Front Axle Lift problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 02:04 AM
bimbim
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Axle Lift problem

Hi All,

Here is my first post, please bear with me if I said something wrong.

I just got a 2017 911 Turbo S last week, only has 5000 miles on it, It came with a lot of upgraded factory options, including the Front Axle Lift option. This is my first Porsche, super excited to have this and join this forum!

After only having a car for a few days, I noticed the FAL stopped working (was working earlier when I got the car). Whenever I activate it, dashboard shows car is being raised or lowered, but physically it is not moving (there is some hydraulic noise at the front part of the car). When I drive the car, dashboard also shows "Lift System Fault, Service required". So I brought to local dealer here yesterday and was told today that the hydraulic cylinder is leaking and needs to be replaced. It is covered under warranty, but I have to wait till next week to get my car back as they don't have the part in stock. Obviously, I was pretty upset, as I paid a lot for the car, just got it for a few days and already have a problem within a week (considering it is a relatively new car too)

Questions to Rennlister:
1) Should I be worried about this FAL problem? Anyone else with this problem and can share experience? Is this common problem? Is there more to this hydraulic leak (like something else as root cause)?
2) Is this going to affect anything else on the car?
3) Is there any way I can check history of the car maintenance/repair service? Wondering if previous owner had same issue before.

Glad to have this forum to help anxious new owner like me. So thank you!
Old 12-15-2018, 03:13 AM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats and welcome. Any pics of the car? I don't have experience with porsche FAL system however I feel like the stock 991 TTS front is so high at baseline I can't imagine ever needing to lift it unless one was wanting to drive up a curb. I am guessing that once it is fixed all will be well. That is what warranties are for.

A week after I bought my car the HVAC fan went out. It was summer and hot. I was pissed and started second guessing my purchase. After it was fixed and I started driving and enjoying the car that is a distant memory. So just wait for it to get fixed then enjoy! Did they give you a loaner?
Old 12-15-2018, 06:08 AM
radar979
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

welcome and congrats…I previously owned 17TT…there was a service bulletin about leaking cylinder seals!!!! no problems since dealer fixed…no o
there. problems ….good luck
Old 12-15-2018, 10:21 AM
slink
Track Day

I have a 2017 911 Turbo S. I've put 21,000 miles on it. Use my front axle lift all the time. Never an issue.

They will fix it. You'll love the car.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:35 AM
bimbim
6th Gear

Thanks for all the replies and support! Yes, I hope they fix it once and for all. Here is pic of the car. Missed it, hope to get it back soon.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:40 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Beautiful car and welcome to the forum. I would make an appointment at the dealership and have it fixed. No big deal.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:58 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Congrats and that is why buying a pretty new CPO car is the way to go......hopefully it will all be sorted out now and trouble free motoring......i.e. I had it happen with my Cayenne with a radio speaker making a stage buzzing noise and once fixed no longer an issue..................
Old 12-15-2018, 05:38 PM
bimbim
6th Gear

Thank you guys.
The car is not CPO, as I bought it from a private owner in Florida. I got PPI done in Florida and everything checked out. It is a 2017 with 5000 miles, so it still has good period of factory warranty. Hope it is all good. Will update how it goes.

Follow up question:
When it is transported from FL to TX, the transporter company uses a ratchet wheel straps on all 4 tires to secure the car on the transport. When the driver secure it on the track, I can see it is pulling down the car.
Please see pic below. Anyone knows if this method is safe for the car? Is this going to cause any alignment or suspension issue?

Thank you!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:21 AM
Lo911TTS
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking car just like mine, enjoy your new TTS.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:35 AM
tnikolov
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

This is one fine vehicle! I wouldn't be worried to much. My FALS is something I use daily and it hasn't had any issues. In fact, I haven't had any issues with anything so far. 2 years in, zero unexpected maintenance needed. By far the best new car I've bought. Especially compared to all my BMWs.... ^^
Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

on my (early) 18 GT3 I had compressor failure and they fixed it in day, all good now.

I noticed it is an air system, it's go that woosh sound when you lower it.

On my 18 GT2 the sound is very different! For sure hydraulic system.

Did they change mid cycle??
Old 12-20-2018, 09:00 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

OK, everything is fine. They repair will be easy, will likely last the life of the car, and the car cannot be easily harmed by straps on the wheels yanking it down. Everything is going to be just fine. These cars are highly reliable and extremely robust. Good job with the purchase.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:03 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by bimbim
Thank you guys.
The car is not CPO, as I bought it from a private owner in Florida. I got PPI done in Florida and everything checked out. It is a 2017 with 5000 miles, so it still has good period of factory warranty. Hope it is all good. Will update how it goes.

Follow up question:
When it is transported from FL to TX, the transporter company uses a ratchet wheel straps on all 4 tires to secure the car on the transport. When the driver secure it on the track, I can see it is pulling down the car.
Please see pic below. Anyone knows if this method is safe for the car? Is this going to cause any alignment or suspension issue?

Thank you!
that would be my preferred method of strapping the car down, it allows the car to I use its suspension for the trip. Doing it like this also doesn’t pull on suspension and steering parts. Strapping from the frame to the transport will cause unnecessary stress on suspension parts, with this method the only stress is downforce on the tires. It should be noted that for manual transmission cars, the shifter should be in neutral. If the car is in gear when transporting, any forward and rearward motion can be transmitted to the engine. This will move parts back and forth that aren’t getting lubricated. This won’t apply to a 991 though, as it has a park selection.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:29 PM
bimbim
6th Gear

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am glad to hear this is normal and I don't have to worry about the strap on the transport.

Update on the FAL problem - I got my car back from dealer, they found the hydraulic cylinder was leaking and had to be replaced. They also had to replaced struts, thankfully all covered under warranty. The wait for the repair was painful though

Happy Holidays you all!
The following users liked this post:
Gdjsk (02-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Front Axle Lift problem