Hoosier rep for PCA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Hoosier rep for PCA?

Hi,

Does anyone have the contact for a Hoosier rep that works with PCA, either for DE or club racing? I ordered two rear R7s from tire rack in late July and both of them failed with cracks in the rubber around the edges. One failed on the first heat cycle and the other failed on the second heat cycle, at two different events. I think about 10 qualified people have seen the tires and all have said "DO NOT DRIVE ON THESE", well except for Tire Rack that says they think they are good to go (??) and have advocated the same to Hoosier. Almost a month later and there is no movement. I don't feel like Tire Rack has my back on this. I even said that to the customer service rep and she replied "I don't know that we can right now". I think it makes sense to talk to Hoosier directly now.

Here are some pics, which don't exactly do the cracks justice. On the second tire they are showing around the edges of the tread on both the inside and outside, probably about 10-20 small cracks and then the big one on the inside. On the first tire, that went through just the one heat cycle, the crack goes around at least half the tire. Date code on both are 4417, so it's possible they saw some freezing. Anyway, not impressed with Tire Rack ATM.

Here's some pics:

Outside of first tire

Inside of second tire

Close up of inside of second tire

First tire

First tire, goes around more than half the tire.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:56 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Hoosier tire is a sponsor for PCA club racing, but there is not a rep for PCA that would deal with this type of problem. I would suggest contacting Hoosier directly to discuss the issues. 1- 574-784-3152 or www.HoosierTire.com

Aaron
Old 08-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I would just call. They will ask what tire and out you in touch with the right engineer. I think they are listed on their website as well. I've dealt with Jeff Spear a lot, but he's on the road a fair amount of time.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:36 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

I sent pics to someone I know over there. I'll post back here what he says.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I’ll give them a call, and I look forward to hearing what your contact thinks ShakeNBake
TireRack now wants to get at least one of the tires in to look at, but haven’t yet given me an RMA or the like.

-Erik
Old 08-21-2018, 03:42 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I wouldn't have accepted tires from TireRack in July 2018 with a date code of April 2017. More than a year old. Pretty disappointed they would sell these. These are not passenger car tires.
Like you, the first thing I thought when I saw those pictures was freeze damage. Even more disappointing.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I wouldn't have accepted tires from TireRack in July 2018 with a date code of April 2017. More than a year old. Pretty disappointed they would sell these. These are not passenger car tires.
Like you, the first thing I thought when I saw those pictures was freeze damage. Even more disappointing.
TireRack and others will sell them even if they are 3 years old. I now ask for build dates before purchasing.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:15 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone, and thanks for those that PM’d me the contact info. I’ll follow up, and let you know the outcome.

The date codes are for the first week in October, so about 9 months old.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

TireRack is taking the tires back, but they have some strange policies that make them less than ideal for supporting track cars. In this case they can’t pick up tires at the race shop where they delivered them. The rep I spoke to on the phone didn’t know exactly why that was a thing. They said they can only pick up at the billing address, which is a downtown condo more than an hour away from where the car is stored. I was able to work with a second rep on a workable alternative, so that’s good.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
TireRack is taking the tires back, but they have some strange policies that make them less than ideal for supporting track cars. In this case they can’t pick up tires at the race shop where they delivered them. The rep I spoke to on the phone didn’t know exactly why that was a thing. They said they can only pick up at the billing address, which is a downtown condo more than an hour away from where the car is stored. I was able to work with a second rep on a workable alternative, so that’s good.
That bass ackwords. You would think they would only pickup at the shipping address if anything.

Quick Reply: Hoosier rep for PCA?