Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light-need RL knowledge base!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:34 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Check engine light-need RL knowledge base!

My 2016 gt3 with sharkwerks center exhaust delete as the only mod has now thrown two "engine control fault, consult a workshop, driving permitted" cel's. Dealer says that they can't replicate the fault after clearing the code. They're telling me that these faults are related to the center exhaust. Anybody have this issue? I can't come up with a reason as to why the center delete would cause a cel after 2 years. Any insight would be welcomed.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:38 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

It's not related to the center exhaust ..
Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely not related to the center exhaust and that does NOT void any warranties.. What were the codes?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:49 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

That's what I was thinking. I'm glad you guys agree.

Code is P0492. It's a secondary air injection problem code! I have no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited by CobaltCr; 07-16-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:30 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

The secondary air injection system, commonly found on Audi, BMW, Porsche and VW vehicles – and may be found on other vehicles – features an air pump, an exhaust manifold, an input check valve, vacuum control switch, an electrical input circuit for the vacuum control switch and tons of vacuum hoses. This system pumps fresh air into exhaust system during cold starts to feed oxygen and exhaust gases. This ensures a more complete burn of harmful emissions – hydrocarbons. After about minute, the system turns itself off.

Potential causes for a P0492 may include:
Faulty exhaust manifold check valve
A fuse or relay for the secondary air injection pump may be faulty
A faulty air pump Leaking vacuum hose
A bad vacuum control switch
A dislodged a vacuum line
A leak in the hoses/piping between the secondary air injection pump and the Combi or secondary air injection
A sensor for the secondary air pressure may be faulty
The combi valve itself is faulty
The secondary air injection port in the cylinder head may be plugged with carbon
The secondary air injection ports in the cylinder head may by clogged

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0492
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Old 07-16-2018, 02:56 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Thanks arter. I saw that too. I've spoken to them about my thoughts and I'll update once I get more info. Hopefully they don't keep going down the center delete pathway.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:25 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Has anyone else had this particular fault or am I the only one I wonder?
Old 07-17-2018, 03:26 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the center sw exhaust... But never experienced a cel in my first 3000 km ..
Old 07-17-2018, 03:30 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Sw is not causing this. But. Code is emissions related. Unless you have another dealer humor them and swap the center section. Make it an “i told you so moment”

but has it occured more more than once? This is a cold start thing. May take several drive cycles. Are all your emissions readiness indicators set?

dealer can short test the secondary air with piwis
Old 07-17-2018, 06:49 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Sw is not causing this. But. Code is emissions related. Unless you have another dealer humor them and swap the center section. Make it an “i told you so moment”

but has it occured more more than once? This is a cold start thing. May take several drive cycles. Are all your emissions readiness indicators set?

dealer can short test the secondary air with piwis
Thanks for the feedback. It's happened twice now. Dealer says after clearing the code they can't get it to fail again. Data sent to Porsche and they're awaiting a response. Apparently the secondary air injection system checks out with no problems.

What are emissions readiness indicators?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:09 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I went through a long series of CELs reported as secondary air system fault with my 2014 GT3 with an E-series engine. It must have been in the shop a total of 3 months over 1.5 years with the dealer working with the Zone rep to try and figure out what was wrong. One of the bogus "fixes" was to remove my Mini-Maxflows, which made no difference but cost me a lot of $ to have the original factory muffler installed. Over time, they claimed to have replace every component in the secondary air system twice. FINALLY, when the car was in for it's 48k service, the fault had just happened. There was another 2014 in the used car showroom. The technician put them side-by-side on lifts and compared every measurement he could find. He finally decided the air pump was different and replace that. The problem went away and didn't recur before I sold it with 63k miles in February.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:35 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Originally Posted by scb997
I went through a long series of CELs reported as secondary air system fault with my 2014 GT3 with an E-series engine. It must have been in the shop a total of 3 months over 1.5 years with the dealer working with the Zone rep to try and figure out what was wrong. One of the bogus "fixes" was to remove my Mini-Maxflows, which made no difference but cost me a lot of $ to have the original factory muffler installed. Over time, they claimed to have replace every component in the secondary air system twice. FINALLY, when the car was in for it's 48k service, the fault had just happened. There was another 2014 in the used car showroom. The technician put them side-by-side on lifts and compared every measurement he could find. He finally decided the air pump was different and replace that. The problem went away and didn't recur before I sold it with 63k miles in February.
That's a good data point. I'll let my service advisor know of your story if they don't come up with a solution. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Check engine light-need RL knowledge base!