Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF Sun Tek Ultra Experience and Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 03:05 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default PPF Sun Tek Ultra Experience and Opinions?

Recently, I had my wife's Macan wrapped and, instead of the Sun Tek that was used on my GT3 and Cayenne, Sun Tek Ultra was used. Sunday, I was washing the Macan with my Sun Joe SPX3001 2030 PSI and CR Spotless to remove some bird poop. Washing the car like I do the GT3 and Cayenne, I use the pressure washer to get rid of bird poop and bug remnants. However, while doing so, I saw what appeared to be sap coming up from where the poop was located. So, I kept working at it to get rid of the sap and realized, that's not sap. The sap turned out to be the film that had broken down.

Now, I was washing this car the same as I wash my other cars and, they've never had this happen to the older Sun Tek version of film. Aside from this being a different version of Sun Tek, there is a difference between the GT3 / Cayenne wraps from the Macan in that I skipped CQuartz Nano coating. I'm still working on a solution with my provider but, I wanted to get some opinions from anyone who may have used this product before. As is, I don't want this on any of my future vehicles or on any re-application process and, am thinking of moving away from Sun Tek and going with XPEL. So, I'd appreciate your thoughts and experiences with the Sun Tek Ultra.

Here is my pressure wash set up, it's rated at 2k psi and I'd be surprised if it puts out 1.5k.

Thanks for your input.

Dan (was having a bad PPF day)
Old 07-16-2018, 05:18 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I had Suntek installed to my GTS but it has a Gyeon ceramic coating. Didn't have any issue with it and I am also using pressure washer with it.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Interesting. These films have a warranty so I would assume this would be fixed for free. Looks to be defective

I have no experience with Suntek. All my cars wrapped with Xpel but have heard good things about the clarity of Suntek
Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Strange. I have Sun Tek installed on several of my cars and use a 1900 PSI pressure washer and CR Spotless as well. I do not have Sun Tek Ultra and do not know the differences between that and their "regular" film. I have had zero issues with Sun Tek, CR Spotless, etc. In fact, I like it so much better than the XPEL I was using on some of my cars. Your pics almost look like rock chips or abrasions caused by other road debris.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:33 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry, forgot to add. I'm very happy with Sun Tek and have had nothing but great experience with it. You should take it back to the installer.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:15 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

About to have Suntek Ultra installed on my car (full front clip) along with CQuartz ceramic coating by Moe @ GP, curious to hear if others have had any issues with their Suntek Ultra. IMO pics do make it look like rock chips/debris hitting the film
Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 PM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's from the uric acid? How long were the droppings on there before cleaning?

Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Bird poop shouldn't do that to film. That looks like something impacted the film in those areas.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I have had Suntek (not ultra) on all my cars. No such issues. Your pics look like something penetrated the film and then this was exacerbated by the pressure washer and firm cleaning. Even if it is the film, you should be able to get it replaced, however, I don’t think it’s a Suntek Ultra problem.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:40 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree with everyone else. This is exactly what it looks like when you have an impact that breaks the film. Bad news is that you’ll need to put on a new piece of film. Good news is that it did exactly what it was suppose to do and protected the paint.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:10 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Although I agree, it looks like impact, the only thing impacting the PPF was water unless some how some particulate managed to get into the system. I don't see how anything other than the water was contacting the PPF given it's going through the CR Spotless distillation process. Prior to the effort to get rid of the bird poop, there wasn't any evidence of impact, it was a brand new installation less than a month old. I'm still not sure what the root cause is for what happened and, I'm wondering if will repeat in the future.

I still haven't resolved a solution with my installer yet, I'm not quite sure how replacement of the film is going to be received. But, replacing it without knowing what caused the problem and finding out if it will happen again and, how to avoid it is just waiting for the problem to reappear again. I may need to try to rinse and repeat, sorry for the pun, to try to figure it out. One thing I will need to do is open up the CR spotless and, make sure there are no floating materials that could have somehow entered into the tanks.

I'm going to wait for more comments before deciding what to do. Thanks for the responses and, I look forward to more.

Dan (appreciates everyone's thoughts)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Odd. Doesn’t look like impact to me.

Was the bird crap a big white messy one, reddish one, or small black.

It matters. The latter 2 tend to have berry seeds or sand in them and are an sob.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

If there were contaminants in your tank there would be damage in other locations other then the be exact spot the bird poop was located.
I would insist the entire film be removed under warranty since if it’s defective it’s likely the entire batch which is on the car.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Something like bug guts dried on the surface will focus a lot of pressure on a tiny little spot. Dried bug guts are very tenacious, almost like an adhesive, and need to be soaked for a while to remove them. That would be my guess. Your PPF installer may not warrenty that if he knows a pressure washer was used. I once was trying to clean bug guts from a new car without film. Thought it was coming off by the water pattern, then water pattern go bigger. I blew off the clear coat over the red paint.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:14 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 702 Posts

I'm having Suntek Ultra PPF applied as we speak at Invisibra in DFW. I think the only difference between Ultra and non-Ultra is a hydrophobic top coat and a 10 year warranty (not 5 year).

Quick Reply: PPF Sun Tek Ultra Experience and Opinions?