LF: Kids dirt bike gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Default LF: Kids dirt bike gear

Might be a long shot but figured it's worth a try. I'm looking for some good used dirt bike safety gear for my 11 year old son (boots, helmet, gloves, pants, chest protector, etc.). Got him am 80CC bike to learn to ride and now need to get some proper safety gear. Anyone has some or knows someone that has some for sale, please let me know.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your 11 year old drives a motorcycle?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:17 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

BRAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky kid!
Old 10-24-2018, 03:36 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Might be a long shot but figured it's worth a try. I'm looking for some good used dirt bike safety gear for my 11 year old son (boots, helmet, gloves, pants, chest protector, etc.). Got him am 80CC bike to learn to ride and now need to get some proper safety gear. Anyone has some or knows someone that has some for sale, please let me know.
Good for him.

My Son started with the Honda Junior Red Rider program at age 9 with 50cc and he finished up at age 12 on the bigger bikes. Check to see if it's still around, costs were more than reasonable, and they teach the basic of safety first. Sometimes the lessons get across best from the Pros.

Sorry can't help with the gear but maybe you'll meet a family with stuff to spare.

Wishing him safe fun !!!

Last edited by Mark Lue; 10-24-2018 at 11:39 PM. Reason: adding links
Old 10-24-2018, 07:47 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Can you give some rough sizes? 11 yr olds come in all shapes and sizes I have a pair of size 9 boots I'd be glad to donate, but they may be too big. Also may have a pair of pants.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:12 AM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

My kids have ridden since they were 5 (7 years) and I would get most gear off of Kijiji. We also discovered some friends with older kids that rode so let them know we would also buy any gear they out-grew; worked very well & we passed along to family who have younger kids starting to ride.

Sadly both my kids now focus on hockey & ball now so we have only ridden once in the last 2 years and we are going to be getting out of the sport of dirt-biking. It was great riding in the back country with them but interests change; enjoy the time with your son!

FWIW any new gear I bought (and still buy for myself) I would get at fortnine.ca ( A montreal based retailer of motorcycle gear: Excellent service & prices)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Bacura
Your 11 year old drives a motorcycle?
I understand your concern but he has been competitively racing go karts with the Waterloo Regional Kart Club for 3 seasons now so he understands the basic concepts of operating and controlling a vehicle. They raced in the rain too so that also helped with vehicle control in rough conditions. We went for a practice the other day at a buddy's house, he has a couple acres of land that just had the corn harvested. worked out well. We used his karting gear (Snell approved helmet, neck brace, rib protector, racing suit with gloves). I've also installed a throttle stop that only lets him got maybe half a throttle for now. Also, made some lowering links for the rear shock to bring the seat down a little so his feet are flat on the ground when stopped and pushed the forks up a couple inches too. The plan is to get him to learn basic motorcycle control and then we would go trail riding. I'm not intending to have him race, just to learn now to ride and use a clutch. Although a fiend's kid does race comparatively and is doing really well (he is around 13) and he has been riding dirt bikes before he learned how to ride bicycle. I'v noticed that this subject is very polarizing, the people that had their kids learn to ride early have no issues with it but those that didn't or work on the heath care industry do. I fully understand the concerns of those in the heath care industry as they see the worst of the worst all the time and that's why I'm taking extra steps to make this as safe as possible but at the same time I don't want my kids to grow up in a bubble either.

As for size, he is on the skinny side of an 11 year old. Average height but only 76lb, he wears size 6 shoes so the size 9 boots will be too big, but I appreciate the offer. I'm keeping an eye open for all this on Kijiji too.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Good for him.

My Son started with the Honda Junior Red Rider program at age 9 with 50cc and he finished up at age 12 on the bigger bikes. Check to see if it's still around, costs were more than reasonable, and they teach the basic of safety first. Sometimes the lessons get across best from the Pros.

Sorry can't help with the gear but maybe you'll meet a family with stuff to spare.

Wishing him safe fun !!!
I will look into this.
P.S. He is still using your son's karting suit, going to fit him for years to come.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

I had some of my best wipe outs on an RM 80 as a kid ... lots of grass rash and bruises , nothing more . taught me respect, corn husks hurt when you go through them at speed sans bike ...
Old 10-24-2018, 09:05 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Love the no bubble pack society
Stories behind scars.
Real chemistry kits, wood burning kits etc etc.

Quick Reply: LF: Kids dirt bike gear