Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Difference in note/sound between center muffler bypass systems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 04:09 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Difference in note/sound between center muffler bypass systems?

Has anyone noticed/experience with the difference exhaust note from different center bypass systems? I've had an X pipe that made a glorious sound at full cry, and also raised volume at more normal revs, but often resulted in a lower 'quality' sound at regular driving/slow acceleration. It resonated in the back of the cabin and a slight vibration-ish sound from interior panels was noticeable.
Will, for example, a Sharwerks system do the same?
I mean, the mezger sound is glorious by itself, but can be should sculpted 'high quality' like the OEM system, or a less 'quality' sound like straight pipes.
I'm looking for a bit more volume at regular driving but still with a quality of sound.

Makes sense?
Old 09-22-2018, 01:09 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Makes sense!

Here’s mine:

View this post on Instagram
Old 09-22-2018, 01:37 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Sweet!
I've found lots of video, but it's hard to translate that to the sound in the driver's seat driving around.
Can you recognize what I'm talking about in regards to quality of sound and resonance in the interior?
Old 09-22-2018, 03:21 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

the more I read a LOT of guys prefer the side muffler delete vs center muffler delete

better sound and lose more weight
The following 2 users liked this post by pissedpuppy:
fijibubba (07-23-2021), Robocop305 (07-18-2021)
Old 09-22-2018, 03:31 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
the more I read a LOT of guys prefer the side muffler delete vs center muffler delete

Yea, that seems to be true. Only thing I would point out. Side deletes have a drone spot at cruising speed. And eventually it will blow out the center OEM muffler.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:36 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

No go for me. That will delete the exhaust valves, which I need to be able to force closed at trackdays.
Drone is also no-go for me due to long motorway/autobahn stints to the ring

Center delete is my way, but I need to figure if I will get better medium range sounds with fx Sharkwerks vs the more-or-less no brand X pipe I got now
Old 09-22-2018, 06:39 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

You can of course use velvet side deletes, there are a number of manufacturers that offer them. I thought of trying them with my stock center, or with my FVD/M&M center bypass. There's lots of info on cracked OEM center, mostly tracking I think. You can get OEM center reinforced to prevent this.
The TPC valved sides retain the flexible upper area of the pipes. Seems like originally they used the factory looking bellows for flexibility, which I think would help-they seem to have switched to a steel braided style flexible section, perhaps the hardware is easier to attain/manufacture than the bellows style, who knows.
I too sometimes want a very loud sound from time to time but have settled on the center bypass, with carnewal remote switch which lets you control the valves and keep them open or closed.

I'd like to know what these rallye guys have been running-the sound is intoxicating-I already have 2 very loud motorcycles with open pipes(two stroke triple 750 with chambers and stingers ) so valved sides with FVD center might be close to what they have. Does a valved side with center bypass make a difference with valves activated? There was a reenlister in Puerto Rico that tried it (Rick930 I think is his member name, but his videos didn't show enough to make a decision imo-

Rallye:

Carnewal:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...Manual-Control
Old 09-23-2018, 11:47 AM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I am very happy with my RSS center delete. Great quality and the tip design makes the car sound like F1 at 7K rpm range. My only beef is with the way factory valve works under the Sport condition, but it's an easy fix with a remote in cabin switch.. perhaps I'll get around to it this winter while the car is asleep.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:45 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Bovien, My wife & I just went through this exact same evaluation with our 997.2 GT3.
reference: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ilter-wet.html

We started out just disconnecting the valve solenoid to keep the valves open 100% of the time, because we both HATED the on/off opening/closing at odd 3k / 4k moments while driving. Horrible vacuum related logic.

Anyway,... at that point, we definitely preferred the full open valves all-the-time sound, BUT there were moments in certain gears, while just cruising down the highway, at certain rpm spots, where drone entered the cabin. Did not like that.

So we moved to the SharkWerks center bypass, and now LOVE IT throughout the range, PLUS were surprised that it actually eliminated the drone at those low rpm cruise moments. We only have a couple hrs in it though, so we're still in "eval" mode, but so far we're happy.

Now, neither of our ears hear a drone, AND we have a much better overall sound.

Our NEXT step is to move to a on/off switch, so that we can use the valves again. I hate the fact that I've eliminated the usefullness of the valves (thinking of neighbors at 6am on weekends when we head out early). So I want them operational again soon (as you do, but for different reasons I guess).

So that's our experience. But now if someone could point me in the direction of the on/off switch mod that converts the valves from using the vacuum solenoid, I need it.
I've seen it referenced, but have no idea who makes it, nor who sells it.
TIA!!!

Oh, Btw, I do indeed have a WOT video clip from BEFORE I did the SW bypass,.. and hope to find a nice sunny day to make the same video again (same place), now that we have it modified. Comparison video.
Coming soon, stay tuned.

=Steve
Old 09-23-2018, 05:32 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
So that's our experience. But now if someone could point me in the direction of the on/off switch mod that converts the valves from using the vacuum solenoid, I need it.
TIA!!!

=Steve
Carnewal sells the remote you are looking for. The remote can be configured in two ways. The first keeps the valves either fully closed or fully open. The second allows stock operation of the valves (e.g, opens at 3.5 or 4.5k depending on if sport button is pressed) or keeps the valves always open.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:38 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I had a few center deletes with sides still on

ended up settling on akrapovic sport cup....zero drone

sounds incredible
Old 09-23-2018, 11:50 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
Carnewal sells the remote you are looking for. The remote can be configured in two ways. The first keeps the valves either fully closed or fully open. The second allows stock operation of the valves (e.g, opens at 3.5 or 4.5k depending on if sport button is pressed) or keeps the valves always open.
Thanks Boosted.

Went to the Carnewal product description. http://www.carnewal.com/products/997...Manual-Control
Belgium. $175 Euro / $205 US

The pic showing the parts included in the kit are not clear. Does anyone have the installation instructions? I'd like to read those. Says 10 min install, totally reversible without a trace, and no skills needed (Lol).

Found this morning...
JB911 has a good description of how to plug in the Carnewal system in Post # 6 here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...s-at-idle.html

Sorry to hyjack your thread Bovien,.. but it sounds like this Carnewal system from Gert would give you the ability to close the valves for your low Db track days.

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 09-24-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:36 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by noro78
I am very happy with my RSS center delete. Great quality and the tip design makes the car sound like F1 at 7K rpm range. My only beef is with the way factory valve works under the Sport condition, but it's an easy fix with a remote in cabin switch.. perhaps I'll get around to it this winter while the car is asleep.
Thanks a bunch. My "design tek" sounds great as well, but I have a hard time to do a reference as I don't have any other 997.2 gt3's around with swapped center boxes. I have a feeling, that the sound inside the car can be bettered without the rear of the interior resonating resonating at high revs WOT. And its an expensive test to buy a setup home from abroad and finde the issue is more or less the same.

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Bovien, My wife & I just went through this exact same evaluation with our 997.2 GT3.
reference: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ilter-wet.html

We started out just disconnecting the valve solenoid to keep the valves open 100% of the time, because we both HATED the on/off opening/closing at odd 3k / 4k moments while driving. Horrible vacuum related logic.
Anyway,... at that point, we definitely preferred the full open valves all-the-time sound, BUT there were moments in certain gears, while just cruising down the highway, at certain rpm spots, where drone entered the cabin. Did not like that.
So we moved to the SharkWerks center bypass, and now LOVE IT throughout the range, PLUS were surprised that it actually eliminated the drone at those low rpm cruise moments. We only have a couple hrs in it though, so we're still in "eval" mode, but so far we're happy.
Now, neither of our ears hear a drone, AND we have a much better overall sound.
Our NEXT step is to move to a on/off switch, so that we can use the valves again. I hate the fact that I've eliminated the usefullness of the valves (thinking of neighbors at 6am on weekends when we head out early). So I want them operational again soon (as you do, but for different reasons I guess).
TIA!!!
Oh, Btw, I do indeed have a WOT video clip from BEFORE I did the SW bypass,.. and hope to find a nice sunny day to make the same video again (same place), now that we have it modified. Comparison video.
Coming soon, stay tuned.
=Steve
Sweet Steve. I had the same feeling when I installed the x pipe I have now. But after a while, I started to miss the more docile quality sound of the OEM, I switched back. Now I miss the volume below the 4k, and I'm feeling there must a best of both worlds.
In regards to you valve issue, there is the possibility of doing the "laguna seca trick" where you simply bypass the switch in the engine bay and connect two vaccum hoses. Its a 30 sec operation, but that won't allow you to switch from inside the car. It must be quite easy to just add a 12v swich to the wires from the switch itself, but I have never gotten around to actually doing that. I'm guessing it is the same the product mentioned below does at a higher cost.

Originally Posted by Izzone
I had a few center deletes with sides still on

ended up settling on akrapovic sport cup....zero drone

sounds incredible
Gussing you would brake the 95db limit we have at most trackdays here?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:12 AM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

I've had both GMG and Sharkwerks center bypasses on two different 997.1 GT3s. Due to mid-range drone, I ended up removing the GMG and replacing it with the stock center muffler on the first car. The second car had the Sharkwerks bypass installed upon purchase, but I received a stock center muffler with the second car. I planned to remove the Sharkwerks bypass based on my experience with the GMG, but, over a year later, I have (and will) not. There is no noticeable drone with the Sharkwerks unit and the sound is intoxicating. Anecdotally, there seem to be some meaningful variations in center bypass options.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-18-2021)
Old 09-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy

Delete pipes fall into two camps: side delete or center delete.
If weight reduction is more important... side delete drops ~40 lbs, center delete drops ~12 lbs.
For reducing heat retention around the area of the ignition coils and valve covers side delete is will do that.
Sound preference is subjective, side delete produce a deeper note, center delete produce a more screamer note, some driver prefer one over the other, personally I think they both sound good in their own way.

Recently my GT3 got rear ended, my car has side deletes and OEM center muffler, the center in this incident took some of the impact to save my engine.

Quick Reply: Difference in note/sound between center muffler bypass systems?