Sponsored by:

Another PSE install question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another PSE install question.

I'm in the middle of installing the PSE on my 991.1 S cab. It's a been really fun and totally doable. My wife and kids think I"m crazy having my new car in pieces in the garage.

So, the exhaust is on and vacuum lines are run. I realized I still have one of the two braided 190mm vacuum lines left over. I used one to go from the holder to the exhaust. I used the long clear vacuum line to go from the back of the holder along the frame. Should I have used the second braided line on the back of the holder and connect it to the clear vacuum line? I'd rather not take the exhaust again at this point.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:44 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

It sound like you may have missed step 2.5.2 in the instructions, where the braided line is joined with the "plastic" Tekalan line, providing heat shielding to the part of the line that goes to the holder. I guess the plastic part might eventually melt or maybe it will be okay.

It's not clear to me how the plastic line would have attached to the holder though since I assume the braided line has a larger inner diameter for it to be able to fit onto the plastic part of the line... leading me the think the plastic line shouldn't have been able to fit onto the nipple on the holder since the holder was designed to receive the braided line.

Part of it is how much will it bug you (as well as whether or not it will eventually melt)l. If you decide not to go back and fix it up now, then you can always deal with it if and when the exhaust switching stops working. Part of the answer might depend on how hot the climate is in your location... but I don't know for sure if that will matter.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:54 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

I went ahead and corrected it. It wasn't too bad taking it off and doing it right. Otherwise it would have driven me nuts.

Got it done and back together last night. Took it for a quick spin. A small rattle from one of the tips I I need to deal with. I didn't really open it up, but I'd say it wasn't as loud as I expected

Getting it programmed on Wednesday. I'm hoping that will give me the snap, crackle and pop I'm looking for.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 AM
mrchua
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we may have the same issue.
When I picked up my car from the service shop (not porsche), the mechanic told me that there was an “extra” flexi steel pipe that they did not use.

My PSE package bought from suncoast came with 2pcs of 190mm flexi steel pipe.

The service shop told me they only need to install one piece.

Now after reading your post, im wondering if the service shop missed that part 2.5.2 or suncoast really sent an extra piece.

Let me know what you think?

thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 AM
mrchua
Intermediate

By the way regarding the tip rattle your experiencing... i had that too... i DIY fixed it in my garage.

I discovered that the rattle is coming from the butt of the tip having contact with the front tip of the exhaust pipe (mushroom headshape).
To fix this, you must leave a gap between that 2 parts (1cm) before tightening the bolt on the tip.

Let me know if you have solution to it but this fixed my rattle.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:42 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

I think you'll be fine with just the plastic tubing. It's such a pain to go back and add it at this point. Maybe keep jt handy Incase something it does melt or fail.

Thanks for the rattle tip. I'll check it out and report back.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:14 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Is there a vacuum line that feeds into the driver side of the air box. I have a feeling I forgot to connect something.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:56 PM
mrchua
Intermediate

This what it looks like in the heat shield area. See attached.
Is the steel flexi pipe correctly installed?

Old 12-11-2018, 02:53 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Porsche includes two 190 mm vacuum lines (steel flexi pipe) in every 991.1 PSE kit
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM
mrchua
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Porsche includes two 190 mm vacuum lines (steel flexi pipe) in every 991.1 PSE kit
thank you for confirming.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:46 PM
mrchua
Intermediate

I went underneath the exhaust last night to check if the mechanic used the steel flexi pipe on the other side of the heat shield.

Confirmed that he did not!

here is the picture.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:23 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Was it a P dealer install?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:57 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Well, PSE programmed, but somethings up with the flaps. They seem to be stuck closed.

Tech said it's not throwing any faults. He said a changeover valve could be bad or maybe I missed a vacuum line connection. Tech said either would throw a fault.

Any ideas?
Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

If they are closed (meaning quiet), then they are getting vacuum since their resting position without vacuum (or disconnected) is open (loud).

Shortly after the car is turned off the vacuum should fall off and they should open. If you watch as the car starts, you should see them rotate to the closed position (assuming the PSE switch is in the off position).
Old 12-12-2018, 06:15 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

I'll check that out.

What would cause them to stay shut? Even before I had the switch programmed they weren't open.

Quick Reply: Another PSE install question.