Durametric Issues and Over-rev Report Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:54 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Durametric Issues and Over-rev Report Question

1. Durametric issue/question with GT4:

I own a Durametric Enthusiast cable which is not certified to work on a GT4 but it has worked in the past for me to reset service reminders and to run an over-rev report. A couple of months ago I tried to use it and updated the firmware, and now it does not work. I called Durametric and got "it is not certified to work on that vehicle" and "you can't roll back firmware" so I am SOL. I will likely just sell the cable because there is not outlook that it will ever work again...

Has anyone recently used a Durametric on a GT4 and found it to work?

2. Over-rev report question:

I recently had my GT4 serviced at an good Indy shop because I currently can't reset reminders. While it was there, I had them run a DME over-rev out of curiosity since I did a track event this year and I wanted to see if that changed the report at all. The report was all good (zero over-revs) but it was different than what I am used to. The report only had Range 1 and 2 not Ranges 1-6 like I have seen posted in numerous threads and like what my Durametric showed when I first had it working as shown in the image below from December 2016. The Indy told me that that is how they are output now (2 Ranges). I see on the Durametric sight that describes the reporting function, that only 2 Ranges are shown: http://www.durametric.com/usedporschebuyersguide.aspx It describes a simpler system with 2 ranges where essentially Range 1 is okay, and Range 2 is a problem.

So is Range 1 & 2 just the way Durametric now reports over-revs, or is model based, or just a new system all together? If I were to take my car to dealer and have them run a report on a PIWIS would it be listed as Range 1 & 2 or 1-6? This is all just my curiosity but I am hoping someone here is more knowledgeable on the subject.

My old example with Durametric from 2016:

Old 10-10-2018, 08:17 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

I recently bought one, not sure which firmware, but it does give a range 1-6 report.
It didn't reset the oil reminders though, I'm going to try them again individually.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
I recently bought one, not sure which firmware, but it does give a range 1-6 report.
It didn't reset the oil reminders though, I'm going to try them again individually.
I will be watching this thread closely. If my durametric is not a good option for my GT4 I won’t plug it in as I may as well save the VIN use.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Older porsches only had two levels defined. Maybe it's confused somehow...
Old 10-11-2018, 01:27 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine also shows 6 levels of over-rev.

Which firmware version are you on now?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:08 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d00d
If you have a chance to check your firmware version that would be helpful. Are you able to run a "Short Test"? There has been an issue recognized by Durametric where the test will fail. For me it is every time it gets to the Sports Chrono Module, which my vehicle does not have. If I could get past the short test I think I could run an over-rev and reset service reminders.

If I remember correctly, service resets are under: Instrument Cluster --> Commands.

Originally Posted by aryork
Older porsches only had two levels defined. Maybe it's confused somehow...
When my Durametric worked it was showing 6 Ranges. The only report I have seen with 2 Ranges was from my Indy and I am not sure what tool they use.

Originally Posted by speedy974
Mine also shows 6 levels of over-rev.

Which firmware version are you on now?
I need to plug it in again and check. I did not take note when I did the update. It has also been a couple months so maybe there is a newer firmware.

When was the last time you used yours? If you can post your firmware version that would be helpful.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:14 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

Too bad there inst something else . Rosstech for VW/Audi is an excellent product with good support. I have found Durametric weak/poor for support or information. carl
Old 10-11-2018, 09:01 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I am running version 6.5.2.0 and I can reset the service indicators on both the 2016 981 spyder and the 2017 macan S.

I have not tried 6.5.5.9 yet but may soon on another laptop before I overwrite my good one.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Keep in mind you must use the cable they sell but to be able to reset my service lights on both the Porsches is worth the $350 one time fee.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:08 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
I am running version 6.5.2.0 and I can reset the service indicators on both the 2016 981 spyder and the 2017 macan S.

I have not tried 6.5.5.9 yet but may soon on another laptop before I overwrite my good one.
If 6.5.2.0 is working for you I would recommend to not update the software until you know it is bug free. Edit: Testing on another laptop is a possible work around but also be careful about firmware updates it might force on the cable that might make it incompatible with the earlier software on your other laptop. I don't know for sure if this can actually happen but it is a risk.

I have not plugged the cable in again yet to check the firmware but I checked the PC software and I currently have 6.5.5.5. That is the version that was locking up midway through the Short Test.

I do have some promising news however... You guys inspired me to reach out to Durametric again and support sent me a link to a newer version that has some chance of working. That software version is 6.5.5.11. It is still does not officially support 2016 cars but if they have fixed the Short Test bug then I have hope it will work as it did when I first purchased it. I will provide an update this weekend when I have time to test it...
Old 10-12-2018, 07:57 PM
speedy974
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Durametric 6.5.5.4 installed. As a matter of fact, short test never went through for me, I always test module by module.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:09 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedy974
I have Durametric 6.5.5.4 installed. As a matter of fact, short test never went through for me, I always test module by module.
The Short Test failure is definitely a software bug. It used to work in 2016 for me and support confirmed it is a known issue which I assume is effecting even supported vehicles.

I also have a problem where I can't test individual modules. That might actually be a cable hardware issue. Support offered to test my cable of it persists with the latest software. I hope to test it later today.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:01 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

I have great news! The software version 5.5.5.11 works like a champ. I hooked it up to my GT4 and received a message to update the cable firmware. After the update, it worked well and and all of my previous problems are resolved. I was able to run a Short Test and it successfully completed. I checked the over-run status and it worked. It reports 6 ranges as discussed earlier. I still don't understand why my Indy gave me a report with only 2 ranges but in any case I had a perfectly clean report. I did not try resetting any service reminders but they all showed as available. I just don't have any to clear so I can't test it.

If anyone is having trouble with their Durametric or hesitant to use up a VIN, I would recommend the latest software 5.5.5.11 without hesitation at this point. It looks like the latest official release is still 5.5.5.9 on the support page. I can PM anyone the link to the "beta" software download if they want it. Or you can contact support directly...

Short Test:

Service Reset Window:

Over-run Report:

After my 2 track days I thought for sure I would at least have a Range 1 over-rev but it is completely clean. I revved to about 8k a few times (as indicated on the RPM gauge) holding gears before entering corners but I never hit the fuel cutoff at any time. I figured that would show as a Range 1 based on rev ranges for other vehicles but I guess the GT4 has higher limits. I am not complaining. Maybe I am just slow
Old 02-04-2019, 07:56 PM
ciopyk987s
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi sonorus,
I found this thread as I had just purchased a Durametric Enthusiast version to primarily view the over-rev report on my 2015 Cayman GTS. I noticed that my report looked just like yours (No over-revs listed and the production number was blank). I contacted Durametric and they asked me to create a log of me accessing the CPU information on my car. I sent them the log and they let me know that while they can confirm that the Durametric system is communicating with my car, the car is not reporting any over-rev information, They asked if I had the ECU tuned or replaced, and I have not (stock as it came from the factory).

I will let you know what I hear back from Durametric.

Mike C.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ciopyk987s
...I will let you know what I hear back from Durametric.

Mike C.
Looking forward to hearing what they say...thanks!

Quick Reply: Durametric Issues and Over-rev Report Question