Sponsored by:

Is this shady or am I paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:36 PM
8Lug
Burning Brakes

Received 820 Likes on 386 Posts
Default Is this shady or am I paranoid?

I came across a beautiful white 997.1 manual Turbo while on a trip to New York State. It has all the options I want including two tone interior. The car only has 26k miles on it and is being sold by a shop that specializes in Porsches. The price is right. Here is what seems odd to me. The dealer gave me copies of the service they performed after they took the car in. They said the car had a small oil leak which required them to drop the motor to access the oil cooler. Not a big deal. When they dropped the engine, they saw that the coolant lines also looked old so they decided as "preventative maintenance" since the motor was already out, to replace and pin all coolant lines, replace both oil coolers (one had the leak), replace the water pump, and replace the clutch.
This seems like an awful lot of expense to go through for a car that they are just going to resell and a car with such low mileage. They seemed proud of the service and volunteered all the information so it's not like they were trying to hide anything. They are a reputable shop. But I'm looking at this from a business stand point and asking myself why on earth would they go through all that expense to make preventive repairs. That cuts right into their profit margin. If they are not being honest, what could have gone mechanically wrong with the car to actually require all these repairs?
Has anyone seen something like this before?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Not too many would do it. All dealers wants to cut corners IMO. Its a business.

But, my 2 cents. Do a PPI then test drive. It is fits, go get it.

Sometimes, you have to make decisions on what you have right now, and not what could have been or what ifs. I have bought cars without service records and I am pretty confident when buying used cars after all these years. I can fix everything else, I just dont like paint work.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Honestly, if they're willing to document it and stand by the service, if the car suits you should take advantage of the situation and purchase.

They likely picked it up for a good price as a trade, and don't want the issues coming back to bite them.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Since they did the work themselves, it might not have been that much of a financial outlay, and having the coolant pipes + leaks fixed would certainly help sell the car more quickly and for all its worth. Porsche shoppers have a reputation for being **** weenies, as you may know.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:51 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Depends on the asking price vs paranoia level....If the price is 87 - 94K, then they most likely took it in trade at a good number 77K and spent the money to fix the issues and still make a quick 7K on the car.
Get an independent PPI and sleep well
Old 08-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Rob32Ford
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased my 2008 TT cab (18k miles) from a Porsche dealer (not a CPO) and they showed me the receipt for the approx. $4600 worth of service they performed prior to putting the car up for sale. They did a PPI when they received the car and ended up replacing the battery, oil change, new steering gear/tie rods since it had a leak, and a wheel alignment. They said they just don't wash them up and put them on the lot. I thought this was great!!
Old 08-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Since they did the work themselves, it might not have been that much of a financial outlay, and having the coolant pipes + leaks fixed would certainly help sell the car more quickly and for all its worth. Porsche shoppers have a reputation for being **** weenies, as you may know.
+1
PPI and jump on it.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:40 PM
Verboden
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

To me the logic would be it costs big X to drop the motor, since that was required to fix the known leak issue any small x price things that either require the motor drop or are much easier/cheaper with the motor dropped become appealing. To argue against paranoid, they think they added big value for those repairs but their cost to do them was much lower than list price for individual services.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:48 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

They received the car from the previous owner. The previous owner probably and he stated he did all the work. The dealer got paperwork and filled them in and made it seem like they did the work. My advice, search for the owner and ask him. Personally, I would walk away. Most dealers distance themselves from situations like this. Think about it, now they have to probably warranty the service. Very odd situation man. I feel your vibe.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That’s called an honest dealer. Once the engine is out it literally takes less than an hour to do the coolant lines. If a reputable tech saw the leaking lines while doing something else, it’s the safe thing to do. Coolant leak at speed can be dangerous. From a business point of view it makes perfect sense, avoids a returning disgruntled customer plus your techs are paid by the hour weather they’re doing oil changes ,engine work or sitting around. The cost benefit analysis is in the dealers favor. Ppi and buy.
c
Old 08-14-2018, 07:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
They received the car from the previous owner. The previous owner probably and he stated he did all the work. The dealer got paperwork and filled them in and made it seem like they did the work. My advice, search for the owner and ask him. Personally, I would walk away. Most dealers distance themselves from situations like this. Think about it, now they have to probably warranty the service. Very odd situation man. I feel your vibe.
That’s fraud, if that’s what happened.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:59 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I trust no one. I live in south Florida. I bought my car used from a Porsche dealer. Bunch of crap goes around here. Payed a little more and was super happy. + on the PPI
Old 08-15-2018, 12:56 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Do your homework on the dealer and do a PPI. To me, sounds like a stand-up dealer to address all the things that probably needed tone done. Could be the perfect car that needs nothing at this point.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
That’s called an honest dealer. Once the engine is out it literally takes less than an hour to do the coolant lines. If a reputable tech saw the leaking lines while doing something else, it’s the safe thing to do. Coolant leak at speed can be dangerous. From a business point of view it makes perfect sense, avoids a returning disgruntled customer plus your techs are paid by the hour weather they’re doing oil changes ,engine work or sitting around. The cost benefit analysis is in the dealers favor. Ppi and buy.
c
Agree
Old 08-15-2018, 08:28 AM
ECB
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

The dealer I bought mine from said they did an oil and filter change when they received it a week before I bought it, and it is documented. I decided to change it anyway and the oil came out black as pitch and the filter was old and dirty. In the auto world, I trust only a limited few people I know.

Quick Reply: Is this shady or am I paranoid?