Sponsored by:

4-Post Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default 4-Post Lifts

Who here has their car on or under a 4 post lift? I am in the process of selecting one from my garage, as part of a remodel/enlargement effort. I was planning to get the Bendpack HD-7W, which is about 100" wide between the posts, but now that I see the garage layout in person, I'm starting to worry it will make the space next to it too narrow. As such, I am thinking now about getting the HD-7P, which is about 90" between the posts. Trying to decide if that will make for an uncomfortable squeeze for the 991TTS? If anyone has a 4 post lift and can post the model or width, and comment on whether it is wide enough, I'd appreciate it.

Gratuitous shot of garage in progress -- slab poured today. Four squares show where HD-7W posts would go.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:55 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi...I owned two Bendpack HD9 ..which is lower in height than the HD7 and I had no problem in a the garage in terms of width. I bought a second home and I needed one of the smallest lifts possible and I bought a Quality Lift model q4p07. I positioned my lift on the far right of the garage instead of the middle like you have it. That way you can park the car as far right as possible giving you more space on the left which is where you are going to get in and out of the car. Porsches are low height and that is good because in some cases two tall cars will not fit one over the other due to ceiling heights....so take measurements. One thing that would be extremely helpful is to put your ceiling dry wall as far up as possible to give you additional ceiling height instead of under the beams. I used 110v without any problems. Now is a good time to make sure you put the outlets close to the corner of your hydraulic system.
The main difference I found between the Quality Lift and Bendpack is the release mechanism. The BendPack you need an air compressor to release the safety mechanism before you lower it whereas the Quality Lift is a lever mechanical release system. Another note is that when you drop the car down make sure all four posts safety latches are released or if one is still engaged you run the risk of f ing up big time as three sides go down and one stay up. Finally, you do not need to secure that bottom but you can if you want to and you do not need to get those wheels to move it around.

Good Luck.
Abe
Old 07-20-2018, 11:21 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Who here has their car on or under a 4 post lift? I am in the process of selecting one from my garage, as part of a remodel/enlargement effort. I was planning to get the Bendpack HD-7W, which is about 100" wide between the posts, but now that I see the garage layout in person, I'm starting to worry it will make the space next to it too narrow. As such, I am thinking now about getting the HD-7P, which is about 90" between the posts. Trying to decide if that will make for an uncomfortable squeeze for the 991TTS? If anyone has a 4 post lift and can post the model or width, and comment on whether it is wide enough, I'd appreciate it.

Gratuitous shot of garage in progress -- slab poured today. Four squares show where HD-7W posts would go.
What's with all that wasted space to the left (beyond the slab)?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:49 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm getting one installed next week and will post a review in my DD thread.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:41 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look at the base of the ramp by the post....you loose a few inches on each side at the base and I blew a tire once by not paying attention. If your Porsche has a wide butt.....that could be an issue so make sure you know the specs. I would go for the wider one.
Abe

Last edited by abe; 07-22-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:01 AM
80's old school
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my setup. Bendpak 4 post, two car lift. Turned a 2 car garage into a 4 car.

BTW... this is an old picture because a 2017 991.2 has replaced the black 997 in the picture!

Old 07-21-2018, 10:49 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgamated Tom
Not wasted. Bench and cabinets will go in the deepest part, and I can park a 6th car in the lower left of that picture by parking perpendicular to the lift. Basically, just claiming all the square footage I can without totally changing the house behind it.
Sorry, bad joke (I was refering to the house--a dream garage should always have more sq ft).
Old 07-22-2018, 02:32 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I got the joke btw
I'm so envious of the folks with a lift, my garage floor has a post stressed slab so can't be cut.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:01 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
I got the joke btw
I'm so envious of the folks with a lift, my garage floor has a post stressed slab so can't be cut.
The narrow bendpak 4post that I'm getting is considered free standing and though I'll be bolting mine to the floor, it is not for reinforcing purposes. Happy shopping
Old 07-22-2018, 10:26 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom
Mine is 92 inches between the posts. C2S is no trouble parking on top or bottom. The lift is free standing on the concrete but far too heavy to move

Sorry about the messy car/garage pictures. After I saw Texascarlovers garage I figured there was no hope in competing....

Name:  photo863.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  762.7 KBName:  photo962.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  725.6 KB
Old 07-22-2018, 07:32 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Sorry, bad joke (I was refering to the house--a dream garage should always have more sq ft).
Ah, sorry, haha! Totally agree. We borrowed from the house as much as we could in the back there, but couldn't go any further without tearing out the big brick fireplace. Once you remove an old wood fireplace you can't replace it, so that was the constraint. Otherwise, we probably would have gone another 10 feet at least

Thanks for all the great pictures everyone. Very glad to hear that a 92" lift is manageable. I'm still hoping to squeeze in the full-width Bendpak at 100.25" but good to know the narrow one would work too at 90.25" if needed.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:49 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
I got the joke btw
Ya don't need to cut with Bendpak HD-9. I have one and a castor kit and can move it around. No reason to drill into your floor.

To the OP I would get the biggest/ heaviest lifting lift you can fit in there. You never know what car you will end up with in the future and you don't want to be limited by your lift. I have the extra wide and extra high version of the HD-9 and I can park my 4 door F150 under it no problem. Love the flexibility that all my cars can go anywhere in my garage top or bottom or either side.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:00 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks Bemo and wareaglescott, time to shop!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Ya don't need to cut with Bendpak HD-9. I have one and a castor kit and can move it around. No reason to drill into your floor.

To the OP I would get the biggest/ heaviest lifting lift you can fit in there. You never know what car you will end up with in the future and you don't want to be limited by your lift. I have the extra wide and extra high version of the HD-9 and I can park my 4 door F150 under it no problem. Love the flexibility that all my cars can go anywhere in my garage top or bottom or either side.
Thanks and understood. With a 16 foot garage door, I just don't want it to be so wide that I can't get a car into the spot next to it. Once I can walk on that concrete, I'll mock up some posts and see if I can fit the full size HD-9 in there. I'm optimistic, but fingers crossed.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:32 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thanks and understood. With a 16 foot garage door, I just don't want it to be so wide that I can't get a car into the spot next to it. Once I can walk on that concrete, I'll mock up some posts and see if I can fit the full size HD-9 in there. I'm optimistic, but fingers crossed.
good thinking. I have an 18' door so a little more pull in room.

Quick Reply: 4-Post Lifts