Sponsored by:

Driving impressions .2 GT3RS vs. 1. GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts
Default Driving impressions .2 GT3RS vs. 1. GT3RS

Ok. Took delivery Saturday. Its gorgeous. See pics and vid above. Oh, that's right...can't post any pics. Oh well.
Anyway did some driving yesterday. About 150 miles. Back roads and highway.

.2GT3RS impressions:

Exhaust: Louder when valves open. Sounds wicked.

Inside sound: Very RS like. Mechanical sounds. A lot. More of it or shall I say it's clearer and not as muffled.

Electronics. Love the back up camera. Other than that basic RS fair.

Engine: Revs/spins a little faster and quicker on acceleration. Overall acceleration to legal speeds about the same. Acceleration
response immediate. Didn't take it beyond 5000 rpm and only went to 5000 once.

Power: Feels like it has a little more torque. Maybe I'm just imagining I can feel it but it may be due to what I perceive to be a spinier engine. .

Steering input: Very direct and immediate. You don't steer it. You point it. More so than .1RS for sure. Makes my son's M4 feel squishy and numb in steering response by comparison.

Tracking corners and turning: Its a beast. Just look where you want to go and it is already going there. My son is a great driver. Turning Continental Challenge times at Lime Rock in our Boss TA car and running 1:12 to 1:13's at LIghting at NJMP. He drove it and commented "It's a beast...I could likely turn 1:10's at lighting in this all day".

Shifting: Holy cow! The PDK is very improved. Don't know how they did it. Quicker and more "sharp" with louder more aural violent "fuchs" (is that a word???? Not sure but Henry Cathpole used it in his review and he is dead on!) on both up and downshifts. Sounds like a sequential now.

Suspension: Definitely "firmer" but not harsh … at least not when not on "sport" mode for suspension. Didn't put "sport" on. Tracks relentlessly flat. Does not want to give up the ghost even when you start to push hard.

Brakes: I got the PCCB's. They squeak at times. My others didn't... strange.

Aesthetics: When you put the .1 GT3RS and .2 GT3RS side by side which we did at the dealer when picking mine up the differences are immediately noticeable. Front is more sharp and aggressive with more black venting/trim to direct the air. Looks more aggressive than .1RS which looks softer and rounder when side by side. The venting on fenders, NACA ducts and side vents (side vents definitely larger) give the car a very aggressive look. When driving I love how you can see the front louvers now. Looks very GT3R both from outside and behind the wheel. Can make believe I'm Patrick Long.

Overall...Love the car. Definitely a step on from the .1GT3RS in overall package.

Last edited by Waxer; 09-17-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

good comparison. I pick mine up at end of week, so will be able to add more thoughts at that time. I put in 8000 miles on my .1 RS, so will notice a lot of differences (if any) as well. Enjoy and congrats...do you miss Lava?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Disden: I did miss LO until I picked up Lil' Red.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:24 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review Waxer, totally spot on!
Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks Waxer, any changes to the Circuit or track mode setting up PSI?
Still minimum 26PSI required? Still no tire temps?
Anything else electronic?
Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Pete: Didn’t get that far. Will check it out and report back tonight if I have time.
👍
Old 09-17-2018, 03:41 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

TPMS stuff is the same. You can still set the target PSI in race mode with the TPMS. No tire temps still.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:06 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

Great write up and glad you are happy with the car.

quote:"Tracking corners and turning: Its a beast. Just look where you want to go and it is already going there. My son is a great driver. Turning Continental Challenge times at Lime Rock in our Boss TA car and running 1:12 to 1:13's at LIghting at NJMP. He drove it and commented "It's a beast...I could likely turn 1:10's at lighting in this all day". "

Let me know when you take it to NJMP and I'll meet up with you. I am sure you and your son are good/great drivers but 1:10's on Lightning in a stock RS, ? I would bet against it and bet big.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:18 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RobbieRob

quote:"Tracking corners and turning: Its a beast. Just look where you want to go and it is already going there. My son is a great driver. Turning Continental Challenge times at Lime Rock in our Boss TA car and running 1:12 to 1:13's at LIghting at NJMP. He drove it and commented "It's a beast...I could likely turn 1:10's at lighting in this all day". "

Let me know when you take it to NJMP and I'll meet up with you. I am sure you and your son are good/great drivers but 1:10's on Lightning in a stock RS, ? I would bet against it and bet big.
Ha! Know someone who will volunteer their .2 RS for the taste test?
He is running in the high 57's low 58's at Lime Rock.

I know we are at the Glen next week. Not sure when we are back at Lightinig. Were they last week. Rained cats and dogs all weekend. Didn't even unload the cars.
Will let you know though. Go with HOD and NASA.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:29 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Ha! Know someone who will volunteer their .2 RS for the taste test?
He is running in the high 57's low 58's at Lime Rock.

I know we are at the Glen next week. Not sure when we are back at Lightinig. Were they last week. Rained cats and dogs all weekend. Didn't even unload the cars.
Will let you know though. Go with HOD and NASA.
Yeah, the weather in our area has been horrible, all summer it was hit or miss.
Cool, good luck to him up at Glen.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:27 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob

I do 1:09s at Lightning, 56s at LR and 2:00 min flat at WGI in a 991.1 GT3. So it's definitely not a stretch for a 991.2 RS
Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3 Jockey
I do 1:09s at Lightning, 56s at LR and 2:00 min flat at WGI in a 991.1 GT3. So it's definitely not a stretch for a 991.2 RS
Wow. That is cooking!!!! Great driving.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Sorry Waxer did you you get Weissach Pack or No? I get mine in one week and I am losing my mind, never been so excited for a car in my life!
Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race7117
Sorry Waxer did you you get Weissach Pack or No? I get mine in one week and I am losing my mind, never been so excited for a car in my life!
No WP. Congrats on yours. Color?
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

See post 2 of official photo thread. Mine is same outside spec. Still can’t post pics.

Quick Reply: Driving impressions .2 GT3RS vs. 1. GT3RS