details.

MBI warranty term: 7 years or 100,000 miles
One must purchase a Geico Auto Insurance Policy on a vehicle that is less than 15 months old with under 15,000 miles and maintain both the auto insurance policy along with the MBI endorsement throughout, no lapse in coverage is allowed should one wish to maintain this endorsement.
(you'll be paying for the MBI coverage during the remaining factory warranty period without there being a need to ever file until the expiration of the 4 year/50K Porsche warranty)

There's a $250 deductible for each covered claim and the vehicle can be repaired at any repair facility, including a Porsche Dealer. All claims must be approved by Geico, typically within 24 hours.

Although there's no fixed premium amount for the 7 years, my research has shown premiums for this endorsement to be approximately $150-200 annually.. If a vehicle is eligible for Geico Auto Insurance then It would be eligible for this warranty. One can opt out of this at anytime and it's not transferrable.
*MBI Exclusions
Exclusions to this policy include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes, and tires. Also, breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, corrosion, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance coverage is in excess of coverage provided by your manufacturer's warranty. Read the policy amendment for the complete terms and conditions of this coverage.

I don't currently insure with Geico and can wait until next year before making a decision. This appears to be so much more than just a basic powertrain warranty as well as providing coverage for items that are not related to mechanical breakdown. I'm interested in others providing some feedback on this.

Last edited by SH2; 01-15-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:26 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

CCDD great investigation work , is thera a Geico forum to further confirm this .
Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance...own-insurance/
Old 01-15-2019, 01:09 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

If Geico was the last insurance company on the earth, I would self-insure or by a bike.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:53 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
If Geico was the last insurance company on the earth, I would self-insure or by a bike.
+100
Old 01-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Old 01-15-2019, 02:13 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

I’ll Bite. Why?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I insured with them for 5+ years and 3 claims and never had an issue with them. Just swapped due to a couple of rate hikes following one said claim. May switch back in the future.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:47 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V999
I’ll Bite. Why?
They provide, free of charge, speed detection equipment to a vast set of local and state police forces. Those police forces then use that equipment to write tickets that result in increased insurance premiums. In any other context this would be called racketeering. In the context of red light cameras it is called racketeering.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:25 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

They provide, free of charge, speed detection equipment to a vast set of local and state police forces. Those police forces then use that equipment to write tickets that result in increased insurance premiums. In any other context this would be called racketeering. In the context of red light cameras it is called racketeering.
Interesting. Can you provide a source for this insight?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:13 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do they pay Porsche's rates? My SA said with the exception of Fidelity, other companies use their own book to determine the time allowed for repairs and if they come up short, you have to pay the difference.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:30 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by puppycat
Interesting. Can you provide a source for this insight?
Which? That Geico funds your speeding tickets or that red light cameras are a scam?

Here’s a start:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...here-be-light/

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...d-legislature/

Geico’s funding of speed enforcement is not something they run ads about but it has been well-reported since last century by Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Autoweek Etc. Back in the days when news was inked on dead trees. Sadly there’s no efficient way to search dead trees and that history hasn’t been turned into bits.

Same goes for red light cameras. Lots and lots of news over the years. Google “racketeering and red light cameras” and there’s plenty of reading.

https://voiceofoc.org/2014/03/santa-...mera-contract/
Old 01-15-2019, 05:43 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the Geico MBI coverage on my 2015 C2. Haven't had to use it (yet) but it is inexpensive risk mitigation against things such as PDK failure.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:06 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

I've heard that same Geico story from colleagues, so it's not just you - it is making the rounds among car enthusiasts.... one of my coworkers did it for his newish S3 before he had too many mailes. Downsides as mentioned are it's essentially useless for 4 years or faster if you drive a lot, and if you sell the car you paid for nothing (you may want to keep it but you never know), and you have to be with Geico (I'll let you debate that one, I hate them too).
I think there is no free lunch, they'll probably change the coverage 4 y down the road when you need a new motor, but who knows, sounds attractive ;-)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

not surprised they fund the laser gun co. but saying that they use the in car detector and catches u speeding and give you a ticket is not true.

Quick Reply: This could be the best kept secret for extended warranty