Sponsored By:

Frustrating ad blue issue

Old 10-20-2018, 05:49 PM
diamond-back
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Frustrating ad blue issue

Hi all,

I had the dealer top off my CD when in for an oil change almost 5k ago. The car was new-to-me as of March this year... it's a 2014.
Anyway, my Mom had the CD for the past week or so, and it went straight to the red ad blue error and is now down to 55 miles before it won't restart. Added 2.5 gallons, definitely sounded about full. I followed the directions in manual to let it sit for 30sec before starting engine. Waited much longer than that. So basically, the system is not working as it should. I went up town, but Auto stores won't reset codes they told me.

I don't know what else to do, as I don't have an ODB2 reader on me.

Is there any other way to reset the electrical system? To possibly clear the code?

If not, guess I have to hope the 1800PORSCHE will tow it to Nashville for free and let them fix the broken system.

Thanks in advance for any potential fixes..
Cory
Old 10-20-2018, 06:46 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

If it said it had 55 miles to go, that means the tank was basically empty. It'll take 5+ gallons at that point to get full. Fill it, key on to the "ignition on" position for 30 seconds, then start it.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 PM
diamond-back
Track Day

Originally Posted by docwyte
If it said it had 55 miles to go, that means the tank was basically empty. It'll take 5+ gallons at that point to get full. Fill it, key on to the "ignition on" position for 30 seconds, then start it.
As I said in the original post........., I had it "topped off" by the dealer 5k miles ago. I don't know if they topped it off, or not. Doesn't matter, right? It doesn't matter... because I came home this weekend, as my Mom told me the error. She has only put 300 miles on the car since she has had it (it is my car) ... Anyway, today I added 2.5 gallons and it is literally full. You can see the def within what appears to be a few inches of the top of the tank. It is completely full.

Besides the fact that the computer should have given more advanced warning than 100-200 miles? I thought it gave 1000-1500 mile warning?

Regardless, as I described, the tank is full. The warning should go off within 30sec, the ad blue tank is full. I've driven it 30mi. Multiple motor start/stops. The mileage remaining keeps reducing, down to 55 remaining before it won't restart.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:12 PM
diamond-back
Track Day

Arrow

Let me also add... I've done extensive Owners manual reading (online manual as well as the manual that came with the car).
I'll add further, I did a lot of searching on this form and 6speedonline. The only solutions I've found is people have had to have the dealership drop the diesel tank and replace defective compoents related to the SCR system.

Sorry, I'm at my wits end, and out of range from a Porsche dealer and no way I can get it to a place where I can re-start it, then get it to dealer when they open. Very frustrating. Maybe I need to invest in the iCarScan. Does anyone know if it would be able to reset this ridiculous warning that is going off, even though my ad-blue tank is full?

Thanks in advance guys... .trying not to inconvenience yall by doing my research in the first place. Not trying to sound like a jerk. Just very irritated.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:18 PM
qtro
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can drive past the 55 miles. Just don’t shut it off. Mine had an adblue failure when I purchased it as soon as I drove off the lot. Drove it back and they swapped out the entire system.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:17 AM
diamond-back
Track Day

Originally Posted by qtro
You can drive past the 55 miles. Just don’t shut it off. Mine had an adblue failure when I purchased it as soon as I drove off the lot. Drove it back and they swapped out the entire system.
Fair enough. That's most likely what I'll be doing today unless I can come up with an alternative.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Likely the level sensor. Just have Porsche pick it up.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had same issue with level sensor...
Old 10-28-2018, 12:11 PM
carsandcapp
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I think the Adblue system is under warranty until like 2127 ; ) Have the dealer come pick it up and fix it - for FREE.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:27 AM
diamond-back
Track Day

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by carsandcapp
I think the Adblue system is under warranty until like 2127 ; ) Have the dealer come pick it up and fix it - for FREE.
Just to update yall, had 1800PORSCHE come pick it up. Dealer fixed it right up under warranty. Replaced the unit which includes level sensor, heater & pump. Good to go
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (11-07-2023)
Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by carsandcapp
I called the Porsche 800 number a couple of months ago to make sure my 2015 CD was covered bumper to bumper unlimited miles until May of 2023 and it is except for the exhaust system. I was told that was covered for 120 k miles.
I plan on racking up 250k+ miles on mine so I hope you are correct. The gm at the dealership thought it was strange that it wasn't cover along with the rest of the car.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:43 AM
diamond-back
Track Day

Originally Posted by eddieb4
I called the Porsche 800 number a couple of months ago to make sure my 2015 CD was covered bumper to bumper unlimited miles until May of 2023 and it is except for the exhaust system. I was told that was covered for 120 k miles.
I plan on racking up 250k+ miles on mine so I hope you are correct. The gm at the dealership thought it was strange that it wasn't cover along with the rest of the car.
Hmm.. wonder if that's what my warranty set up is like, too? Mine's simply CPO, as far as I know.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:41 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

My AdBlue level sensor failed in a similar way threatening no start in 60 miles with a full AdBlue tank. My dealer keeps these sensors in stock BTW.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:11 PM
Howard74
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly fix

I had the same issue with my macan. I discovered the sensors, heaters etc are part of the pump assemble, i was going to remove the pump for inspection, although the plastic nut was too tight for the tools I had on hand. I tapped the back of the pump with the back of a screw driver several times and presto! The Adblue light went away. I believe the internal float level sensor was stuck in the low position. My Autel scan tool, indicated the level was 30% before and now 76%. I’m not sure if this has permanently fixed the problem.

Last edited by Howard74; 11-06-2023 at 10:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frustrating ad blue issue