996 Carrera vs 4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:12 PM
djlarz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Carrera vs 4S

Hello all,

New guy here trying to decide what the 4S brings to the table from an owners perspective. It looks sportier to my eye but I’m sure there is more to it than aesthetics. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:19 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

You’ll get a lot of thoughts here but the best piece of advice I can give from someone with access to both is go out and drive each and form your own opinion.

Aesthetically the c4s is much better looking with the wide body, turbo aero, rear reflector strip and most have full leather interior (only some c2’s have full leather and it’s a must in my book).

The C4s also has turbo brakes, turbo suspension and awd. The first two are excellent, the awd is what truly makes the C2 and C4s different driving experiences. I do prefer the raw feel of the C2 and plan to convert my C4s to rwd at some point. And then, I’ll feel like I have the ultimate NA 996.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

To name a few, the 4S adds:

Wide body rear end
Turbo front and rear bumpers
Turbo tail lights
The signature reflector strip between the tail lights, only found on the 4S
All wheel drive
Larger brake calipers and rotors found on the Turbo, with red painted calipers
Turbo suspension components

I'm sure there are many more smaller changes, but those are some of the biggies.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I think the best idea is to buy one of each. I love my 04 C4S. But i also want to buy a 99 C2.

back to reality...... the above 2 post point out the obvious. I think the only other thing to point out is it seems to be the the C4S holds a higher price tag and may hold better resale in the long run.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:30 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

C4S is heavier than a C2 and has the same engine. Heavier with equal HP doesn't exactly say sportier to me. Now looks yep, she is a looker with those hips and bumpers. But sportier she is not.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:46 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

I had a 997C4S and my 996 Aero at the same time. THe C4S was spectacular for day to day driving in Seattle weather but it couldn't match the experience on the track....From my experience, two wheel drive gives you more opportunity to take advantage of the rear weight bias than the C4S. As far as the looks of a 996 C4S its hard to beat. However, and Areo C2 (like mine) is close up there in looks...just missing the wide rear.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:49 AM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

It depends on what you're looking for. I wanted to get into Porsche as a daily driver and had friends with that had damaged theirs (boxsters) in the rain on city streets with aggressive cornering (i.e., spin out hitting a curb or worse with no PSM + ordinary mortal driving skills (just like me!)). This made PSM a requirement for me, so I wanted MY2000+. Then I discovered the 996.2 C4S with not only good looks but all wheel drive to boot, so even more assurance. Last, the back seat was a bonus for me since I little kids at the time and we could zoom around together. 14 years later I still love it and wouldn't trade it for the newer models that I've driven (not that I can afford to!). I do think it has a bit of understeer which I compensate for with some trail braking but not so much that I want to give up the confidence of the AWD in the weather.

My wife daily drives an Audi A4 Quattro Avant and a 987.2 base boxster. The Audi quattro is amazing in the wet but I think my C4S is better. I can fling it around in the rain and have more fun than anyone around me. Her boxster is supremely planted on all 4 wheels but I still find I've got more grip and excitement in the C4S (OK, I've got like 70 more horsepower too...).

So it comes down to what you really want...
Old 12-12-2018, 03:13 AM
Chodey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're a looker, get a C4S. If you're a driver, get a C2.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:00 AM
Water Hound
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are surprisingly different cars to drive. The C2 just feels lighter, more nimble and great to flick through the corners. Even my C2 cabriolet feels quicker although the weight is very similar. That having been said, the C4S is a dead sexy looking car with arguably the nicest rear end of all time. Love it for long high speed runs. Feels very stable and planted especially on wet days. With no power advantage and more weight the 4S is definitely the car for style and stability, not for performance.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

I think it should be noted though that the C4S is no slouch. It’s true that it’s a heavier than the C2, and that the steering feel is different. That said, it still offers a true sports car experience, and a true Porsche experience. The differences in acceleration and/or track times will be measured in tenths of a second.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:29 AM
ajgordin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think it should be noted though that the C4S is no slouch. It’s true that it’s a heavier than the C2, and that the steering feel is different. That said, it still offers a true sports car experience, and a true Porsche experience. The differences in acceleration and/or track times will be measured in tenths of a second.
I think this sums it up well. Having driven both 996 C2s when I was looking and a C4S as my daily, I can say that the C4S is definitely a true 911. The C2 is a little lighter on its feet and more nimble, but to me the C4S feels like its glued to the road and looks gorgeous.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:23 AM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ajgordin
The C2 is a little lighter on its feet and more nimble, but to me the C4S feels like its glued to the road and looks gorgeous.
FWIW, this is why I got a C4S. It's just preference. Besides the look (which I do like better) I like feeling stability in the car no matter what I throw at it. I also have never been able to notice a difference in acceleration; They both have the same pull feel to me. Most of the Measured 0-60 times between a 996 C2 and C4S are negligible differences (sometimes even having the C4S on top). They are both enough to get you in trouble real quick on the street if you aren't careful.

All that said, I don't track so maybe that would change my mind...and I completely get why someone would want a car that feels lighter and a bit less stable.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:30 AM
djlarz
Track Day

Thank you all for the quick and thorough replies! Keep them coming. Not sure its helping with my decision though as now I want one of each.

Maybe I can get one, let my wife drive it for a bit so she wants one too! She is definantly a "looks" kindof person so the 4S sounds like the better of the two in that regard.

Anyone have a 4S they are looking to sell?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I suggest to read these 2 C4S reviews:They have a more comprehensive description than what typical surfaces from forum opinions.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:54 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

All 911s look awesome. The C4S vs. C2 looks debate comes down to personal preference, but most seem to prefer the wide body and turbo bumpers of the 4S. I'd say just go with the one that you like, and can afford. At the moment C4S will cost a bit more, but should also re-sell for a bit more. As many have commented, the C2 is lighter and 2 wheel drive and generally (overwhelmingly) preferred as a track car. BUT the C4S did post faster lap times back in the day (it is slightly heavier but it also benefits from better brakes, suspension, all wheel drive, a wider rear wheel base, and wider tires in the back) - so the argument that the C2 is just simply faster or better isn't necessarily true. Clear as mud now? I'd say just get the car you like and don't worry about splitting hairs. All of the 911 models are incredible sports cars.

Others have mentioned this, but I think it is worth repeating. If you love the C4S look, but the C2 drive train - look into a C2 with an aero kit. Those look incredible and retain the sleek narrow body design and 2 wheel drive.

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera vs 4S