Sponsored by:

How To Drive in a DE

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Default How To Drive in a DE

Summit Point, Riesentoter Instructor group. Two GT4s both running track alignment and Hoosiers. Two very experienced drivers. I'm giving a point bye at the beginning. Note giving and taking point byes by the other drivers and ourselves.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Video and track look cool! Scenery is awesome. Car looks planted and well driven. [Not sure what I was supposed to be looking for, though. Just some driving?]

-td
Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Did not see a point by at 0:14 or 4:22. Other than that it seems point bys are given early with minimal lifting to expedite the pass.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:53 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi Bill, looks like fun. A quick Q (not criticism) - you seem comfortable with 10-2 hands, with variations in different corners. Curious about your preference for this.

But I'm just watching, not driving your car

Cheers

Matt
Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I've been one of the fastest cars in my group and when driving a 944 I have been one of the slowest. The goal is always to have as little disruption as possible to everyone so good job with that group.

I love driving Summit - great track. When there are no deer around, that is.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:32 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi Bill, looks like fun. A quick Q (not criticism) - you seem comfortable with 10-2 hands, with variations in different corners. Curious about your preference for this.

But I'm just watching, not driving your car

Cheers

Matt
I like to have my fingers wrapped around the wheel and the GT4 steering wheel needs to be held at 10-2 to achieve that. Being a "Senior", I have a variety of hand and shoulder ailments and occasionally shuffle steer to help.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:00 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Being a "Senior", I have a variety of hand and shoulder ailments and occasionally shuffle steer to help.
You drive like you stole it, some senior, Bill. Can't wait to get back in the car with you.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Great thread, good awareness and good technique in the car!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

When I give a point-by, unless I know the car behind me has way more power than I have, I ease off the gas for a brief second making the pass go smoothly. Last week I was driving with a number of relatively new drivers, all of us were in similarly powered cars. The point-by's were given while all of them continued full-throttle making passing a little dicey on the short straight we had. They were all solo.

I didn't want to be the complainer afterwards - but would I have been correct in telling them to ease off a bit? Or is it accepted that a drag race should occur? I could catch them easily in the corners, but passing in the straights was no picnic given the cars were similarly powered. The one car that passed me was very appreciative I didn't try to drag race him afterwards.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:53 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

I've been criticized for this but if I give a point bye to a car thats the same speed as me or faster in the straight, I stay on the gas but lift early in the brake zone and tuck in behind. When I'm instructing in a car faster than the one pointed bye I ask the student to lift. I sometimes see a Cup car or two chasing each other approaching a corner and I yield the line and point them by inside and leave room. I hate it when I catch a Turbo who kills my momentum and floors it on exit.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:44 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Me and a buddy made a similar video with twice the video fun:
Old 10-20-2018, 09:34 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

I hate it when I catch a Turbo who kills my momentum and floors it on exit.
Welcome to my world; with 121hp and a good-handling chassis it does happen, sometimes resulting in a black flag for the offending party especially if he/she is ignoring multiple blues.

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 10-20-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:41 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

I've been criticized for this but if I give a point bye to a car thats the same speed as me or faster in the straight, I stay on the gas but lift early in the brake zone and tuck in behind. When I'm instructing in a car faster than the one pointed bye I ask the student to lift. I sometimes see a Cup car or two chasing each other approaching a corner and I yield the line and point them by inside and leave room. I hate it when I catch a Turbo who kills my momentum and floors it on exit.
As you should. In school we were taught to facilitate the pass as quickly as possible. That way there is a chance for the passing car to get on line again instead of staying off line and slowing both cars down (if done your way).
Old 10-20-2018, 12:29 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Being very pro active helps and see them coming behind you from afar. You should know 1-2 corners ahead of time that someone is going to pass you.

If I am being passed I will try to make it happen so I lose the least amount of time. This often means point by early so they can stay on in throttle and lift early as needed. This also enables me to facilitate the pass with a tiny lift.

The biggest challenges occur if you don't point by early and cause the car behind you to lose momentum coupled with a late lift towards breaking zone when he has already given up on pass. Now you both overslow, lose a lot of time and make the pass risky.

When I am passing and I don't know you I might not take a late pass as I deem you not predictable. I don't want to risk you turning into me.
If you are not giving early point by I will likely flash my light at you next time I am coming up to you as obviously there is something wrong with your mirror and you need some "extra awareness help"
Old 10-20-2018, 12:30 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Great Vid. Thanks for posting and making me want to track even more now. lol

Quick Reply: How To Drive in a DE