Sponsored by:

Updating 996 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Updating 996 headlights

A few weeks ago I saw a video about using a magnet and microfibre with metal to clean inside of headlight. Well, I screwed up the chrome in the headlight. Expensive lesson learned.

I found a guy on kijiji (like craigslist) selling 996 parts. I asked if he had a headlight. He didn’t but mentioned that he can get the headlight refinished in whatever way I want. He sends me a pic of an example:

Although 996.1, I was impressed. I always liked what was done in another thread here on rennlist with blackening the headlights. I didn’t have the ***** to open the headlights on my own to do this. So, when these guys reached out, I thought right away that maybe this accident could be a good thing. Now, I am in Canada. Finding people that do this type of stuff is always problematic.

i popped the headlights out and drove them over. Only 20 minutes away.

Couple days later, he sent me pics of the light taken apart

then of the dechroming

We had a discussion around the high beam and signal reflectors. His preference was all black. The look I was going for was to have it look in such a way people would wonder if it was an option. I recommended keeping the reflectors both chrome. He said he would paint out the light and leave the reflectors chrome and mock it up before finishing and sealing the headlights.

Here is the mock up:

I cannot express how happy I am with this job. Waiting for the paint to fully off gas before sealing the lights.

I will post once they are on the car!

LMK if you have any questions.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Brian996
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That is cool.
I wouldn’t hesitate to do this myself.
I think this is a project I will research.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Michael Sjerven
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks awesome man! I’m in Vancouver - can you get me the contact for your guy who does this work? I’d love to get my headlights redone as well. On another note, I’m hoping porsche or another company will manufacture a new black headlight option for 996 owners.. I think there’s a ton of demand since a lot of us need new headlights. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:14 PM
scanderson76
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks pretty badass man! If i may, what did it set you back for the pair?
Old 01-06-2019, 11:31 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Don’t know cost yet. I had the headlights. They are the ones on my 45000 mile car. With respect to what the paint is going to cost, I don’t know yet.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
A few weeks ago I saw a video about using a magnet and microfibre with metal to clean inside of headlight. Well, I screwed up the chrome in the headlight. Expensive lesson learned.

I found a guy on kijiji (like craigslist) selling 996 parts. I asked if he had a headlight. He didn’t but mentioned that he can get the headlight refinished in whatever way I want. He sends me a pic of an example:

Although 996.1, I was impressed. I always liked what was done in another thread here on rennlist with blackening the headlights. I didn’t have the ***** to open the headlights on my own to do this. So, when these guys reached out, I thought right away that maybe this accident could be a good thing. Now, I am in Canada. Finding people that do this type of stuff is always problematic.

i popped the headlights out and drove them over. Only 20 minutes away.

Couple days later, he sent me pics of the light taken apart

then of the dechroming

We had a discussion around the high beam and signal reflectors. His preference was all black. The look I was going for was to have it look in such a way people would wonder if it was an option. I recommended keeping the reflectors both chrome. He said he would paint out the light and leave the reflectors chrome and mock it up before finishing and sealing the headlights.

Here is the mock up:

I cannot express how happy I am with this job. Waiting for the paint to fully off gas before sealing the lights.

I will post once they are on the car!

LMK if you have any questions.
This is some of the best headlight "mod" work I've seen. I'm not sold on many of the aftermarket LED lights on eBay. But this looks very promising. Kind of reminds me of the factory 991 smoked headlights. I saw a 991 at a recent cars and coffee event and the lights looks similar. I'm looking forward to seeing these on a car. They'll look really nice on the darker painted cars.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Just what a dark 996 needs. I've wanted to do this from day one!
Old 01-07-2019, 01:15 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

That's a really interesting concept. I'd like to see different mockups with different parts blacked out, like maybe to leave the oval chrome and black out everything else to accentuate the round part of the lights. If feel like with the entire thing blacked out it's almost too much darkness.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:33 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

That is for me, the best option for those willing to have the "round lights" look

In the picture with the white plastic, if you paint only the glossy surface around the holes in the same color of the car, you will have the best approach ever seen to that round look, but without those (for me) uggly covers.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:05 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by parris
That is for me, the best option for those willing to have the "round lights" look

In the picture with the white plastic, if you paint only the glossy surface around the holes in the same color of the car, you will have the best approach ever seen to that round look, but without those (for me) uggly covers.
What I was thinking exactly. Would be really cool to see how that would look.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Teekster
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Amazing mod!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Here is the final mock-up awaiting paint curing and off gassing before the lights being sealed.

The following 2 users liked this post by steam_mill:
EVOMMM (05-02-2023), Johnsie05 (11-17-2020)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:30 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by parris

This really had nothing to do to achieve the round headlight look. I felt that the lights with chrome and gray paint were just too bright looking, especially on a black car. The stock tail lights are not a bright red but a more subdued tone. I think the darkened headlights are simply better looking.

If I wanted a 997, I would have bought a 997. I think the plainer interior of the 996 and the fact that it comes with a spare tire were the reasons I chose a 996. A 997 was less than 10% more.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:37 PM
R324U
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks good, there are not really any options for the 996.2 lights like there are for the 996.1. Wonder why that is?
Old 01-07-2019, 10:57 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R324U
Looks good, there are not really any options for the 996.2 lights like there are for the 996.1. Wonder why that is?
996.1 headlights work on 996 and boxster. I would guess that there are at least 3x 996.1 and Boxsters than there are 996.2.

Quick Reply: Updating 996 headlights