Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Carrera T Driving Review

Hope you enjoy the video
Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Good vid there. Man I'm jonesin' to get mine....
Old 07-16-2018, 08:35 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice review! We just got ours in and I agree the contrast with the mirrors works well with the car we also did side script to match the mirrors. Have fun and I look forward to seeing some more videos! https://www.porschefresno.com/new/Po...cc6155964c.htm
Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy M
Good vid there. Man I'm jonesin' to get mine....
Thanks Randy! It will be here before you know it. The last week i was admittedly going bananas tracking the boat though.. lol
Old 07-16-2018, 04:27 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Cool video, thanks for sharing
Old 07-16-2018, 04:34 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I think the 'less weight and sound insulation' is just a marketing gimmick. It doesn't sound any different than any different than a base, S, or GTS with PSE inside and is fundamentally the same experience, but slightly better handling than the base (lower/ firmer suspension, standard 20 inch wheels, and optional rear steering) and slightly worse than S/GTS (loaded with the same + more options).

I really don't think its that special...the Touring is more of a packaged bundle/ trim for someone who can't afford a loaded S or GTS, but wants sport PASM and rear steering. It makes a lot of sense with a manual, bucket seats, and limited to no options (other than rear steering, which is a huge deal/ must have after experiencing it). The T is great for the buyer who is the type who can't afford loading up an S model with options, but wants some them on a base. Stability of AWD and S power / handling bits gets my pick any day...a loaded GTS or S model is still the better car, especially if you plan to drive it daily. I'm sure many order a loaded T and over pay at nearly 150k instead of an C4S/GTS4 and that's something I'll never understand...heck I think that a loaded CPO S is a heck of a deal compared to a new T.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

A loaded S is a sweet car! Gts even more so! A loaded S (pdk, sunroof, bose, 18 ways, leather everything) also probably weighs at least 100-150lb more, negating a good chunk of the power difference. A loaded cab S is probably slower than a T from a roll. Gts is a diff category altogether. Its not always about the power.
Also, there is nothing wrong with not being able to afford, or choosing not to pay for a gts. You still get a 911. I personally couldnt really afford more, but some folks like the faster reving smaller turbo feel.
At the end of the day, a used higher model is great! The way I optioned my T (with literally 3 options) it came out to about the same price as a cpo S so for me it was a no brainer.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:11 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Great video.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:38 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Of course talking about which is faster is kinda silly... they'll all really fast and response/feel is more critical at this point. I was going to get a base or T - its a great engine. S is more or less the same, with only a hint of more high end boost (16-17 for a split second instead of stopping at 13 on base/T), but I don't think it feels any different (or any more 'NA like' as auto journalists claim). The base/T and S have pretty much the same turbos, but the base/T is de-tuned to be slower. De-tuned simply means the turbos don't boost as high, which happens mid to higher RPMs. If you rev them both low to mid, its very difficult to tell the difference, but the S has 50 more torque in that range assuming you're using all the boost (pedal floored and enough time for turbos to spool to 100%). I guess the difference is best described is the base is more 'tame' and doesn't peak as much, which many would associate with slower/less fun, but when the cars are already so quick, it may be a comfort thing. A MT car is obviously going to be slower and drive differently than a PDK car and that difference alone will make one faster than the other. I personally like the turbo power as a daily driver and don't miss the NA much...give me more boost, but no lag!

I don't think GTS is 'in a different category.' In the same way the base compares to S, the GTS has bigger turbos and more boost at peaks than the S. The GTS has 50 more torque throughout the mid range. I haven't driven one, but doubt it has more lag due to bigger turbos...however that's possible if its like other cars (small turbos spool faster and a bigger engine hides the lag). Comparing how a GTS rides back to back to a T/base would be a good test. Both have the same engine, but GTS is a heck of a lot more boosted power.

IMO, sports chrono and PDK is what really makes these cars crazy fast. Launch control is how you get ~3 seconds 0-60. No idea about other model, but my C4S will do this without a sweat even going up slight grade...fast enough to make your stomach turn and head planted to the seat...the 0-60 time difference between 3.0 (GTS), 3.2 (S), 3.4 (Base/T), or even GT3 (tested 2.8 to 3.2) using launch control moot. I don't really use it in normal driving and the reality is its a really responsive high torque engine whether its a T or S or GTS. I think the Porsche spec published is more realistic without launch control (~4.5 for base, ~4 sec for T/ S, ~3.5 for GTS, and ~3 for GT3). I think Porsche did good in this generation's model lineup and its hard to go wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Catharpin (01-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

^ this is a really good post
Old 07-16-2018, 07:04 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As a GTS owner myself, there are some features in the T that I drool over. Nice car man
Old 07-16-2018, 07:57 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 275 Posts

Lots of great points after a great video. For me it was about personal choice and value versus what I can afford. I can afford a lot more car than the T but there were other considerations for me. I have had fun with power, think C63 AMG and M3 but you can never use that power on the street without too much risk. I built mine with minimal options, 7MT, Chrono, LWBS and interior T package. That's pretty much it. I want something I can just drive without too many aids. I even skipped the RWS just to keep things more "simple". Granted there is a bit of marketing in the concept for this model but it's what I was looking for and now that I ordered it I cant hardly wait till it's here.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 AM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I passed on an S as it had no sport chrono and stock being limited for nicely optioned new 2017s ended up with a base.
I did look at a new 2018 T and it was nicely priced between an S and base but out of state logistics were a challenge, and this being my first foray into 911s settled for base for now.
Figure I use the money saved to Cobb my base next week.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:27 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
I think the 'less weight and sound insulation' is just a marketing gimmick. It doesn't sound any different than any different than a base, S, or GTS with PSE inside and is fundamentally the same experience, but slightly better handling than the base (lower/ firmer suspension, standard 20 inch wheels, and optional rear steering) and slightly worse than S/GTS (loaded with the same + more options).

I really don't think its that special...the Touring is more of a packaged bundle/ trim for someone who can't afford a loaded S or GTS, but wants sport PASM and rear steering. It makes a lot of sense with a manual, bucket seats, and limited to no options (other than rear steering, which is a huge deal/ must have after experiencing it). The T is great for the buyer who is the type who can't afford loading up an S model with options, but wants some them on a base. Stability of AWD and S power / handling bits gets my pick any day...a loaded GTS or S model is still the better car, especially if you plan to drive it daily. I'm sure many order a loaded T and over pay at nearly 150k instead of an C4S/GTS4 and that's something I'll never understand...heck I think that a loaded CPO S is a heck of a deal compared to a new T.
Have you actually driven a T?

Lots of generalizations and baseless comments in your post.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blurum
I passed on an S as it had no sport chrono and stock being limited for nicely optioned new 2017s ended up with a base.
I did look at a new 2018 T and it was nicely priced between an S and base but out of state logistics were a challenge, and this being my first foray into 911s settled for base for now.
Figure I use the money saved to Cobb my base next week.
Congrats on you new car!!! Pics or it didnt happen
The Carrera is one of the most bad as$ cars on the street. I really feel like the open diff on the Carrera actually makes it more difficult to spin the rear tires and it feels "more stable" (until you start driving like a hooligan). Its going to be an animal with the ECU flash. If you also got the PDK its going to be a laser beam.

Quick Reply: Carrera T Driving Review