Notices

Trumps tariffs a potential threat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:32 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts
Default Trumps tariffs a potential threat?

So I know a lot of guys are worried about Trump’s tariffs on cars that they’ve ordered and have coming in.

I don’t see how tariffs on an existing deal and purchase esspecially ones with down payments made by way of monies or trade-ins can affect a deal Ex Post Facto or another words after the fact. This would amount to a denial or deprivation of property without due process.

The way I see It those who have a deal and a purchase order with a down payment have constructive title to the car and are only waiting delivery which cannot be changed or affected by the government after the fact. I only see tariffs affecting deals that are structured and reached in the future.

Candidly a 20% tariff or tax on my car or these cars which are at least $40,000 or more is a game changer at least for me.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Bilbobaggins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not exactly, if the car is not titled and a purchase order has not been completed, the car has not been sold and changes can happen. Most people have a dealer agreement that is generated, but 99% of the people have not signed the full sales sheet aka that long old school paper and if changes occur then that is reflected accordingly at the time of sale.

People have made “deals” on cars and the tax rate increased, msrp increased, options got delayed or removed, etc and they had to pay the difference or walk away from the deal.

The dealer does not care and is not responsible for any increase in production cost. If you are not comfortable with paying the additional amount due to a change, you can get your deposit back.

So pretty much without an official bill of sale you have nothing. Heck most people with orders in don’t even have a VIN number at this point which just shows you “bought” an allocation which can change at anytime as you have no claim or bill of sale for an exact car yet.

So long story short, until your exact car is here and ready to go, you are subject to any and all changes. The only time things get locked in is when your dealer has officially paid for the car and is now considered theirs which allows them to sell it to you.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
So I know a lot of guys are worried about Trump’s tariffs on cars that they’ve ordered and have coming in.

I don’t see how tariffs on an existing deal and purchase esspecially ones with down payments made by way of monies or trade-ins can affect a deal Ex Post Facto or another words after the fact. This would amount to a denial or deprivation of property without due process.

The way I see It those who have a deal and a purchase order with a down payment have constructive title to the car and are only waiting delivery which cannot be changed or affected by the government after the fact. I only see tariffs affecting deals that are structured and reached in the future.

Candidly a 20% tariff or tax on my car or these cars which are at least $40,000 or more is a game changer at least for me.
+1 So I already completed the purchase process and my car's VIN is already registered with the Ca DMV ... collecting it in Zuffenhausen in ~ 2 weeks time.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilbobaggins
Not exactly, if the car is not titled and a purchase order has not been completed, the car has not been sold and changes can happen. Most people have a dealer agreement that is generated, but 99% of the people have not signed the full sales sheet aka that long old school paper and if changes occur then that is reflected accordingly at the time of sale.

People have made “deals” on cars and the tax rate increased, msrp increased, options got delayed or removed, etc and they had to pay the difference or walk away from the deal.

The dealer does not care and is not responsible for any increase in production cost. If you are not comfortable with paying the additional amount due to a change, you can get your deposit back.

So pretty much without an official bill of sale you have nothing. Heck most people with orders in don’t even have a VIN number at this point which just shows you “bought” an allocation which can change at anytime as you have no claim or bill of sale for an exact car yet.
+1 which is why I did this earlier than I would have for ED, "just in case" - once the car has a VIN and has been released into dealer inventory you can complete the purchase.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Above poster is 100% correct .........my current business we had some deals done which were over 1B dollars, and products were being manufactured. Tariffs were approved last year by the US, and we were released from the deal. Went to court for 6 months, and won tarrifs were deemed illegal by the WTO back to original agreement. If you have not taken delivery it’s not a sale.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:23 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

If you look at the back of the Buyers Order there should be a language that states the dealer is not responsible if the manufacturer increases the price or a price increase out of the dealer’s control. All these contracts are written taking into consideration the dealers best interest as you can imagine.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:30 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 104 Posts

I lead int'l sales at a consumer goods business. I'm regularly moving product across markets and for the life of me cant believe a vehicle entering the US would be grandfathered into a lower duty rate regardless of when a bill of sale is signed or when the vehicle is registered in CA. I could be wrong.... but am certainly skeptical.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

As I posted elsewhere, So far once Trump has decided to apply tariffs, he generally gives a 60-90 day period for the countries affected to negotiate. China has rejected his strong arm tactics and now fully engaged in the trade war. So have Mexico and Canada. I didn't think Trump is ready to engage the EU regarding cars just yet. Apparently there are discussions i.e. drop all tariffs on cars and trucks by both sides. However, the US is reluctant to do so because it has a 20% tariff on all types of truck build outside the US. Trucks are a huge profit maker for the US car manufacturers.

If China capitulates, he'll go full bore against European carmakers. Like many, if the tariff is applied to my car it'll be close to $50,000. I will walk away.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 So I already completed the purchase process and my car's VIN is already registered with the Ca DMV ... collecting it in Zuffenhausen in ~ 2 weeks time.
This still may be iffy. The car was built in Germany, never touched land in the US (even though titled in CA) and now entering the US. If the tariff is imposed while the car is still overseas, the US will collect the tax once it hits the US shore. The only difference is you rather than Porsche will play the tax. All US cars get their VN numbers before leaving the factory. That isn't much of a safeguard against the tariff.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:51 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't want to talk about this.........I'm going to get drunk.....
Old 07-13-2018, 07:56 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I will also have to walk away if the tariff comes into play. I have said from the start, which was almost 2 years ago. Until the car is in my driveway, anything can happen. So far, I have been lucky. I have a car at MSRP, I have a configuration and a build date of the 1st week in October. I have already confirmed my vehicle delivery to the Porsche experience in LA for early January , Now we have the possibility of a tariff, all this time and work possibly for nothing. Oh well, it may not make it to my driveway.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I think the odds of this tariff actually happening are very low. But f i had a car on order i am not saying it wouldn’t be on my mind, because it would.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:02 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I don't want to talk about this.........I'm going to get drunk.....
Haha, I like your approach.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Fortunately, some of us have the .2GT3 to salve our wound should the tariff be imposed. The upside is Porsche used cars will get a boost in value.

One other point. I was told that US Porsche employees are very concerned. The impact on their lives and family will be significant.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

The impact of tariffs will be to destroy thousands upon thousands of jobs many in red states. He will not get reelected and his popularity will plummet. The economy will go in the chitter and it will be a real chit show.

they still have my.1 RS that I traded in. Wondering whether I should go get it and cancel the deal . My delivery date is October. .

there is no effing way I am going to pay $40,000-$50,000 government tax on top of what I’m paying for the car .

I am not sure if I complete the purchase once we have a Vin number and get a bill of sale from them whether that will protect me from the tariff. Candidly I do not know. . I would hate to go in even deeper and still get hit with a tariff

Quick Reply: Trumps tariffs a potential threat?