Sponsored by:

Ceramic Pro - failure?

Old 12-08-2018, 12:21 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts
Default Ceramic Pro - failure?

Hi All,

I am pretty green as it relates to things like ceramic pro. I had full PPF and Ceramic Pro applied to my car just about a year ago and it does not seem to be performing. Not thinking that the product failed but that the detailer didn't do his job well. The first two pics are of my hood and I "think" this looks OK. The next two are from the side of my car and look no different than a car with nothing on it. I will say that my car does not feel slick at all. I am going back to the guy that did this but wanted some feedback from a few of the seasoned folks here that have experience with it. Thoughts?

An aside - super stoked we have rain in California. One more year and my house didn't burn down!!!

Old 12-08-2018, 02:00 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

That’s not right....water just runs off my car and I have Suntek / Ceramic Pro. Have you done the annual “maintenance”? For the warranty to remain active you need to take it to the installer where they “refresh” the coating depending on what level was applied (bronze, silver, gold package).
Old 12-08-2018, 02:22 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
That’s not right....water just runs off my car and I have Suntek / Ceramic Pro. Have you done the annual “maintenance”? For the warranty to remain active you need to take it to the installer where they “refresh” the coating depending on what level was applied (bronze, silver, gold package).
I am right at my timeline for that and will be reaching out to the detailer. My thought is it should not be like this after a year...not like we have a lot of harsh weather in So Cal.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Wujohn, how much were you charged for this job last year?
Old 12-08-2018, 08:01 AM
flatsick
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to apply maintenance coatings to a lot of different manufactures of ceramic coating. Try something like this and you should be good for a while. Its basically what they do when the "refresh" the ceramic coating.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...eramic-booster

Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I am right at my timeline for that and will be reaching out to the detailer. My thought is it should not be like this after a year...not like we have a lot of harsh weather in So Cal.
You are correct in thinking it should not be like that after a year whether in So. Cal. or in So. Dakota
After having done this on several cars with "authorized" detailers I have come to the conclusion this is all BS and a good detailing with clay/polish/sealant will yield similar results at a fraction of the cost.
Also, the annual maintenance that is required to keep the warranty valid is a total gimmick geared simply to generate an additional income stream.
Have your detailer correct his lousy job and stop drinking the Kool-Aid.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco42
You are correct in thinking it should not be like that after a year whether in So. Cal. or in So. Dakota
After having done this on several cars with "authorized" detailers I have come to the conclusion this is all BS and a good detailing with clay/polish/sealant will yield similar results at a fraction of the cost.
Also, the annual maintenance that is required to keep the warranty valid is a total gimmick geared simply to generate an additional income stream.
Im starting to feel this way as well.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:58 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco42
I’m glad you brought this up, I have reservations about having ceramic coating applied to my new, incoming vehicle. I’m in total agreement of the annual coatings that need to be applied to continue warranty protection, total gimmick and simply a method of detailer collecting addtional revenue. There’s no evidence that this or similar products won’t prove detrimental and the removal of such material could be a problem for the factory clearcoat and/or paint. Proper exterior care of today’s vehicle finishes should last the life of the vehicle and for many, adds to the enjoyment of vehicle ownership. PPF has a proven function and can easily be removed at anytime, ceramic coating is anything but easy to remove therefore, I’ll stay far away from it and continue to use the products that are proven to work long term.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:11 AM
flatsick
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PPF & Ceramic is a buzzy thing to do car wise and more of a conversation piece than an actual solution. PPF definitely but a spray and seal or something like Nanolex SI on top of the ppf would be just fine. Nano-ceramic technology was developed to work in combination with the clear coat for the full effect, throwing it on top of PPF is basically a sealer that will inevitable expand and contract and create crevasses for water to attach to, defeating the purposes of the coating in the fist place. I've never understood why people ceramic on top of PPF.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by CCDD

I’m glad you brought this up, I have reservations about having ceramic coating applied to my new, incoming vehicle. I’m in total agreement of the annual coatings that need to be applied to continue warranty protection, total gimmick and simply a method of detailer collecting addtional revenue. There’s no evidence that this or similar products won’t prove detrimental and the removal of such material could be a problem for the factory clearcoat and/or paint. Proper exterior care of today’s vehicle finishes should last the life of the vehicle and for many, adds to the enjoyment of vehicle ownership. PPF has a proven function and can easily be removed at anytime, ceramic coating is anything but easy to remove therefore, I’ll stay far away from it and continue to use the products that are proven to work long term.
I have been reluctant to apply ceramic on my car for the same reasons. Always leary of the propaganda although I have probably bought thousands of dollars in products to keep car and wheels clean and shiny, as I am sure others have. New products that claimed better shine and gloss were usually in my garage in a couple of days. But after trying the myriad of products, I have come to the conclusion that there is no "magic pill" and if you want a clean car with a great shine, you gotta do the work. Claims by manufacturers have the sole purpose of selling product, and I have yet to see a significant difference between similarly priced waxes and sealants -- they all shine about the same and last about the same amount of time. Don't believe all the claims, save some money. Currently using Nanoskin sealant and car is smooth as a baby's *** and shines like the midday sun.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:22 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only one benefiting by ceramic (nano) coatings is the detailer and the manufacturer of the product.
Use common sense.....it's all "snake oil" and the industry is taking advantage of the personality traits of car enthusiasts.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:26 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I have been reluctant to apply ceramic on my car for the same reasons. Always leary of the propaganda although I have probably bought thousands of dollars in products to keep car and wheels clean and shiny, as I am sure others have. New products that claimed better shine and gloss were usually in my garage in a couple of days. But after trying the myriad of products, I have come to the conclusion that there is no "magic pill" and if you want a clean car with a great shine, you gotta do the work. Claims by manufacturers have the sole purpose of selling product, and I have yet to see a significant difference between similarly priced waxes and sealants -- they all shine about the same and last about the same amount of time. Don't believe all the claims, save some money. Currently using Nanoskin sealant and car is smooth as a baby's *** and shines like the midday sun.
+1
Old 12-08-2018, 09:41 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

It’s actually kind of interesting if not humorous as well that so many get caught up in this “stuff”. We spend $100k or more on a vehicle and fall victim to products being sold for >$1000 that’s guaranteed to make life easier for us in order to enjoy our vehicles even more. Do I believe that users of ceramic coat are spending significantly less time cleaning their cars, no. Is it likely that those that have the product on their vehicle are more likely to have to spend even more money caring for it or to possibly have it removed at some point, yes. Ceramic coating is still going to scratch, get swirl marks and have other similar attributes to clear coat. Claying, wax, detail sprays etc will deliver the same hydrophobic results, an occasional “paint correction” will still be required on both.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

I have said this since I joined Rennlist: NONE of these ceramic coatings do a damn thing and are a waste of money.

I had it done to my previous car and it looked just like the OP's pic after a year. Went back and had them re apply and same thing months later.
I have had many arguments with other owners who swear by it. In the end, you do what you want, its your money.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:09 AM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

As stated clay , paint correction and good old fashion hand job wax !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ceramic Pro - failure?