Notices

987 Boxster Rattle **ANNOYING**

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 03:37 PM
cbaker23
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 Boxster Rattle **ANNOYING**

So I just got an 06 Boxster; working out the minor kinks of the car, and one of them happens to be this extraordinarily annoying rattle behind the passenger side of the cabin, maybe from the wheel well area, maybe from the trunk area, but its hard to tell. It doesn't sound suspension related at all-- it actually sounds almost like a loose piece of plastic rattling or something like that. I've checked out the rear trunk hatch (and even replaced the trunk strut that was going out) and don't think that's it; I thought it was maybe the foam pieces under the trunk floor, but I just glued them down so they don't move anymore so that cant be it... I'm really getting annoyed with the loud thud every time I go over even minor bumps. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks so much!
CJ
Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Hard to diagnose without hearing it person, even harder to diagnose considering how much is between the seat and the wheel area.

If it's only happening with bumps, the first things that come to mind are: a loose exhaust hanger, the sway bar end link, the strut or spring seat, loose camber or toe arm.

When the car is cool, grab the exhaust by the mufflers and shake it to see if it's rattling or look for any broken or loose hangers.
With the back wheel jacked off the ground, grab the wheel and 9 and 3 and wiggle to see if there is any play (play means bad/loose toe arm).
Do this same thing but grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6 (play means bad/loose camber arm).

You can grab the end link and see if it has any movement, but this can be a bit hard to really test by hand. An option is to completely disconnect the sway bar and see if the noise goes away. then you know it's end link related.
Also worth checking that the top strut bolt is securely tightened.

Once you install your "new" suspension, that will rule out a potentially bad strut. I'll send you the tracking number this afternoon.

Quick Reply: 987 Boxster Rattle **ANNOYING**