Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Any GT3 owners' experience with 458?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:38 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts
Default OT: Any GT3 owners' experience with 458?

Likely just kicking tires, but starting to look at getting into a 2013-2015 458 Italia or Spider and considering trading the GT3 in for it (btw in any scenario I'll be facing a big loss on the GT3 after ADM/sales tax so feel free to label me as a flipper but this guy's conscious is clear, not trying to do this route to make any money or profit into a different car @ MSRP). Always lusted after Pininfarina's last mid-engined V8 Ferrari design which I thought was unobtainable for a guy like me. Also I'm not a fan of Porsche for the moment as a whole, nor my experience for routine servicing/dealing with the US dealers. Ironically enough Ferrari seems to want to earn my business which I understand could likely change or turn on a dime, but still refreshing nonetheless. Not interested in a Speciale or a 488, simply because the 458 is the car that looks the most beautiful to my eyes (not simply because of NA vs Turbo). Doesn't hurt that the latter is in the 200-240 range either vs north of 280-300 for the former

Two entirely different beasts of course, but the 458 might actually suit my use case better since I don't track and my main driving pleasures are going up the PCH, ACH, Malibu canyons, and road trips up to SF/Bay Area and back. I'm aware of the horror stories with the early MY years of the 458 engine/crankshaft, but still entirely new to the world of Ferrari ownership

I am quite fearful of buying a Ferrari out of warranty but understand that they offer 1-2 year Power Warranties you can purchase @ $4-5k per year which is a tough pill to swallow, but gives you peace of mind. Heard a couple stories of the transmission boxes failing/having issues which is apparently $18-20k per on FerrariChat if you don't have the warranty.

Also unsure of Spider vs Italia, leaning towards Spider of course but worried about rattles/complication from the roof and not seeing the engine is a bit of a bummer since I literally just spent 30 minutes staring at the V8 in a 488 GTB

Also trying to understand the must have options, but right now I am enjoying the search for a 458 Spider in Silver/Grey/Blue and looking for race seats, hifi system, AFS, Scuderia shields, yellow calipers, silver wheels, CF/LED steering wheel, and rear camera.

Leaving the reliability/durability of the GT3 to get into an Fcar is quite scary with $200-240k of your own hard earned money if (or when) something goes wrong, which as of right now I am anticipating/trying to expect and prepare for. But I have heard that the 458 was a big jump in reliability over the F430. It's not a decision I'm going to make overnight but just do my due diligence and get some perspective on what I might be getting myself into. There is a likelihood I stick with the GT3 and that's the way I'm leaning, but I still can't deny the allure of the 458 for me personally.

Trying to focus on the potential pitfalls and negatives of Ferrari ownership as I can already see the huge *** grin on my face if I have the top down on a beautiful sunny SoCal day with the engine screaming, and just seeing a couple examples recently the blood was flowing and you can see the emotion/passion behind the cars. A real sense of occasion.... Plus I'd start rooting for Scuderia Ferrari and join the Tifosi

Any owners with Ferrari ownership experience - your input/opinion would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well if you prefer
Old 09-15-2018, 09:45 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Arghhhhhh don’t do it!

ok the 458 is one of my faves Italian mistress but I can’t cheat on my German girlfriends. But you can’t go wrong with that NA v8 lord does it sound lovely

Sad to see another GT3 on the chopping blocks
Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Likely just kicking tires, but starting to look at getting into a 2013-2015 458 Italia or Spider and considering trading the GT3 in for it (btw in any scenario I'll be facing a big loss on the GT3 after ADM/sales tax so feel free to label me as a flipper but this guy's conscious is clear, not trying to do this route to make any money or profit into a different car @ MSRP). Always lusted after Pininfarina's last mid-engined V8 Ferrari design which I thought was unobtainable for a guy like me. Also I'm not a fan of Porsche for the moment as a whole, nor my experience for routine servicing/dealing with the US dealers. Ironically enough Ferrari seems to want to earn my business which I understand could likely change or turn on a dime, but still refreshing nonetheless. Not interested in a Speciale or a 488, simply because the 458 is the car that looks the most beautiful to my eyes (not simply because of NA vs Turbo). The trade across the Italian border.

Two entirely different beasts of course, but the 458 might actually suit my use case better since I don't track and my main driving pleasures are going up the PCH, ACH, Malibu canyons, and road trips up to SF/Bay Area and back. I'm aware of the horror stories with the early MY years of the 458 engine/crankshaft, but still entirely new to the world of Ferrari ownership

I am quite fearful of buying a Ferrari out of warranty but understand that they offer 1-2 year Power Warranties you can purchase @ $4-5k per year which is a tough pill to swallow, but gives you peace of mind. Heard a couple stories of the transmission boxes failing/having issues which is apparently $18-20k per on FerrariChat if you don't have the warranty.

Also unsure of Spider vs Italia, leaning towards Spider of course but worried about rattles/complication from the roof and not seeing the engine is a bit of a bummer since I literally just spent 30 minutes staring at the V8 in a 488 GTB

Also trying to understand the must have options, but right now I am enjoying the search for a 458 Spider in Silver/Grey/Blue and looking for race seats, hifi system, AFS, Scuderia shields, yellow calipers, silver wheels, CF/LED steering wheel, and rear camera.

Leaving the reliability/durability of the GT3 to get into an Fcar is quite scary with $200-240k of your own hard earned money if (or when) something goes wrong, which as of right now I am anticipating/trying to expect and prepare for. But I have heard that the 458 was a big jump in reliability over the F430. It's not a decision I'm going to make overnight but just do my due diligence and get some perspective on what I might be getting myself into. There is a likelihood I stick with the GT3 and that's the way I'm leaning, but I still can't deny the allure of the 458 for me personally.

Trying to focus on the potential pitfalls and negatives of Ferrari ownership as I can already see the huge *** grin on my face if I have the top down on a beautiful sunny SoCal day with the engine screaming, and just seeing a couple examples recently the blood was flowing and you can see the emotion/passion behind the cars. A real sense of occasion.... Plus I'd start rooting for Scuderia Ferrari and join the Tifosi

Any owners with ownership experience of the 458 - your input/opinion would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well if you prefer
I actually traded my 2016 RS for the Spyder I’ve always loved the 458, and I’m a big fan of the V8 in the 458 which revs to 9k it’s insane. Not as fast as the 488, but I’m not a big fan of turbos and you can always get one vs. V8’s at 9k will be a thing of the past. The 458 you can have fun at any speed because it sounds amazing a low RPM because of the torque band.

The 458 looks in my opinion are killer, and the Spyder top up or down is gorgeous. It come with the 7 year warranty which saves you 2k a year as they change all the fluids and some other stuff. (5 hour job) Yes the optional warranty is about 4500 per year if you opt for it. I’ve had the 458 for close to a year, and it’s amazin every time I start it up ...it’s a long term keeper at this point I like it that much. Now with the said I have a new RS arriving November which I dive the RS like a hooligan ...........good luck with your choice.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:03 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by neurotic
Arghhhhhh don’t do it!

ok the 458 is one of my faves Italian mistress but I can’t cheat on my German girlfriends. But you can’t go wrong with that NA v8 lord does it sound lovely

Sad to see another GT3 on the chopping blocks
Unfortunately I'm not too happy with PCNA and Porsche to the extent that I don't know if I want to be driving their products/supporting the brand anymore, and/or maybe they just don't want me as a customer! Not a good feeling having to "put up" with the dealers in my markets for a luxury purchase/experience, especially for this kind of $. Don't like what the company is turning into and the direction they are heading across the board, with the GT cars being the last of the cars I'd want and also conveniently by far the most painful purchasing experience to date which is only to likely get worse.

Originally Posted by Maverick787

I actually traded my 2016 RS for the Spyder I’ve always loved the 458, and I’m a big fan of the V8 in the 458 which revs to 9k it’s insane. Not as fast as the 488, but I’m not a big fan of turbos and you can always get one vs. V8’s at 9k will be a thing of the past. The 458 you can have fun at any speed because it sounds amazing a low RPM because of the torque band.

The 458 looks in my opinion are killer, and the Spyder top up or down is gorgeous. It come with the 7 year warranty which saves you 2k a year as they change all the fluids and some other stuff. (5 hour job) Yes the optional warranty is about 4500 per year if you opt for it. I’ve had the 458 for close to a year, and it’s amazin every time I start it up ...it’s a long term keeper at this point I like it that much. Now with the said I have a new RS arriving November which I dive the RS like a hooligan ...........good luck with your choice.
Nice 458 Unfortunately no option to keep both the GT3 and get into the 458 because of both lack of that kind of disposable cash and lack of garage space. The 7 year warranty is the maintenance plan, but it won't cover things you'd want a warranty to cover especially for a Ferrari like faulty transmission. So for a 458 you'd need it to be certified pre-owned and then when that warranty expires you'd need the 4.5k/yr annual warranty plan purchased to keep the car covered from my understanding. If you had to choose one between the RS and the 458 which would you choose? Won't be the exact same as GT3 vs 458 but definitely the closest comparison.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:26 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Unfortunately I'm not too happy with PCNA and Porsche to the extent that I don't know if I want to be driving their products/supporting the brand anymore, and/or maybe they just don't want me as a customer! Not a good feeling having to "put up" with the dealers in my markets for a luxury purchase/experience, especially for this kind of $. Don't like what the company is turning into and the direction they are heading across the board, with the GT cars being the last of the cars I'd want and also conveniently by far the most painful purchasing experience to date which is only to likely get worse.

Nice 458 Unfortunately no option to keep both the GT3 and get into the 458 because of both lack of that kind of disposable cash and lack of garage space. The 7 year warranty is the maintenance plan, but it won't cover things you'd want a warranty to cover especially for a Ferrari like faulty transmission. So for a 458 you'd need it to be certified pre-owned and then when that warranty expires you'd need the 4.5k/yr annual warranty plan purchased to keep the car covered from my understanding. If you had to choose one between the RS and the 458 which would you choose? Won't be the exact same as GT3 vs 458 but definitely the closest comparison.
Well I would say hard choice, but I traded the RS for the 458 so if I could only have one of would be the 458. Love the option of hard top/vert ..........I’ve come to the conclusion I have time for 2 fun cars hence my choice landing with the 458, and the RS. I have several friends with 458’s and they have been bullet proof. I found a very clean perfect spec with 4500 miles always garaged with all service records. Also drove a MAC 720 fastest car I’ve driven but boring. Go drive it and see what you think, and if you’re not going to track the GT3 ......458 great car for the things you described ...I’m from So Cal originally so I get the canyon runs. Got lucky I sold the RS last December at the peak, and the 458’s have depreciated nicely but great car for what it does it’s gaining some attention. Again V8 going to 9k is unreal.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:28 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the 458 for the street and GT3 for the track. I haven't had any reliability issues with either. The $5k annual power warranty gets expensive, so you might be better off to save your money for the unlikely rainy day that you would need it. The 458 certainly gets more attention, for better or worse.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:30 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Barfly
I prefer the 458 for the street and GT3 for the track. I haven't had any reliability issues with either. The $5k annual power warranty gets expensive, so you might be better off to save your money for the unlikely rainy day that you would need it. The 458 certainly gets more attention, for better or worse.
‘agree on all points.

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Barfly
+1..well said

Old 09-15-2018, 11:00 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Thanks for the input so far guys, it's appreciated. I'm never on the track so that's also a pro for me getting into the 458 and out of the GT3, even though I do love driving the GT3 in any and all situations

The attention part I don't care about either, as I mind my own business for the most part and expect to be treated the same way. The 458 wouldn't be used in daily driving situations anyway. In LA not too big of a deal as well, I might even blend in for better or worse. It just looks beautiful, hard to describe the 458 any other way...

Do you guys have any input on Spider vs Italia? Lower mileage vs higher mileage? Obviously hunting for full service records but not many 458s seem to have them. Must have options?
Old 09-15-2018, 11:00 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I'll be interested to see what you do Sam. There have been several good recent threads here on Ferrari vs the GT3. Many guys have experience with both. I have always wanted a Ferrari too, since I was a little kid, and I am coming to the conclusion that every car lover should have an F car at some time in his life, for better or worse. Good luck!

Jim
Old 09-15-2018, 11:06 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

You're gonna love it
Better sound in the 90 deg V8, nicer interior, far less cargo space and very fine metallic paints for elegance.

In 2013 Ferrari started the new program; 7 years free maintenance, 3 years factory warranty
The 458 is extremely reliable, DSG is strong, but a few have had to change control arms which ends up being an assembly, parts are pricey

458s can be found in the $160k region

Last edited by Perimeter; 09-16-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:23 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Wow, I thought the GT3 was going to be the car you drove into the sunset! I recall the whole Euro delivery with your father experience etc. and how it would be ‘the one’. Care to share what Porsche AG could have done to change your views so drastically? Either way, you can’t go wrong with the 458, fantastic car all around!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 112 Posts

458 and don’t look back.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:55 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I'll be interested to see what you do Sam. There have been several good recent threads here on Ferrari vs the GT3. Many guys have experience with both. I have always wanted a Ferrari too, since I was a little kid, and I am coming to the conclusion that every car lover should have an F car at some time in his life, for better or worse. Good luck!

Jim
Totally with you - more curious/interested than ever making this jump into an Fcar. Kind of a life is short type of mentality and not happy with Porsche so thinking why not, but of course I have seen/heard of horror stories which would be unfortunate to experience moving on from an awesome car like a GT3. So just being careful/cautious and enjoying the hunt! Will update for sure either way, no need to do anything rash or anything soon

Originally Posted by Perimeter
You're gonna love it
Better sound in the 90 deg V8, nicer interior, far less cargo space and very fine metallic paints for elegance.

In 2013 Ferrari started the new program; 7 years free maintenance, 3 years factory warranty
The 458 is extremely reliable, DSG is strong, but a few have had to change control arms which ends up being an assembly, parts are pricey
Yeah seems like Ferrari trying hard to shake the expensive maintenance/ownership post-purchase expectation, just need to find the right spec (won't settle) and feel fully comfortable making the jump after doing more due diligence. Thanks for the input my friend...the car does look just breathtakingly stunning always has

Originally Posted by Akunob
Wow, I thought the GT3 was going to be the car you drove into the sunset! I recall the whole Euro delivery with your father experience etc. and how it would be ‘the one’. Care to share what Porsche AG could have done to change your views so drastically? Either way, you can’t go wrong with the 458, fantastic car all around!
Don't want to deviate too off topic as I kind of elaborated in the SS/Champion thread, but I am not a fan of how PCNA is deliberately keeping US dealers at arms length knowing full well the **** experience they are handing out to most customers, just take a look at the GT3 subforum these days. Meanwhile they are dangling GT carrots on a stick to said dealers to incentivize that type of greedy a$$ behavior. 992.1 GT3 from everywhere I've softly inquired told me big ADM if I'm lucky (already, with the car 3-4 years out) or **** off, while others have said already "all GT3 positions are spoken for." What? Servicing my GT3 too, not too fun, like pulling teeth even on regular routine service. Delays, lack of updates, just getting to me when they feel like it. It's just a huge degradation in quality/customer service across the board. They seem to be doing so well and so hyper focused on their bottom line they've forgotten about the customer. And I blame Porsche fully, so all I can do is take my business elsewhere. Not going to get bent over for a car or condone that type of treatment for me or anyone, I was even a willing ADM customer with the expectation of decent treatment but $15k got me simply the car and nothing else

Thankfully the euro delivery experience will stay with me forever, have the license plate framed and pics to last a lifetime it was the company and areas we saw/adventures we got into that made the trip, the car was just the icing on the cake

I'm also not 100% set moving on just yet, but starting to investigate the feasibility of a deal, find the right spec, and get fully informed on what 458 ownership would entail

Originally Posted by NSD991
458 and don’t look back.
Grazie
Old 09-16-2018, 12:14 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not going to compare cars, but are you sure you have a good understanding of the Ferrari buying and ownership experience? I was laughed at by the general manager of the local dealership when I wanted to buy a 488. They said it just wasn't going to happen for me since I'd never owned a Ferrari before. They would sell me a used 458 or a California, neither of which I was interested in. Especially after their attitude.

I ended up with a Huracan instead, and the buying and ownership experience with Lambo was absolutely amazing. What I learned from that community was that several people had had the same experience as me. I think Ferraris are fantastic cars, but if you're changing brands for the reasons you mentioned, it seems an odd choice of brand to switch to if you're looking for a better experience. From everything I've seen and heard, nobody plays more games, or are snootier or have more of what I would quite frankly call shady practices than Ferrari.
​​
​​​​​

Quick Reply: OT: Any GT3 owners' experience with 458?