Sponsored By:

REAR WIPER blade arm cover problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 06:53 AM
c4s911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REAR WIPER blade arm cover problem

Hard to believe everyone is not screaming about the poor design on the rear wiper blade arm. Does not lift off the glass for cleaning, and if you lift it at all, the plastic cover pops off way too easily

Really bad design

Anyone hear of a factory update for this issue ?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:06 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by c4s911
Hard to believe everyone is not screaming about the poor design on the rear wiper blade arm. Does not lift off the glass for cleaning, and if you lift it at all, the plastic cover pops off way too easily

Really bad design
Well, I agree with part of your complaint. I have seen multiple posts over the last year about the ease of separating the rear cover. I mentioned in another thread that a guy in the Middle East posted a YouTube video after his rear cover went missing a short time after he took delivery. He thought hoodlums stole it. From reports like yours it may have just fallen off. A strong epoxy will fix the issue, I think.

Regarding the arm being firmly pressed to the glass, rather than the standard spring-loaded mechanism we are used to on SUVs: I wonder if lift is at play. We’re taking about a barn-door brick-like thing with a rated top speed of nearly 180 mph. Various videos have shown the usual Porsche conservatism at play, with one at 192 MPH. The vacuum created at the back of an SUV at these speeds might be enough to tear a spring-loaded arm right off. And while it’s true the standard Cayenne, S and e-Hybrid won’t hit those speeds on the Autobahn, we’re still taking about 150 mph-plus. The same principles apply.

I may be taking out of my rear end. But I believe Porsche engineers fixed that arm to the rear glass for a reason. Accountants were not involved — except to spec the cheap-*** cover to make up for the cost of a reinforced fixed arm!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:35 AM
c4s911
Advanced

Default plastic cover on wiper

Those are already on major backorder since they all fall off. Per the blade being tight against the window, with no lift, might be great at speed, but that suggests that previous models didn't go those speeds..... REALITY is you can't lift it even enough to wash the glass when you do a car wash. That is a bad design in my opinion so matter how fast your capable of going
Old 12-14-2018, 11:01 AM
davidc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine popped off while I was wiping the rear window. Surprised it didn't pop off while I was driving it at highway speeds.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:11 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Default SA demonstrated the problem

I was at our dealer yesterday, picking up a new Macan Sport they generously offered us until our Turbo gets in. I noticed that the rear wiper arm on a base Cayenne on the showroom floor was missing, so I asked him about it, mentioning that I've read and seen several reports of the issue on the web.

He told me, "Come over here," and let me outside. We walked out to a 2018 Panamera with a missing wiper-arm cover. Then he pointed to another Cayenne with a bare-metal rear wiper arm.

"I just made a video to distribute to our dealer group with the fix for this," he said. "The problem isn't bad design. It's bad installation. Look here."

We stepped over to a 2019 Cayenne that had the cover in place. He told me to try to pop it off (without breaking, please!). I fiddled with it for a second and told him it seemed secure to me. "Exactly," he said. "I just reinstalled that one on earlier today."

He took several seconds to remove it, having a pretty hard time doing so. The he turned it upside down and showed me there are two notched inserts on the right side of the cover that need to slide into a groove on the wiper arm FIRST. After doing that, you then attach the left side by rotating down and in. If you do that, the thing is on there but good.

Then he pulled it off again and showed me how about half of them, maybe more, come installed. "They just slap them on there," he said, without properly securing each end, which he demonstrated. "They look like they're on there right, but they are not. Go ahead and remove it." I pulled that one off almost immediately.

Hope this helps. I was 100 percent convinced. Remove your wiper arm cover and ensure the Slovakian wiper-arm installer was having a good day when he did yours. And pray he's not the same guy who bolted the transmission to the engine.
The following users liked this post:
Adams (01-01-2022)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:17 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same story as JCWLS3. My SA showed me how to properly snap on the cover so it is secure. There's a little "trick" to it but property installed it will stay in place.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:01 AM
davidc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
I was at our dealer yesterday, picking up a new Macan Sport they generously offered us until our Turbo gets in. I noticed that the rear wiper arm on a base Cayenne on the showroom floor was missing, so I asked him about it, mentioning that I've read and seen several reports of the issue on the web.

He told me, "Come over here," and let me outside. We walked out to a 2018 Panamera with a missing wiper-arm cover. Then he pointed to another Cayenne with a bare-metal rear wiper arm.

"I just made a video to distribute to our dealer group with the fix for this," he said. "The problem isn't bad design. It's bad installation. Look here."

We stepped over to a 2019 Cayenne that had the cover in place. He told me to try to pop it off (without breaking, please!). I fiddled with it for a second and told him it seemed secure to me. "Exactly," he said. "I just reinstalled that one on earlier today."

He took several seconds to remove it, having a pretty hard time doing so. The he turned it upside down and showed me there are two notched inserts on the right side of the cover that need to slide into a groove on the wiper arm FIRST. After doing that, you then attach the left side by rotating down and in. If you do that, the thing is on there but good.

Then he pulled it off again and showed me how about half of them, maybe more, come installed. "They just slap them on there," he said, without properly securing each end, which he demonstrated. "They look like they're on there right, but they are not. Go ahead and remove it." I pulled that one off almost immediately.

Hope this helps. I was 100 percent convinced. Remove your wiper arm cover and ensure the Slovakian wiper-arm installer was having a good day when he did yours. And pray he's not the same guy who bolted the transmission to the engine.
Thanks for this info.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:58 PM
c4s911
Advanced

Default rear wiper arm cover

so will have to try that trip to attach the cover

assuming it works (the dealer service departments don't know how to repair)

the REST of the issue is that the new design of the wiper arm does NOT allow to lift even a half inch to clean the window underneath ........ also a bad design
Old 12-18-2018, 01:13 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c4s911
the REST of the issue is that the new design of the wiper arm does NOT allow to lift even a half inch to clean the window underneath ........ also a bad design
I checked that too. You're right. I could lift the wiper off the glass maybe 3/16" before I got uncomfortable. Get your thin detailing rags out...
Old 12-18-2018, 10:58 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: REAR WIPER blade arm cover problem