Bore scoring. I know it’s been covered already , but different question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:32 AM
Morganmobile
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bore scoring. I know it’s been covered already , but different question

Hi all

I have what appears to be an almost symptomless case of bore scoring and wanted to sound it out here.

Car is 2004 S with 230000KM. I have had the vehicle for about 9 months without issues.

Recently I have developed the good old knocking sound ( not that loud and goes away with increased revs) I have checked the plugs ( none fouled) checked my coils ( none cracked but all are rev 03) I have virtually zero oil consumption and no excess smoke on acceleration or lift ( little hard to tell now as it is only around 3 deg C and damp now here in Finland)

I have no CEL, no misfires and other than the noise no symptoms.

Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2018, 12:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

It would seem like scoping the cylinders would be the next step in diagnosis to take.. but perhaps first trying to localize the knocking sound might be a productive step..
Old 10-26-2018, 02:36 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

If you do have bore scoring, at 143k miles, that would be a new mileage record, I think. Mine, in my 2004 S, happened at ~45k miles. Deilenberger's survey , with 8 failures reported, has 2 between 90-120k miles, and none so far above 120k.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15355875

Hopefully you're not setting a record on this one.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:51 PM
Morganmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldskewel
If you do have bore scoring, at 143k miles, that would be a new mileage record, I think. Mine, in my 2004 S, happened at ~45k miles. Deilenberger's survey , with 8 failures reported, has 2 between 90-120k miles, and none so far above 120k.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15355875

Hopefully you're not setting a record on this one.
Reading around I have a (very low chance) hope is might be AOS related.

By paying very close attention today I noticed after a cold start I did get a small cloud on hard (ish) acceleration until engine oil was up to 90c. I pulled the AOS hose and it is quite oily. Now I just need to find an EU source for the diaphragm as a quick test. Seems some people have had bore scoring scares that have turned out to be a failed AOS diaphragm.

If if not and it does turn out to be scoring then it looks like I will be looking for a wrecked 9PA in the near future.

For clarification I have driven almost 8000km since the noise started and I guess the lump would have given in by now if it was scoring.

Will monitor and come back with any updates.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Morganmobile
...For clarification I have driven almost 8000km since the noise started and I guess the lump would have given in by now if it was scoring...

I highly doubt a scored motor would last 8k kms (5k miles).

Its a progressive condition, and it usually progresses fairly quickly.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Morganmobile
Instructor

Default Update

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
I highly doubt a scored motor would last 8k kms (5k miles).

Its a progressive condition, and it usually progresses fairly quickly.
Another 3,5tKm and the sound continues, still no oil consumption or misfires.

The mystery continues.......
Old 12-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Probably a stuck lifter
Old 12-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Morganmobile
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whitegalaxie
Probably a stuck lifter
Changed oil twice in last 3tKM but yes that is my thought too.
A job for when it is not -10c anymore
Old 12-14-2018, 06:33 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitegalaxie
Probably a stuck lifter
​​​​​​​

Hmmm... how many times has that actually been documented on one of these engines? Wait for it... still waiting...anyone...? anyone?

Cheers,
Tom
Old 12-14-2018, 06:43 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by tats
I did. It works just fine.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Chrali
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF

Hmmm... how many times has that actually been documented on one of these engines? Wait for it... still waiting...anyone...? anyone?

Cheers,
Tom
I hope it has, as mine with over 120k miles on it behaves exactly the same as the OPs. I also had regular P0011 which suggest Camshaft "A" timing (bank 1) / camshaft position advanced too far and that dirt in the oil circuit could be a possible cause. Damn thing sounded like a sick diesel from 20 feet away after a 40 mile drive. Had nothing to lose, so I added 2 cans of Liqui Moly Hydraulic Valve Lifter Additive 2270 despite thinking it was snake oil.
Now the clatter is much reduced when cold and totally gone when hot. I actually struggle to tell if their is any difference with an ear pressed on the bonnet above each bank. Don't get any P0011 DTC's any more either.
I've been driving it this way for the last 2,500 miles, suppose it could still be bore scoring ?!

Old 12-14-2018, 07:51 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grab a 9v pp3 battery and make up some leads. Take the connector off the vvti solenoid and use the leads and battery to cycle them. So hold -ve on one spade connector and tap away at the other, then reverse. Should get a thuck sound if they’re free. I did mine every few months like this on my 05 as they were a bit sticky and made the car sound like a diesel. After regular flushes, oil changes and cycling they came unstuck and never happened again. I then did it as preventative maintenance.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:01 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF

Cheers,
Tom
Hydrolic lifters can stick on any engine. Varnish and gum can and do form in any engine. I doubt the OP is the original owner and who knows the oil change and oil quality history. Pigs are not immune to it. Piston slap noise does not go away at engine speeds above idle but stuck lifter noise does.
An old trick to unstick lifters is to add a quart of atf to the oil and run it for a hundred miles and then change the oil and filter.
‘Please don’t assume that because a noise comes from a Porsche engine then it has to be piston slap and it just can’t be anything else. Some posters just love to spread hear say and have no actual experience in anything except reading forums and jumping on bandwagons before they know any facts.
​​​​​​​‘Good luck with finding the truth.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:14 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Whitegalaxie - thanks for your thoughts. Indeed any engine can suffer a failure of any kind, but the V8 Cayenne 4.5L and 4.8L engine failures are widely reported on this forum. I've been here for a while, and can't recall one incident of lifter failure (not to say it can't or never happened - but it certainly isn't common.) The vanos-control solenoid - as tats points out - has appeared in some small number of failures reported (typically with engines that got the oil changed on Porsche's schedule, on the 4.5L '06 engines that was a 20,000 mile interval.) Most of us change oil more frequently than Porsche calls for.

Unfortunately - aside from the 4.5L coolant pipes - the most common failure from 2003-2009 is bore scoring. That's not "hear say" - that's reported failures here, and in the bore-scoring survey that's referenced in the stickies. You might spend a bit of time looking at that survey.

Quick Reply: Bore scoring. I know it’s been covered already , but different question