Sponsored by:

KW Motorsport 3 ways

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 03:47 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
Default KW Motorsport 3 ways

Wanted to see if anyone is using these and wanted to get your impressions on them
Old 07-13-2018, 02:17 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Will let you know in a month or so. I'm taking delivery of a car from Manthey-Racing that has the KW3 setup.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I’ve only ridden in cars with them. They work. They do not have the suppleness of ohlins or jrz Motorsport dampers.
Exact same feeling to me comparing clubsport kw vs the ttx i have. Controlled and accurate but not the suppleness. From the kw guys supposedly the clubsport s have same internals as the Motorsport dampers. Who knows if true
My opinion is the ohlins are a better damper.
Im sure mr will have done some magic to them.
its something with the valve design. I feel this way about every kw setup I’ve driven.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:06 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I’ve only ridden in cars with them. They work. They do not have the suppleness of ohlins or jrz Motorsport dampers.
Exact same feeling to me comparing clubsport kw vs the ttx i have. Controlled and accurate but not the suppleness. From the kw guys supposedly the clubsport s have same internals as the Motorsport dampers. Who knows if true
My opinion is the ohlins are a better damper.
Im sure mr will have done some magic to them.
its something with the valve design. I feel this way about every kw setup I’ve driven.
Interesting. So as you know i sold my jrz RS pro 2 ways. Joey highly recommends the cup motorsport 3 ways with his rear adapters.

I've been stuck on the what to do next ever since I sold the jrz. These kws, the Tractive, Penske, or ohlins. I've heard a lot of mixed review on the Penske. Ohlin ttx has a lot of good reviews. Tractive from those I know using them seem to be happy.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:48 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I have a Manthey customized set on my 991 turbo, KW competition (991GT3R) with remotes, the same they use on their race cars and on the street 991 GTR3RS Hockenheim record holder, I have used them on 3 time attack races this year and won unlimited class in the three of them. Difficult to say which brand is better, but these definitely work great. Michael Grassl is the contact person, if you need contacts let me know.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:03 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
Will let you know in a month or so. I'm taking delivery of a car from Manthey-Racing that has the KW3 setup.
You're getting the Cup 2 MR from Manthey? I thoroughly checked it 3 weeks ago there, almost pulled the trigger but ended up getting something else. Congrats, sexiest I have ever seen and almost RSR-like lap times.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:57 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Interesting. So as you know i sold my jrz RS pro 2 ways. Joey highly recommends the cup motorsport 3 ways with his rear adapters.

I've been stuck on the what to do next ever since I sold the jrz. These kws, the Tractive, Penske, or ohlins. I've heard a lot of mixed review on the Penske. Ohlin ttx has a lot of good reviews. Tractive from those I know using them seem to be happy.
What's your target use? Several great choices in the high end race damper market from a number of manufacturers. For serious track work I would also take a long hard look at the JRZ Motorsport 3 way dampers. These are available off the shelf or can be built to your custom specifications and also available as 4 ways. Substantially higher end shock than the RS Pro 2 way dampers you had which in and of itself is a fantastic shock. Compared to the RS Pro dampers, the Motorsport 3 ways have larger pistons and huge remote canisters (almost twice the RS canister volume), both all of which greatly improve the response of the damper. The downside of the Motorsport 3 ways is the cost which is double that of the RS Pro dampers. I'm not sure I would go the Motorsport route for a mainly street use car however. Good luck getting it sorted. Getting the perfect suspension for a particular use is a bit a black science with even seemingly subtle changes like tender spring rates can make a big difference. Make sure everything is calculated for your particular application as one size does not fit all. Choose wisely...

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-16-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:38 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
You're getting the Cup 2 MR from Manthey? I thoroughly checked it 3 weeks ago there, almost pulled the trigger but ended up getting something else. Congrats, sexiest I have ever seen and almost RSR-like lap times.
Ha...yes. It took quite a bit of effort to make it happen for a North America customer but I can't wait to get my hands on it. USA is getting 3 of them.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I’d love try out a manthey kit in the us.

tye you aren’t tracking your car right?

what are your goals with the shocks?
Old 07-17-2018, 02:18 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

I’d love try out a manthey kit in the us.

tye you aren’t tracking your car right?

what are your goals with the shocks?
Actually yes I am. Took time off as I was doing my big build on this car but ready to get back out there now as this stage of my build is done for now.

Goals is to have confidence inspiring control, grip and feedback. I know this may sound crazy but I haven't been able to get this car setup as good as my old bmw e36 with jrz and a **** ton else was. That car was so predictable and confidence inspiring.
Name:  photo932.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  512.1 KB
Name:  photo425.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  329.1 KB
Old 07-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Who has setup and aligned the car? I suspect it’s not the shocks.

im an ohlins fan. When a Porsche factory pro drives the car on track and says “ it’s good don’t change it” that says something. The suppleness yet control is something for our rough tracks here.

But all these shocks are great. Probably not one better or worse really. It’s all in the setup and calibration. And. What you like in feel.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:52 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

When a Porsche factory pro drives the car on track and says “ it’s good don’t change it” that says something.

So what do we do if we want them to say wow this is amazing

Quick Reply: KW Motorsport 3 ways