Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use summer tires in NC winters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 02:01 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone use summer tires in NC winters?

My 2017 C4S P Zeros are nearing their end and wont make it to spring. I'd be driving on badly worn summer tires by mid winter at this point. Add a little water and its probably the worst situation so I'm debating on getting new summer tires or a winter set to probably last me 5-6 years.

Summer tires are for use in 40-45F+ temperatures before traction degrades. I live in NC and winter is typically short and mild. There are few snow/ice storms and roads get plowed and salted quickly. We only get significant freezing temperatures from mid December till mid March. The 'low' temperatures are normally around 30F (rarely 20F) at 6am and temperatures climb through the day (up to +20F by 12pm). Sometimes there is an arctic blast and its consistently 20-30F for a week+, but that's rare. I end up driving early morning a lot so the low temperature applies to me.

I've driven on summer tires many winters, but never on snow/ice. The ride is firmer/louder, you need to be more careful putting down power (especially when wet and turns), and leave more room to stop, but they seem to handle everything fine. The tires are typically warm to the touch after driving long enough.

I also have driven on winter tires in warmer temperatures. They felt unstable, mushy, and twitchy especially when wet, trying to stop, or at high speed. Early and late winter we might get weeks where its 60F+ and I'd feel reluctant to be stuck on winter tires then. Maybe having an all season makes more sense in this area?

I'm having a hard time justifying swapping to winter tires for ~3 months. Mainly its a logistics hassle to do this. Anyone know a shop that can swap and store your other set while not in use? I know dealers offer this, but they over charge and don't (IMO) mount/balance tires as well as a specialized shop.

I looked into buying a set of winter wheels/ tires, but the cheapest I can came up with is ~5k when its all said and done. If anyone has a cheap set they don't need that works with 991.2 C4S with PCCB (need 20 inch), let me know!

There seems to be a concern that summer tires can develop (cosmetic) cracking in really cold temperatures (before 20F), even if not installed and stored. I've never actually experienced this and never heard of anyone else actually reporting this. Both Pirelli and Michelin have warnings against this though. My garage isn't heated so its impossible for me never expose summer tires to freezing temperatures (stored, installed, or another wheel set).

Prolonged cold temperature can 'harden' summer tires. I think this happens anyway as they heat cycle and by the time it matters its time to replace them as the tread is worn out anyway. Wondering if using summer tires during winter means less wear since they're harder?

Anyone have a compelling reason that someone in NC (or similar area) should not use summer tires year round?

Anyone using the new (N0 spec) Michelin PS4S tires in winter? I read many claim that they still grip fine in really cold temperatures and much improved over the old PSS, which I never had any trouble with. Maybe just me, but P Zeros are great when new and dry conditions, but they quickly wear out and really suck in wet.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:08 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in Portland OR, my SBA, when asked by me at delivery two days ago, said that I shouldn't be too concerned about driving my new Pirelli P Zeros throughout the Winter (which is similar to what you describe). Certainly should take a bit more care when you know that traction might be a bit degraded but otherwise I should have no significant issues doing so.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

I live in NC and drive summer tires year round. I do have another vehicle to drive when temps get really low, though.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:50 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

If you do not have a backup vehicle and must get to work etc.... I would say buy winters. If can stay home or have another car, not a big deal to drive on summers if you realize their limitations
Old 12-15-2018, 03:10 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Tire Rack. $4189 tire/wheel package with free shipping.

If you spent 7-10K on PCCB's you can spend $4200 on a set of wheels and tires.

Heck 4K is a bumper replacement if you smack something.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Level3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in NC as well... performance tires year round for me.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:29 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

I am in Richmond VA and we have similar weather. I have been out on summer tires when it's too cold and it is not a re-assuring feeling at times. I am approaching my 3rd winter and certainly select the days I don't drive it. I don't have a 3rd car so if it is too cold and my wife is out, I am at home. Being retired helps with stay at home flexibility.

Here is an option, one I am considering when my PZero's wear out. I have to assume a loss of performance when driving on the edge or track days, but for normal to sporty driving, I believe they will perform to most peoples expectations.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1103...a-re980as.html
Old 12-15-2018, 05:19 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Asheville NC and use summer tires year round. The few days we have snow I stay home or drive the truck. Other than snow the summer tires are fine for our temperate winter climate.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:35 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Tire Rack. $4189 tire/wheel package with free shipping.

If you spent 7-10K on PCCB's you can spend $4200 on a set of wheels and tires.

Heck 4K is a bumper replacement if you smack something.
Very well said
Old 12-15-2018, 05:40 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

I live in NC. Went to the mountains and pushed pretty hard at 40 degree temps once the tires were heated up. I was with some others in lesser car/driving ability that LOL'd at me for not keeping up but I also drive conservatively. Summer tires will be flat out unsafe in snow.... so just stay home the 2 or 3 hours a year that happens in NC. I also have another car with all seasons and the wife's AWD SUV.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:00 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I live in knoxville, tn area so probably similar winters, depending on where in NC you live. Temps stay below freezing in mornings for a week or 2 at a time. In past cars I have elected not to drive my sports car on those days. Sometimes would swap cars in middle of the day after lunch or something after temps went up. With my 911, I find myself not as happy about driving my truck. One of the ways I rationalized buying winter tires is that in the 3-4 months they are on I will not be using up tread on my summer tires. I burn through tires quickly and seem to buy a couple sets a year regardless. The winters are just one more set of tires thrown in mix and keep me safely driving all year long. Really my only new cost is mounting and balancing is the way I am looking at it. Plus the PZero Sottozeros seem to do really well at high speeds and cornering Gs. I have not pushed as hard as on summers in warm weather, but hit .9 lateral gs no issues and also hit 150mph straight line. Tires were stable in both situations and confidence inspiring. I would not have felt so confident in 20 degree temps on summer tires doing this. Also just for kicks I am hoping for a couple inches of snow to drive in on them. Just to say I did it.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:00 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

I think if you ran winter/snow tires on a C4S you would have an absolute BLAST along with peace of mind. Imagine the superior traction!
Old 12-15-2018, 11:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Excuse my ignorance but is there an all-season option? Or maybe a tire without the speed rating that someone can use all year? Not for me as I live in a part of FL that does get that cold but for most of the country I would think there has to be several alternative options.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:10 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

As said above, get the Bridgestone RE980 all-seasons. Run them when the weather is consistently below 60 for the high. I’ve been on them for three weeks or so and couldn’t be happier. Superb in the rain. Figure I will run them Nov-Mar.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Buy a beater for less than $1K and problem solved.

Quick Reply: Anyone use summer tires in NC winters?