Sponsored by:

WTB Carrera 991 Carrera 4 or 4S also Maintanance & Winter Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 08:38 PM
mind
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WTB Carrera 991 Carrera 4 or 4S also Maintanance & Winter Questions

Hello forum, my first post / thread here...

I would like to get opinions on my current situation. I was considering to buy a Audi TT RS, but after few friends pushing me to try out the Porsche Cayman S and 911 Carrera 4 & 4S, my view basically changed. With a bit help from the family financially is allowing me to buy a Carrera 4. I would like to add that I live in Toronto, Canada. I prefer a 4 wheel drive rather than a Cayman S. That was the main factor for me to decide on a 911. Even though i test drove the Cayman S and i like it, getting a 4 wheel drive would help me drive safer in the city with the winter conditions.

The problem I am currently facing is not being able to decide on a Carrera 4 loaded with options or Carrera 4 S with very little options added. The options when added makes a huge difference (Price wise). I am very into my comfort therefore i added bunch of options. ( r/http://www.porsche-code.com/PKV8DLZ1 Porsche Carrera 4 ) or ( http://www.porsche-code.com/PKG4IBA0 )

Also made this build for the Carrera 4S, ( r/http://www.porsche-code.com/PKDMK2H5 Porsche Carrera 4S )

The difference between 2 options are: (Carrera 4S build doesn't have these options added)

- Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package, it has 4 way seats only

- Tinted Taillight

- Power Folding Exterior Mirrors

- Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass

- Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)

- Factory default sound system

The main use of the car until the lease ends will be basically commuting to work and going to the track. After the lease, if everything works out i would like to buy out the car and make it a track car for my own pleasure.

Would you guys go for a car that is loaded with options or go with a slightly more powerful car with less options.

I would really appreciate it if 911 drivers or enthusiast could help me out with few questions I have about the cars maintenance fees and winter use.

I would like to note that the car's main use will be commuting to work and going to the track time to time. Aside from that I am hoping to get the car delivered to GTAinDetail ( http://gtaindetail.com/ ). Would like to get Paint coating and new car prep. I would like to keep the car neat and tidy from the start.

I live in Toronto, Canada and my question is how the car performs in the Toronto winter conditions, reliability, if there is any salt damage etc. Also I would really appreciate it if you guys help me out with what the maintenance fees are like for a brand new 911 Carrera 4. Lastly how reliable the service is. I know that in Audi after each service you get a email from audi asking how the service is (Thats what i have been told by a friend who owns a Audi here in Toronto). If the service is not good and you complain they do serious investigation.

As a car enthusiast I would like to keep the car neat, clean, tidy and salt free. I would appreciate it if you guys could let me know about your experiences and any info you could provide. I am hoping to buy the car within 4-5 weeks or maybe sooner, waiting for my PR to be issued it could be any day now. It would be great if i could foresee the fees, problems beforehand.

Thank in advance to everyone.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:10 AM
Big Lou
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mind

I would like to get opinions on my current situation. I was considering to buy a Audi TT RS, but after few friends pushing me to try out the Porsche Cayman S and 911 Carrera 4 & 4S, my view basically changed. With a bit help from the family financially is allowing me to buy a Carrera 4. I would like to add that I live in Toronto, Canada. I prefer a 4 wheel drive rather than a Cayman S. That was the main factor for me to decide on a 911. Even though i test drove the Cayman S and i like it, getting a 4 wheel drive would help me drive safer in the city with the winter conditions.

The problem I am currently facing is not being able to decide on a Carrera 4 loaded with options or Carrera 4 S with very little options added. The options when added makes a huge difference (Price wise). I am very into my comfort therefore i added bunch of options. ( r/http://www.porsche-code.com/PKV8DLZ1 Porsche Carrera 4 ) or ( http://www.porsche-code.com/PKG4IBA0 )

Also made this build for the Carrera 4S, ( r/http://www.porsche-code.com/PKDMK2H5 Porsche Carrera 4S )

The difference between 2 options are: (Carrera 4S build doesn't have these options added)

- Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package, it has 4 way seats only

- Tinted Taillight

The main use of the car until the lease ends will be basically commuting to work and going to the track. After the lease, if everything works out i would like to buy out the car and make it a track car for my own pleasure.

Would you guys go for a car that is loaded with options or go with a slightly more powerful car with less options.

I would really appreciate it if 911 drivers or enthusiast could help me out with few questions I have about the cars maintenance fees and winter use.

I would like to note that the car's main use will be commuting to work and going to the track time to time. Aside from that I am hoping to get the car delivered to GTAinDetail ( http://gtaindetail.com/ ). Would like to get Paint coating and new car prep. I would like to keep the car neat and tidy from the start.

I live in Toronto, Canada and my question is how the car performs in the Toronto winter conditions, reliability, if there is any salt damage etc. Also I would really appreciate it if you guys help me out with what the maintenance fees are like for a brand new 911 Carrera 4. Lastly how reliable the service is. I know that in Audi after each service you get a email from audi asking how the service is (Thats what i have been told by a friend who owns a Audi here in Toronto). If the service is not good and you complain they do serious investigation.

As a car enthusiast I would like to keep the car neat, clean, tidy and salt free. I would appreciate it if you guys could let me know about your experiences and any info you could provide. I am hoping to buy the car within 4-5 weeks or maybe sooner, waiting for my PR to be issued it could be any day now. It would be great if i could foresee the fees, problems beforehand.

I have a 2016 C4 Black Edition. I just bought it out of my lease after the dealer CPO’d it. Knock on wood it has been free of any mechanical issues. It is not my daily driver but I do drive in a very spirited fashion every chance I get. I have had it out in the rain ( never in snow yet because of the P Zeros.) The 4 wheel drive is great; I often leave the torque split gauge up and for the most part it drives like a RWD C2– until I’m tearing up a windy hill—and the car just...works..really well in the wet or dry...The thing sticks like glue and off ramps are a blast. I have no intention of tracking the car so I personally would rather have the options over the bigger motor and brakes...but to each is own. C4 or C4S Either way, I’m sure you’ll love it-it is a great car

Old 10-18-2018, 12:43 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

So this is an order for a 991.2 .. Earlier this year I went the CPO route and picked up a 991.1 2016 C4S with under 12K miles. Prior to that I had test drove several new 991.2's: Turbo, Carerra T, and a C4S. Had a chance to try the PDCC and honestly...for mostly DD street use, save the money. The Carerra T had the 4 ways and they were actually just fine. The Turbo had 18 ways and yes, if you need total comfort and more buttons, those are the right choice. My C4S has 14 Way and they work just fine.

The Electric Tilt Glass Sunroof is a great option...I love mine.

Folding mirrors I rarely use but I would imagine if I had to park in a garage they would be helpful.

I don't have tinted tail lights. The Turbo I drove did and they look neat.

One option you didn't list was PDLS. I like mine.

You also didn't list Sports Chrono...from what I've read its more than a cool clock on the dash. There are some PDK algos that come with it for Sport mode.

Keep in mind if this is something your putting snow tires on, the S will ride a little lower. The standard 4 will give you some additional ride height over the sport suspension in a 4S.

Love my decision to get a C4S. And in this area we see inventory of 911s that have never seen the winter and have low miles, so a CPO is a great way to let someone else pay for some of that initial depreciation. And yes, there is depreciation to be realized on your 911. Its a car. Not an investment. Drive it. Your going to love it.

Last edited by phefner; 10-18-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: syntax
Old 10-18-2018, 12:57 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

For the C4S, you need to look at the Sport Package that includes Chrono, RWS, PSE, GT Steering Wheel and Sport Mirrors and save yourself $1150 over selecting those options individually (unless you don't want the Sport Mirrors).

I know 911s are used in snowy winters, but I would be hesitant to use mine on salted roads, but your choice.

If you're looking for a C4 (my original choice), best to check if the dealers have allocations, US C4 allocations can be difficult to find, if at all, C4S is easier (of course, they cost more=more profit). The 992 are coming and the 991.2 production will be winding down.

Delivery in the US for an order, 12 weeks +/-.

I have a 2019 C4S on order w/ Sport Package, January delivery, and specified AWD for more wet road stability (rains in Florida).

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:21 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I don't understand your last statement.... "Keep it neat, clean and salt free"

You are buying a 4/4S to enjoy your surroundings. Buy some great winter tires and some Weathertech floor liners .....Get'er dirty then clean 'er up.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

18ways, sunroof add weight.

Get the stripper S. Or save more money and get a stripper C4.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:55 AM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

To the OP: In making your decision between (A) more HP, fewer options and comforts, and (B) lower HP, all the options and comforts you want, I'd suggest using the "lens of future regret". If you choose option A, how intensely and frequently will you regret the lack of amenities? If you choose option B, how intensely and frequently will you regret the lack of higher HP? If there's a clear difference between the two levels of regret, then choose the the option which entails less regret. If the regrets associated with both options feel like a lot to handle, then, perhaps, reconsider how much you're willing to spend, to get the best of both. If the choice must be binary, then my observation from the way you described your thoughts and feelings about this is that option B (more amenities, less HP) seems to meet your needs more than option A.

Regarding winter driving, I'm in the Chicago area, and I made the choice not to store our 911 TTS this winter -- the winter wheel set is being mounted a week from today. (I will put our Boxster in storage.) I know there's some risk from some salt, but at my age I'm keenly aware that life is too short not to enjoy it while we can. I get my cars washed frequently, and I'm looking forward to driving the TTS on those crisp, cold, clear winter days when it seems like the entire world is a cold air intake....
Old 10-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

You made the right choice with a 911 (an icon) over a four cylinder 718 (annoying soundtrack) and the TT (small and bland design). I changed my 718S for a 991.2 C2S and love it, particularly the beautiful sounding engine. Have to say though the smaller roadsters (911 is really a grand tourer) are probably more fun to throw around. I wouldn't have bothered paying the massive difference for an S but the base just wasn't available here.

The Sports Chrono is useless IMHO unless you're a tracker but stopwatch does look cool. I've never used Sport Plus (petrol too dear here!), only Sport, and that silly little wheel is not as easy as a button. You do need the Sports Exhaust though if only for the throttle blip (it's not provocative in your face like Jag F-types) you get when in Sport Mode (surprisingly doesn't seem to use more juice unless you spend a lot of time standing still cos higher revs in idle). The tailpipes look better too and are better quality (less easy to tarnish and rust but they still will).

Love the 14-way basic seats (had the Sport Plus before and no discernible comfort difference for me, also think the silver plastic hard backs look cheap). Love the memory setting which also reverts to max back when you switch ignition off for easy entry exit. Then resets everything, mirrors, steering wheel, etc when you turn ignition on. Combined with electric mirrors (cheap option for Porsche), just really cool when they go in/out automatically when you lock/unlock the car. Never used the manual switch.

The LED lights with PDLS+ are excellent. The latter really does reliably dip your main beam automatically. Had the Xenons with basic PDLS before and they were fine but I've heard the standard Xenons are poor cos less powerful not just lacking PDLS.

I've got the Bose. Wouldn't say it was brilliant but would say the basic Sound Package Plus is poor for the level of car.

I've also got the carbon interior and coloured dials. Only because that's how the stock car was specified, ridiculously priced options and actually (again IMHO) the standard spec is better!

OPC service is excellent (in UK at least with similar Porsche UK follow up) but ferociously expensive. My last three cars (987,981 and 718) though, kept up to 5 years, have never gone wrong and in UK service is every 2 years or 20,000 so not a big deal. Not sure Canada but know US is 12 months for no apparent reason.

Keep it clean and don't use a car wash. The paint rashes and swirls just like a cheap car.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts
Thumbs up

Add a roof rack

Old 10-19-2018, 01:25 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mind

- Tinted Taillight

If you want to turn it into a track car after it’s life as a civilian, ditch the 4wd. It’s a new car, maintenance isnt any different than a Toyota. An oil filter is $10usd. Oil is oil. Brake fluid is brake fluid etc. If you are concerned about maintenance on a daily driver, don’t take it to the track. Your expenses will quintuple, you’ll spend way more in tires your first year than you’ll spend in maintenance over 4years as a daily driver. Taking your car to the track is the opposite of keeping it neat, tidy and clean. Lol. Service is only as good as the person working on your vehicle.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:31 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The base car is a great car. would opt out the bose and pdcc if money is a concern. I have the base stereo and they are more than fine for everyday use... and its a porsche, so you want to be listening to the sound of your exhaust way more than the crappy car speakers (compared to a home stereo setup)

PDCC you will get different opinions, but i seriously doubt you would ever have a good use for it. IMO these modern cars even as stripper are rarely pushed to their limits

also sports chrono is pretty useless as mentioned above, same with LCA <- with properly adjusted mirrors u should never need this.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:47 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Not very familiar with the .2 but here is my advice from thinking of getting a new .2 and time spent on the configurator. I opted for a used .1 that appeared with in right config for me.

If your going to spend 150k I’d opt for the 4S and skip the burmiester. Get the 18 way seats instead (a must) and trim some of the base car options your thinking about. Not a fan of the glass sunroof looks wise and Pdcc is for serious tracking. Maybe I’d kill the expense light package too. 150k for a base seems over the top. There are used twin turbos near that price range.

The .2 base is a pretty nice car. However I would regret the base only for missing pasm, bigger brakes and 4 wheel steering.

At 150k for me I’d be looking at a used twin turbo or a GT3.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

OP, either 4 or 4S would be great. I had the first ever 911 C4 (964 series) in Alaska, and it was almost unstoppable in winter--just get really good tires, like Nokians with studs.

For track use, I would skip the glass roof (and any sunroof). Solid roofs save weight and look more "track serious".
Old 10-21-2018, 01:00 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Why buy new? If you buy used you can buy a 4S with all the options you want.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:53 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

If you're planning to winter drive and want PDK there are tons (by Canadian standards) of used 991's that would be far more affordable. PDK AWD models usually come well spec'd.

If and when I replace my daily driver I'll do exactly that and run two 911's

Quick Reply: WTB Carrera 991 Carrera 4 or 4S also Maintanance & Winter Questions