Sponsored by:

ECU Mod List & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Default ECU Mod List & Feedback

First note- I am a "noob" as it relates to 991 mods as I am a new owner and new to Porsches in general. Sorry if this has been covered in the past posts but I would love to hear from people that have tried any of the listed ECU mods. I understand some have "questionable dynos" in that they are being questioned by other members and/or mod companies but just personal experience is great. Thanks!

It seems like the majority of users at Rennlist are fans of the Cobb Tuning:
* AP3-POR-011: http://staging.cobbtuning.com/products/accessport/accessport-for-porsche-911-991-2-carrera-s-gts
* Porsche 991.2 Carrera Map Notes (https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/433356875/Porsche+991.2+Carrera+Map+Notes)

However I have dug-up several other ECU mods that are offered- these include:
https://mcchip-dkr.com/en/performance-upgrades/
https://vfe1.com/products/porsche-991-2
https://www.houseautogroup.com/software-tuning/ http://www.evoms.com/category_s/2414.htm

Any others I am leaving out? Any feedback?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:19 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Hydra Moror Works is a great option.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Hydra Moror Works is a great option.
Thanks for the reply! Can you provide any additional details? I noticed one of the complaints with the COBB is that at Stage 1 it can be protuned for additional mods and may actually be limited by ECU throttle. Does the Hydra have that ability for post-flash tuning?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

You need to also look at what is a flash via hand held or mailing your ECU as well as a piggyback.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Not too many Cobb fans left on these forums..
Old 12-10-2018, 08:30 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I'm picking-up on that from a few other threads. From what I can understand it is because they can't protune with additional mods so it is hurting performance until they get to "Stage 2" - is that a fair assumption? I believe you already mentioned in a previous exchange you are Cobb + exhaust & header mods. Are there other ECU tuners that you would feel confident in?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Have you tried the search function in this forum? I ask because I remember reading about a lot of what you are asking recently, but did not pay much attention since I am not ready for a tune yet. I usually tell newer people to do what I did and start reading threads a few pages each day and you will be astonished as to what you will learn, and get a few laughs while you are at it.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

I haven't really looked into all of the tuning options because I am hoping Cobb can get their **** together by the end of January as they have recently promised. If not, I will be looking into the other tuning options much more seriously. I respect flsupraguy and if he says Hydra is a good product I would certainly believe him and look into them as well..
Old 12-10-2018, 08:44 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Have you tried the search function in this forum? I ask because I remember reading about a lot of what you are asking recently, but did not pay much attention since I am not ready for a tune yet. I usually tell newer people to do what I did and start reading threads a few pages each day and you will be astonished as to what you will learn, and get a few laughs while you are at it.
I did do a few searches but I couldn't find a "mega thread" with all the ECU feedback in one forum (plenty of flames around this claim vs that dyno). But thanks I'll dig in more.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:45 PM
mdr911
Instructor

I haven't really looked into all of the tuning options because I am hoping Cobb can get their **** together by the end of January as they have recently promised. If not, I will be looking into the other tuning options much more seriously. I respect flsupraguy and if he says Hydra is a good product I would certainly believe him and look into them as well..
Any specific reason why Cobb vs. say Hydra or a ECU tune that is "protune" ready? Reason I ask is many of the dealers in SoCal who do installs for your basic Stage 1 / 2 recommend different ECUs vs. Cobb.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Eurocharged is another option, I've had great luck with their tunes.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:12 AM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Protomotive tuned mine and im very happy. Not sure of any other known faster 60-130 time of 8.01 on 6speed(vbox) and 8.21 on Draggy. I’m currently having a new tune engineered remotely by Protomotive at Driver Source with data logging having recently installed a methanol injection system and added 3” Tial inlet pipes. Hoping for a 7.8 afterward. Todd Knighton of Protomotive has made many innovations in the Porsche FI world, especially on the 996 & 997 platforms. I highly recommend him. And if you are local, Driver Source in Houston has done many high horsepower builds, hardware developments and service for Porsche and all other exotics.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by mdr911
Thanks for the reply! Can you provide any additional details? I noticed one of the complaints with the COBB is that at Stage 1 it can be protuned for additional mods and may actually be limited by ECU throttle. Does the Hydra have that ability for post-flash tuning?
The issue is Pro-tuning has not been released yet. When that is released, COBB rules again. You just can't beat the Access port. The efficiency created by all the Stage 2 mods, are causing issues with Stage 1 tune. That's not a COBB issue, that's members impatience issue. I am guilty as well. I have the Stage 2 mods on, so I am itching for stage 2 release.

The problem with going elewhere will be one tune set and that all you get. I will want to add track tunes, and E15, E20, E30, E50 and Full E85 tunes as well. Then if I go larger turbo's Stage 4 tune. Nice to have them all on the Access port. I paid big money to fly a guy out to tune one of my cars. It was awesome. Until one day I took it in for a service and they updated my software, and tune GONE. Money GONE.

So with the Access Port , all tunes saved on it. They can do what they want to the car, and in two minutes I can load the tune back on. The car can also be return to stock tune when taking in for service.

C'mon man, that's not true. We are just impatient children, stamping our feet, because stage 2 is taking longer than expected. We all know it will be epic.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
The issue is Pro-tuning has not been released yet. When that is released, COBB rules again. You just can't beat the Access port. The efficiency created by all the Stage 2 mods, are causing issues with Stage 1 tune. That's not a COBB issue, that's members impatience issue. I am guilty as well. I have the Stage 2 mods on, so I am itching for stage 2 release.

The problem with going elewhere will be one tune set and that all you get. I will want to add track tunes, and E15, E20, E30, E50 and Full E85 tunes as well. Then if I go larger turbo's Stage 4 tune. Nice to have them all on the Access port. I paid big money to fly a guy out to tune one of my cars. It was awesome. Until one day I took it in for a service and they updated my software, and tune GONE. Money GONE.

So with the Access Port , all tunes saved on it. They can do what they want to the car, and in two minutes I can load the tune back on. The car can also be return to stock tune when taking in for service.

C'mon man, that's not true. We are just impatient children, stamping our feet, because stage 2 is taking longer than expected. We all know it will be epic.
Thank you so much for the very detailed review and rationale - to recap right now COBB is the only tuner with an access port which means we can easily tune via pro-tuning once the Stage 2 is released + if we get the ECU flashed for some reason at update or we want to put back to stock for a service inspection it will allow you to go back to the original settings. And there aren't any other ECU providers who can provide that ability (aka access port)? Sounds like I'll wait until Feb as that is when I will be looking for the install and if Stage 2 COBB is actually released we will even have data to compare against the other modders.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would wager some of the frustrated Cobb owners are hard core and a small % where most opt for an OTS and done for the day. (pure guess without any kind of survey) But its these hard core guys that push the envelope that also push the best (or worst)out of the tuners. I learn a lot everyday from them. But for now I am happy with my Cobb OTS stage 1 . Once I start to track next year I am sure I will want more
Having the Access port gives flexibility and easy to flash on and off or swap tunes.

Quick Reply: ECU Mod List & Feedback