Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 turbo s cobb access port (pdk flashing)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 05:43 AM
weebatron
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 turbo s cobb access port (pdk flashing)

Hello I am new to this forum my dad has a 997.2 tt s and he was wondering if anyone on the forum has the pdk flash on their cars since he came from a m4 the dct in that car was a little smoother so is there any owners that can share their experiences with with me
thanks!
Old 08-18-2018, 04:24 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

We have been seeing various reviews and I feel it has to do with the right support and execution. I would gladly offer you the upgrade and full support for the ultimate experience with a guarantee. Every car is different. Between the various maps offered and the PDK learning procedure you will love it done right! Feel free to reach out anytime!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 08-18-2018, 04:25 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,261 Posts

In for responses. Been researching this for a while.

Seems the Turbo S doesn't benefit from at as much as the standard Turbos do, according to post I've read.

EDIT: Yes, SAM ^^ has made me the offers for 100% happiness promise as well. I'm just still trying to decide when / if to tune or not.

Last edited by Big Swole; 08-18-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:12 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers. That’s the thing I’m trying to clear up some misunderstandings. That is not true and it has nothing to do with it. Same exact gearbox. These cars are getting a little older and they have different mileage/where. Some cars install and run off with no problem. Some need to calibration. It’s pretty much a simple as that. Then some people feel it’s too aggressive or what not which is why there are different settings. The fact is the car will shift faster, firmer, hold more power and it’s much funner to drive as well as a lot of other nice options. But like anything not done right it doesn’t get represented right. I want to serve the community and anything I think he’s nice and people can enjoy.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:58 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

I just did the Cobb PDK and could not be happier. Smoother in my opinion but more aggressive.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:34 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bogey1
I just did the Cobb PDK and could not be happier. Smoother in my opinion but more aggressive.
Glad to hear this! Since you're close, maybe I could get a ride to see how it is prior to purchase.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:45 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Cheers. That’s the thing I’m trying to clear up some misunderstandings. That is not true and it has nothing to do with it. Same exact gearbox. These cars are getting a little older and they have different mileage/where. Some cars install and run off with no problem. Some need to calibration. It’s pretty much a simple as that. Then some people feel it’s too aggressive or what not which is why there are different settings. The fact is the car will shift faster, firmer, hold more power and it’s much funner to drive as well as a lot of other nice options. But like anything not done right it doesn’t get represented right. I want to serve the community and anything I think he’s nice and people can enjoy.
I have a turbo S and did the pdk tune. My car with 21K miles required/requires more attention like you mentioned above. However I agree with Big Swole about the turbo S. This is because the S cars come with a more aggressive tune from the factory, as described to me by two separate P dealerships. So the benefit is not as great. The end result will be the same for both cars but less of an improvement for the S cars. I would say it’s similar to the improvement gain with the Cobb motor tune. The S cars see less of an improvement, but the end result is the same. However, the performance gain is significant enough that the S cars are happy as well with the motor tune.

I should mention my problems might not be completely gone? I’m hoping the previous flash didn’t cause any problems? My car is doing some wierd no boost then full boost pulls. Almost like a wg/bov is stock. But I have no codes. I have a stage 3 ots tune and never had this issue before. Cobb said sometimes if the flash doesn’t go through properly that the ecu and tcm don’t communicate properly which cause several wierd issues... I get 17 psi and sometimes only 1 or 2 psi. It’s very odd. Like a super bad boost leak and then it goes away. Very odd...
Old 08-19-2018, 07:17 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers to that. Sounds like you’re having a sensor issue. Give me a call next week I’ll gladly go over with you. Perhaps we can catch it in a log but either way I’m sure I can help you figure it out if you like.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whosdady

I have a turbo S and did the pdk tune. My car with 21K miles required/requires more attention like you mentioned above. However I agree with Big Swole about the turbo S. This is because the S cars come with a more aggressive tune from the factory, as described to me by two separate P dealerships. So the benefit is not as great. The end result will be the same for both cars but less of an improvement for the S cars. I would say it’s similar to the improvement gain with the Cobb motor tune. The S cars see less of an improvement, but the end result is the same. However, the performance gain is significant enough that the S cars are happy as well with the motor tune.

I should mention my problems might not be completely gone? I’m hoping the previous flash didn’t cause any problems? My car is doing some wierd no boost then full boost pulls. Almost like a wg/bov is stock. But I have no codes. I have a stage 3 ots tune and never had this issue before. Cobb said sometimes if the flash doesn’t go through properly that the ecu and tcm don’t communicate properly which cause several wierd issues... I get 17 psi and sometimes only 1 or 2 psi. It’s very odd. Like a super bad boost leak and then it goes away. Very odd...
Keep us posted brother.

Cheers to that. Sounds like you’re having a sensor issue. Give me a call next week I’ll gladly go over with you. Perhaps we can catch it in a log but either way I’m sure I can help you figure it out if you like.
Thanks Sam for offering to help him. Interested to hear results.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Thank you for the offer. I’m going to give Cobb a call tomorrow and see what they recommend. These are my thoughts.

1) It’s odd this happened right after the tune? It could be a total coincidence or the tune could have been interrupted?
2) The car was so jerky during the tune it could have jolted an ic pipe or fuel hose causing a boost/fuel leak? But the issue is intermittent. It comes and goes. So less likely.
3) A sensor just happened to be going out? My Cobb 3 bar map sensors could be having issues even though they are less than a year and 1000 miles old? Or another sensor?
4) Maybe one or both of the bov’s are stuck? Today under load I heard a high pitch sound.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Just in the form of an update...

I have spoken with Cobb and sent in a couple of 3rd gear pulls, and a screen shot of the codes. Waiting to hear back after their evaluation...
Old 08-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I have spoken with Cobb and sent in a couple of 3rd gear pulls, and a screen shot of the codes. Waiting to hear back after their evaluation...

Hope they get it squared away for ya.

I just got home from having my PDK serviced. So I'm good to go if I decide to tune.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:30 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

You ever get this squared away??

I got an AP now and bought the pdf tune from Sam (Thank you Sir). Haven't loaded it yet though. On duty until Tues.

Keep us posted!
Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Well i got to drive my car today with the PDK "Sport" tune. I Really like the shift strategy of it!! Even seemed a bit smoother as well.

After driving it a bit and getting it up to temp, I did the "Relearn" procedure. Interesting things the car does (sounds, raised rpm's, clunks, etc.) while doing it though.

The drive afterwards seems bit "rougher" at first. Seems like after I put a few miles on it in "sport mode" and in "normal" mode, that it smoothed out a bit. I'm sure since the tolerances were adjusted (tightening things up a bit), that it'll take some time to learn and get completely adjusted.

Secondly, I tried the COBB Stg. 3 - 93 Octane tune.... My car instantly did not like it. Seemed rough and missing a bit. I guess the 3 bar MAP sensors are a MUST for this tune. I immediately switched back to the Stage 2 - 93 Octane OTS tune. MUCH smoother and better running.

I still need to get more miles on it with the tune and PDK tune to get a full review of it, but I'd say buying the PDK tune from SambyDesign was a good move. Now I know why he told me to try the "sport" pdk tune first. The "Aggressive" pdk mode is supposed to hold the gears even longer in each gear. I think that'd be bit too much RPM in each gear for street driving ( Like driving around in Sport Plus was on stock software).
Old 11-27-2018, 10:07 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Well i got to drive my car today with the PDK "Sport" tune. I Really like the shift strategy of it!! Even seemed a bit smoother as well.

After driving it a bit and getting it up to temp, I did the "Relearn" procedure. Interesting things the car does (sounds, raised rpm's, clunks, etc.) while doing it though.

The drive afterwards seems bit "rougher" at first. Seems like after I put a few miles on it in "sport mode" and in "normal" mode, that it smoothed out a bit. I'm sure since the tolerances were adjusted (tightening things up a bit), that it'll take some time to learn and get completely adjusted.

Secondly, I tried the COBB Stg. 3 - 93 Octane tune.... My car instantly did not like it. Seemed rough and missing a bit. I guess the 3 bar MAP sensors are a MUST for this tune. I immediately switched back to the Stage 2 - 93 Octane OTS tune. MUCH smoother and better running.

I still need to get more miles on it with the tune and PDK tune to get a full review of it, but I'd say buying the PDK tune from SambyDesign was a good move. Now I know why he told me to try the "sport" pdk tune first. The "Aggressive" pdk mode is supposed to hold the gears even longer in each gear. I think that'd be bit too much RPM in each gear for street driving ( Like driving around in Sport Plus was on stock software).
Great summary and feedback, thanks!

Quick Reply: 997.2 turbo s cobb access port (pdk flashing)